1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Specific problems to watch for when accepting delivery

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by jaeco, Apr 19, 2005.

1. jaeco

jaeco Junior Member

Will hopefully be accepting delivery of my 2005 Prius this afternoon. I've not bought a new car in quite sometime....am wondering if there is anything specific to watch for when accepting delivery? I mean I realize I need to check interior/exterior visually and etc, but like I said, just wondering if something tends to pop up that people miss at delivery.

2. efusco

efusco Moderator Emeritus
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    You're good to ask...would've been better for you if you'd asked a week ago, but its not too late to save yourself most of the grief and suprises.

Read the article HERE <--

There are links to other things to print out--check lists, etc. That you should also read and print out.

Be sure you don't get screwed on the extended warranty...you can get it through Danny here for much cheaper than the dealer will offer it to you and you support the site by buying here.

http://priuschat.com/forums/toyota-service...ted-vt3130.html

You probably already have financing taken car of, but if not be sure to call your bank(s) to check their current rates and to get pre-approved so you can use them if the dealership tries to offer you 22% financing or something.

Congrats and don't try too hard to wipe the grin off your face tonight...it's part of the fun! :D

3. reesdude

reesdude New Member

Make sure
    1. the oil isn't overfilled, if it is have it drained asap
    2. you have the plastic rim on your rims (similar to a hub cap, but a ring
    3. your front license plate is attached using a license plate housing and not just skrewed straight onto the bumper
    4. the outer edges of the doors aren't dinged
    5. Congratulations!
    6. Drive under 55 on the way home

4. DaveinOlyWA

DaveinOlyWA 3rd Time was Solariffic!!

Vehicle:
    2013 Nissan LEAF
    Model:
    Persona
    the license plate thing is an interesting observation. since most cars dont come with a plate mine was used to hold the dealer placard until the plates arrived. i figured every dealer would take advantage of that free advertising

5. jaeco

jaeco Junior Member

Thanks for all the input. Will be leaving shortly to pick up my car...I am excited! I've not bought a new car in .... get this.....20 years!!!!!!!! Now a hybrid...how will I ever figure it all out:>) Thanks for all the tips. I've printed out the info and feel better now about picking it up. First poster was correct....I should hae asked sooner but at least I had checked soon enough to not get ripped off with the warranty. They still tried to make me feel like I didn't know what I was doing so glad I had the info I did. Wish me luck!

6. richard schumacher

richard schumacher shortbus driver

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I used the checklist at http://www.vfaq.net/TOC_main.html . Short and sweet.

And take five minutes to READ the "Before you drive" section of the owner's manual before you leave the dealer!

7. jaeco

jaeco Junior Member

Well, didn't read the *before you drive* section....now I may never look at it so I won't know what I could have done to the car.........

That checklist is what I used as well and it was a big help.

8. Electric Barbarella

Electric Barbarella New Member

Had an issue with my LOJACK. I ordered the Early Warning option and only had the base model installed. It took an additional couple of hours waiting for the technician to reinstall.

The salesman drove me to a Chinese restaurant while I waited. I picked up the tab.

Again the car it was worth the wait.