1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Solar roof option on Prius 3?

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Main Forum' started by DrPepperholik, Apr 25, 2014.

1. DrPepperholik

DrPepperholik Active Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    I'm wanting to buy a Prius next month and have determined the Three has the options I want, back up camera, Bluetooth, available solar roof package. I emailed a local dealer about pricing on one and the saleswoman told me the solar roof is only available on the Prius Five so she asked if I wanted a Prius Five with trim level 3 and the solar roof then. Toyota's website shows the Prius Three has an available solar roof. Is she just trying to sell a Five then?

I have never bought a car that wasn't on the lot before. How does that work? I'm in the SET area. Do I just go to the dealer and tell them what I want and they get it and give me a price? I've given her some VIN numbers that I found online doing the build option on Toyota.com then searching inventory and she said they're showing up as sold.

2. 3PriusMike

3PriusMike Prius owner since 2000, Tesla M3 2018

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    First make sure you aren't confusing the terminology. The current Prius is generation 3, this is the 2010 design and there have been a few minor improvements and differences in trim levels in 2011 - 2014. The Prius three and Prius four trim levels have solar as an option. The Prius five, I believe, does not (if it is the same as prior years) due to weight considerations.
    There is also a Prius V which is a different model altogether (bigger, lower mpg, more like a station wagon or mini SUV than a hatchback).
    I'm not sure what a Prius Five trim level 3 is...but maybe I just haven't kept up on the latest terminology.

Finally, you do know that the solar option just runs ventilation fans, right? It is a pretty expensive option to just pre-cool the car. It does not charge the battery. If you want to do that you need to get the plug-in Prius (aka PIP).

Mike

elementnomore and hybridbear like this.
  3. DrPepperholik

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Yeah, she said it was the wagon version, so the Prius V. What I want is the Prius Hatchback Trim 3 with solar roof.

I understand it just runs ventilation fans and you can turn on the AC remotely for just a few min. I think it'd be cool to have.

The infrastructure for charging stations isn't in my area so the benefit wouldn't be there yet.

This is what she said in her email:

The Solar roof Only Comes on the Prius V-Which is the Wagon Version.
    So are you wanting a Prius V three in Blizzard Pearl..with Solar Roof-Panel

4. css28

css28 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Totally incorrect.

We have the solar sunroof and we like it very much!

elementnomore and hybridbear like this.
  5. DrPepperholik

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Good to know. I think she either doesn't know what she's talking about or she wants to push the more expensive wagon model.

I have only found one on a lot and I'm not sure I like the color, Sea Glass Pearl. Would adding leather add a lot to the weight of the vehicle since the solar roof adds about 50 pounds I've read? I mean leather not the Softex (spelling?) which would weigh more.

6. Paradox

Paradox Prius Enthusiast / Moderator
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five

And here is where confusion continues. The station wagon Prius is the Prius v. Important, Lowercase v.

The Prius V, uppercase v, was ONLY for 2010. They used Roman Numerals in 2010 for model designation. Then beginning 2011, it went Two, Three etc.

It is important to stress the difference between Prius v and Prius V as it does cause confusion many times here on Priuschat.

So Prius models in 2010 were Prius II Prius III Prius IV and Prius V. After that in 2011 It's Prius Two Prius Three Prius Four and Prius Five.

hybridbear likes this.
  7. jdk2

jdk2 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    She's also pushing the $400 extra fee for the blizzard pearl.

8. DrPepperholik

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius
    Model:
    Three

That's what I want is the Blizzard Pearl. So a 2014 Prius Three Blizzard Pearl with solar roof but they don't have it in stock.

What is the inventory when I go on Toyota.com and build one it gives the option to narrow inventory results. I should mention this is in the SET area. Is that just all the cars available in the SET area?

9. Paradox

Paradox Prius Enthusiast / Moderator
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    Yeah, some regions just can't get cars with certain options, it's happened to some before. If you want what cannot be had in your region, you may have to buy from an area that can get it. Not saying that's 100% what's happening to you but it has happened before to people.

In my region at one point some time ago they weren't getting any Prius with a certain option, it may have been the solar roof. Eventually that changed but there was a time when they just couldn't get them and those who wanted it had to go to another state that got them and buy there.

10. jdk2

jdk2 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    You can narrow your search down by zipcode. Then select the year, model (II, III, IV, V), pick a color, then skip down to options. Select Display audio with entune, then go back to packages and select Solar Roof. It will list all of the cars in inventory as well as those destined to the dealers from SET.

hybridbear likes this.
  11. DrPepperholik

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Dang. That would suck. Unfortunately I don't think there is another region nearby. I'm in South Carolina.

That's exactly what I did. Got the VIN numbers gave them to the dealer and she said they were listed as sold. I'd love this one:
    Southeast Toyota :: Prius

12. css28

css28 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    So, do the search.

If the dealership really wants your business they might be willing to do a dealer exchange.

I bought a Volt last year and my local dealer did an exchange with a dealer 250 miles away that had what I wanted.

13. DrPepperholik

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius
    Model:
    Three

That's how I got my Mustang. I wanted a specific color and most dealers didn't have it. I found one that did and it happened it was a dealer trade. Another one wanted something they had, traded the one I ended up getting for it. But it was already on the lot when I got there.

