1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Some questions from a hybrid noob

Discussion in 'Prius c Main Forum' started by madfast, Apr 10, 2012.

1. madfast

madfast New Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    III
    So if i "idle" with the car "ready", and i listen to the radio, is the 12V battery being continuously charged by the traction battery? how about if im not "ready" but in ACC mode? does this mean im running on the 12V battery only and the traction battery is not actively charging the 12V? basically i dont want to run down the 12V battery by listening to the radio while i wait in the car. sometimes i dont know how long i have to wait, so is it better for the health of the 12V battery to just keep it in park while "ready"?

second stupid question. at a stoplight, if i put the transmission in Neutral, what is actually happening? is there anything that i can wear out if i do this at every stoplight? as far as i can tell, the car creeps forward with the electric motor only, so if i put it in neutral, am i simply telling the transmission to not creep forward?

Thanks in advance!

2. fgp

fgp Active Member

Vehicle:
    2023 Prius
    Model:
    LE
    pretty cool questions, madfast. i will give my personal answer t0 the second question first. you gain zero, absolutely nothing by shifting into neutral. if the engine is running i dont believe it recharges the system. just leave it in drive and forget about it. the only time i use neutral is when im going through a carwash:welcome:

3. F8L

F8L Protecting Habitat & AG Lands

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    You answered your 1st question. The car must be in Ready Mode whelayingthe stereo to avoid draining the 12v battery. Think of ready mode as having the engine on in a traditional car. If the hybrid is not in ready mode then you will drain the 12v battery rather quickly.

Do not put the car in neutral while idling. You will receive no benefit from doing so and you will not beagle to keep the HV battery charged. The HV battery will eventually discharge and you could suffer additional problems. Neutral should not be used to aid in coasting either. Doing so does not shut down fuel injectors and you use more fuel than if you just lifted off the throttle or used advanced gliding techniques.

4. JimN

JimN Let the games begin!

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    These are good questions. As already mentioned, stay in gear & in ready to allow the car to take care of itself. Odd things will happen but you'll get accustomed to them. Open the driver's door & you'll hear the car getting ready for your drive. If it is too cold the ICE (gas engine) will spin up at a stop to heat things up, especially with the climate control on. Sit in the car too long after it is turned off & you'll hear the systems cycle.

It will depend on the state of charge of the traction battery & the temp. outside but you probably have 15 or 20 minutes before the battery will discharge enough to cause the ICE to recharge. It will run just long enough to get the charge up a bit then the process restarts. This is rather annoying when sitting in traffic or just creeping along.

5. madfast

madfast New Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    III
    So if you're in neutral, you can't charge the traction battery? Why? What is actually happening when you go into Neutral that causes this?

6. qbee42

qbee42 My other car is a boat

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    The Prius has fixed gears. Nothing shifts, and they never disconnect, so there isn't really a neutral. Neutral is accomplished by removing field excitation from the motor-generators. Without field, they offer little resistance to turning - neutral, in other words - but they also can't generate any electricity.

Tom

7. JimboPalmer

JimboPalmer Tsar of all the Rushers

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    To add to that since MG1 is the 'starter motor' and Neutral does not power either MG, you cannot start the engine in Neutral, if it is not already running. Since above about 41 to 45 MPH the engine has to run, it is very dangerous to the car to be in Neutral going downhill near 41 to 45 MPH.

8. adric22

adric22 Ev and Hybrid Enthusiast

Vehicle:
    2018 Chevy Volt
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    The first time you go through an automatic car wash during the summer where they require you to be in neutral, you'll discover the problem. If you are running the air conditioner, be prepared for the battery to drain and warnings to start popping up on the screen. I do not know what would happen if you don't do something. I usually would just turn off the A/C until out of the car wash. I'm curious what the car would do if the driver did nothing, left it in neutral with the A/C going?

9. fgp

fgp Active Member

Vehicle:
    2023 Prius
    Model:
    LE
    i go thru one all the time. no prob, but i do get back into gear immediately after. i dont turn off anything.

10. adric22

adric22 Ev and Hybrid Enthusiast

Vehicle:
    2018 Chevy Volt
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    I would imagine it depends on the type of car wash. If it is one of those little ones next to a gas station, they are pretty quick. The one I usually go to has a line of cars waiting to get in, and then once inside it takes about 5 minutes before you exit. So you are on the rollers for at least 5 minutes. Sometimes they stop the line for a minute or so for various reasons, which can make it last longer. In the heat of the summer running the A/C, it will drain the battery down. I usually just turn the vent on and let it blow outside air, since obviously you need to keep the windows rolled up. Since you are in the shade getting water sprayed on the car, that is usually enough.

11. fgp

fgp Active Member

Vehicle:
    2023 Prius
    Model:
    LE
    you are right. i go thru one that is like a regular one except you stay in the car. almost never have a wait. so have not had a prob.