1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Solar sun roof - Thought it was gimmicky at first....

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Main Forum' started by Oskar, Sep 9, 2014.

1. Oskar

Oskar Member

Vehicle:
    2020 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Limited
    but have to say I'm pleasantly surprised at how well it works and how efficient it is. While I do live in the northeast where it's not consistently hot we do have our dog days, and the sun roof worked exactly as described. Yeah it's pricey as part of that whole package, but at least they added a small, neat feature to it.

2. Grren4ever

Grren4ever Active Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    I wish I got the sunroof solar package!

3. fotomoto

fotomoto Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    I loved it on mine and actually found it worked even better here in the fall and winter when we have very sunny but cool days that can really heat up the interior compared to the outside.

4. NUMBERONECOPPER

NUMBERONECOPPER New Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius
    Model:
    III
    I GOT ONE OF THE ONES THAT ONLY RUNS FOR 3 MINUTES, WHAT A PITA.

5. Oskar

Oskar Member

Vehicle:
    2020 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Limited

I think you ay be confusing the remote AC with the solar sunroof "air exchange" that runs on solar power. The remote AC, as I understand it, runs off the hybrid battery for only 3 minutes, to literally cool down the inside of the car. The solar powered system runs until you open the door and start the car. You set the solar roof "air" by pushing a button to the left of the steering wheel just before you turn off the car. What it does is set the air temp inside the car to be equal to the outside. That way you're not baking in a 125+ degree vehicle. This is how I use it. If anyone feels this needs more clarification, plus feel free to add to this.

6. fotomoto

fotomoto Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Just one thing: After the car is powered off, it has a 10min (or thereabouts) timer interval before it activates.

7. NUMBERONECOPPER

NUMBERONECOPPER New Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius
    Model:
    III
    I'VE BEEN TO THE DEALER(S), AND THEY SAY SOME OF THE 13 n 14'S HAVE BEEN PROGRAMMED DIFFERENTLY. SOME WILL RUN INDEFINITELY OTHERS ONLY RUN 3 MIN. BOTH DEALERS INDICATE THE BUTTON OF WHICH YOU SPEAK HAS LITTLER OR NOTHING TO DO WITH THE OPERATION. JUST SEEMS FUNNY THEY ADVERTISE THIS FUNCTION, THEN IT DOESN'T WORK ON SOME OF THE MODELS.

8. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Oy, my ears. Typing all upper case is akin to shouting. ;)