She just emailed one to me. It's got all the clear paint protection stuff that I don't want, but perhaps I can negotiate that off.

14. 3PriusMike

3PriusMike Prius owner since 2000, Tesla M3 2018

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    I'd make it clear that you will only pay for exactly what you want or you'll walk or wait.
    If they have what you want, plus something extra don't pay for the extra.

Mike

15. ny_rob

ny_rob Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    If you can get the clear coat protection for a reasonable discount I'd consider it.
    I had two Blizzard Pearl Prius's.. the front bumper and hood chip very easily, and Blizzard Pearl isn't easy to touch up.
    Keep in mind that the plastic front and rear bumper covers are black plastic under that nice white Blizzard Pearl so every nick from road rocks shows up very prominently as a black chip on a white background.

jdk2 likes this.
  16. jdk2

jdk2 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    Like ny_rob mentioned, the front of the car will chip very easily. Mine has about 4500 miles on it and looks like I've been up the Alcan Highway when it was a dirt road. I believe bugs will chip the paint :censored:

Try to get the protection pkg at a discount. You'll be glad you got it.

17. JimN

JimN Let the games begin!

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    The closest states in other regions are TN in Cincinnati Region & VA in Central Atlantic Region. Toyota builds what the regions order.

I don't know how plentiful white Three Solars are so you may have to cast a wide net to find what you want. Use the AAA buying program if you are a member or truecar.com.

The Prius is a scratch magnet. Get quotes from good local installers of 3M or VentureShield protective film and compare those prices to what the dealer wants. The cups in the doors take a beating as will the top of the rear bumper cover.

Read through Car Buying Guide for New and Used Vehicles | CarBuyingTips.com.

Buying experiences range from the local dealer having exactly the desired car on the lot to having to look far and wide for months. You may find some things you thought were junk are really useful. (The $69 lug nuts are junk. Insist on getting them replaced with regular ones.) Compromising on little things will sting up front but will be forgotten as the years roll on & the miles build up because you're happy with the car overall.

Happy hunting & best wishes for finding exactly what you want close to home at a good price.

18. randommonks

randommonks Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    I had my car driven over from a dealership an hour south of me. The upside was that I didn't have to travel that distance to purchase the car in the color and trim level I wanted. I tried to get them to tow the Prius or put it on one of those shipping trucks but no dice. I received the car with 79 miles on it, which I really didn't mind. The downside was that when I needed my 3M clear bra replaced under warranty, my local dealership denied the replacement and told me I'd have to drive it down to the original dealership to get it replaced.
    What turned me away from buying a Prius with the solar roof was the cost of replacement. It adds weight to the car without really adding a useable feature imo. Also, I saw several threads that showed corrosion of the solar panels just outside of the warranty range. I already obsess over my car; I don't need something else to worry about! :LOL:

One weird benefit that I also got was that there was a bunch of dealership add-ons from the original dealership that I guess didn't show up on the dealership invoice (paint protection, glass breakage protection, window tinting, etc.) that would have cost me close to $3000 on top of the original cost of the car. I didn't get charged for any of those since my local dealership and I had already negotiated a final price on the car.

19. DrPepperholik

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Thanks guys! I will try to get that for a discount then. With my Mustang they drove it the 200 some odd miles from GA to SC on the dealer trade (done before I even saw the car, it was the offering) so it already had that on it when I got it. Would have been nice to have only a few. Within a couple of weeks driving it they were doing construction on I-85 and a van got in front of me, kicked up gravel bits and dinged the hood.

I've never had a car with special paint before, is it hard to maintain? My other preference is for sea glass pearl or silver, if the blizzard is too hard to maintain I might just go with one of the others.

The corrosion, is that from exposure to the elements? The only time my car is outside is when I'm at work, the grocery store, shopping or visiting family for a day. It sleeps in the garage.

20. ny_rob

ny_rob Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    There's no difference in paint maintenance between three step (base pigment coat, metalized/pearl coat, clear coat) finishes like the Blizzard Pearl and regular two step (base pigment coat, clear coat) paints.

The difficulty with three step paint is touch-up work since the metalized/pearl coat is dependent on the person applying it. If he sprays too much it's too metallic/pearl and it covers the base pigment, if he sprays too little the base pigment shows through. Either way the repaired section doesn't match the rest of the car. They usually have to shoot 3-5 test panels to get the right blend... and all that takes time and additional paint at additional expense.
    It's also more difficult for car owners to touch-up with those little $10 brush top touch-up bottles the dealers sell because you need all three paints and again you need to get the 2nd pearl coat just right.

I'm not trying to scare you off the Blizzard Pearl, it's a beautiful color.
    If you don't do a lot of highway driving with trucks throwing up stones all the time it will hold up great.
    If you do lots of highway driving that front bumper and hood will get chipped up pretty quick and you'll easily notice the black plastic under the white paint on the bumper. If I was to get another white car- I'd get the clear protection on the car before I take delivery...

21. DrPepperholik

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius
    Model:
    Three

Interesting. Would the clear protection actually protect the paint?