1. Offline

bear4 Junior Member

Your Vehicle Year:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I believe I found an easy way to significantly improve prius soundproofing, which was a main concern for me at speeds over 70 mph - with stock tires the road noise was too much to tolerate, you actually have to raise your voice so your passengers can hear you. I was also trying to reduce the typical Atkinson engine droning noise from the rear compatment that can be heard at patial throttle

I purchased a set of Weather Tech floor mats and 3 sheets of dynapad soundproofing material from Dynamat. I placed one sheet of dynapad over the spare tire inside the rear compartment, and two remaining sheets were cut to exact fit and placed on the floor under the weathertech floor mats. I was very much pleasantly suprised with the results - the tire noise and engine drone were reduced significantly, we could actually talk at speeds of 80mph. The total cost of this mod was about $500.00 weathetech mats included in this price, and I did not have to take anything apart.

Attached Files:

bisco and fotomoto like this.
  2. Offline

fotomoto Senior Member

Your Vehicle Year:
    Other Electric Vehicle
    Great idea bear. You might one to get some spray on contact cement and apply the dynapads to the back of the floor mats.
  3. Offline

Levelheadsteve Junior Member

Your Vehicle Year:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Do you think it would work with regular floor mats? I can't handle the look of all-weather mats.
  4. Offline

Mike500 Interessen-Gemeinschaft Prius

Your Vehicle Year:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
  5. Offline

Scott1258 Junior Member

Your Vehicle Year:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Hey Bear,

Do you think the majority of the sound proofing is from the dynapads, or do the WT mats add to the effect too? Let us know as I too am wondering if just adding it to the regular mats would work well. Thanks!

Scott

6. Offline

bear4 Junior Member

Your Vehicle Year:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    The majority of the soundproofing is from the dynapad. The floor mats really don't provide any soundproofing, however, since weathertech mats fit so well, they completely hide the sheets of dynapad under them, so you cannot tell that dynapad is even there. The dynapad is almost 1/2'' think, it has four layers of composite foam and sound barrier material, and this setup works surprisingly well. I will post some more pictures later. The same will work with the factory mats, but they will not cover the dynapad sheets completely. Remember that the goal here is to cover as much floor and trunk area with dynapad as possible. I also placed smaller sheets of dynapad under the front seats making sure not to block the air vents.
  7. Offline

kknguyen1168 Member

Your Vehicle Year:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Bear

may I have some pics that Dynapad that cover the trunk please, I bought the material like Dynapad but it is call GTMAT, I thought that I have to do all area that underneath the spare tire, but heard what you said, I would like to see it, I also plan to do all 4 inner doors and under the back seat, I may buy the weathertech mats so I cover the front seat floor and backseat floor. Please advice

V/r

Khoi Nguyen
  8. Offline

GoldPianoGarden Bling Meister

Your Vehicle Year:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    I'm not at all crazy about the look and performance (holes, sloping sides to allow water to run off) of the Weather Tech floormats; however, I think my black Husky WeatherBeaters match the color scheme of my car perfectly, and keep anything from getting on the carpet, and they don't move --- so there's no need for those holes the others have that allow dirty water to run onto the carpet.
    Last edited by GoldPianoGarden, Aug 6, 2012
  9. Offline

jh87 Junior Member

Your Vehicle Year:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    anyone else did the same as the OP for soundproof? I kind of doubt this method will make too much of a difference. I had done a much more work for my another car few years ago, including dynamat the doors, the whole floor after lifting up the carpet,and sprayed the wheel well, only to have a minor effect. It will be great if it works like the OP stated.
  10. Offline

kknguyen1168 Member

Your Vehicle Year:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    jh87

exactly you said, minor effect, I did all 4 doors, back seat, trunk, 12 spray can underneath the car" I did remove 4 plastic panel before I spray it", sprayed all 4 wheel, the best I can say that i did improve about 25%, but I will know better next week when my brother come to see me, he had 2010 too but did not do anything, I will ask him if he feel any different, I am in Florida now, I drive his car last couple day, I can say that a lot noisy than my car, let see what he say when he come to see me and drive my car.

V/r

Khoi nguyen
  11. Offline

jh87 Junior Member

Your Vehicle Year:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    thanks for the input, please do update
  12. Offline

kknguyen1168 Member

Your Vehicle Year:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    JH87

I saw that you are in So Cal, may I ask how close to san diego, maybe we can meet to compare.