1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Stage 10 Electronic Shifter available now

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Accessories and Modifications' started by Tracksyde, Jun 21, 2012.

1. AZGeek

AZGeek Semi-informed Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    I'd also like to see a pic with the console light hitting the carbon fiber at night. It looks pretty glossy so I am curious how much reflection will be picked up from the console light.

iPad

2. Tracksyde

Tracksyde Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Ok, I went out there and took some pictures. There isnt really any glare, at least nothing that I noticed, much less would be bothered by. In the pictures, however, it looks like there is. But I guess its just the reflection of the tiny LED in the overhead console. But not bright enough to actually produce glare.

I just dumped the pictures onto my hard drive, but I'm going to go back out in a bit after this post to shoot some video. That may be a better representation of the overhead LED shining on the shifter.

But for now, here are the pictures:

When I was taking pictures, the blue illumination gets washed out a bit (see the 2nd and 3rd pictures). So I underexposed this one a bit to bring out the actual blue-ness of the illumination.

[​IMG]

These two pictures are more representative of how it really looks in person:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

EDIT:

I just went out and shot some video (I'll post that in a bit) But when the overhead LED first lights up, the shifter is "off". So you can see the reflection of the overhead LED (although its not noticeable unless you're looking at the shifter itself). HOWEVER, once the shifter lights up, the reflection of the LED gets washed out/buried in the blue illumination from the Stage 10 logo. Anyways.. you'll be able to see for yourself in the video.

3. Dakine50

Dakine50 Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Tracksyde, outstanding job on the diy and also letting the community know the Stage 10 shifter is finally available! I know many have been waiting for a "US version."
    I went ahead and purchased the JDM version from OGS about a month ago. As others have mentioned, it's really no problem with the JDM shift pattern.

4. Tracksyde

Tracksyde Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Here's the video:

Something I forgot to get on video is when you actually press the buttons, the button will get brighter, then fades back down to the default intensity. That's kind of cool. I've gone in and out of the house like 3 times now.. maybe I'll get that on video tomorrow.

5. Tracksyde

Tracksyde Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Yeah, I came really close to ordering the OGS version a few times. The last time was when I saw a used on here or on eBay, I forgot. But while I was researching it/trying-to-justify-another-purchase, I saw that Stage 10 was going to sell the US version, so I decided to wait. But yeah, I'm sure the button layout isnt that big of a deal.

GoldPiano,

I personally like the blue because it is different. The shifter itself is so different from the stock shifter that it almost seems like a shame to not show it off a bit. The green would definitely blend much better.. and at night would pretty much look OEM. But then again, you dont seem like the type who wants the OEM look anyway :D.

The blue logo does look cool in the day time. Its not bright or anything, its just there (where as the stock shifter has no illumination at all, day or night). At night, the blue isnt bright enough to really be a distraction either. It also matches my blue LED eBay door sills.

I've never seen pictures of your interior day or night, but I'm guessing all your switches dont really match the factory green illumination anyway. I think you of all people would probably like the blue.

lensovet and GoldPianoGarden like this.
  6. GoldPianoGarden

GoldPianoGarden Bling Meister

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    When they had the glitch and my order went thru as a "test" payment, instead of a regular payment, Toshi emailed me to explain what had happened and asked me to purchase it again, so I reconsidered changing the color, since I was given the "free do-over". I shot an email to Toshi and asked his opinion, and he said he personally had the carbon fiber one with blue....so I figured your opinion, in addition to the company founder, was sufficient confirmation that the blue was the right choice for me. If nothing else, it'll match my strobing wheel lights and my color-changing underbody glow lights! :eek: I can't even remember what color my door sills will be (whenever I finally get them installed). They've been sitting in a closet for months now, so I've slept since then. I remember having the option to pick either blue or white for the LED color, but I don't remember which one I ended up going with. I was more interested in being able to custome the wording on them. I was trying to think of what reason I'd have to take my car to the dealership after I get this shifter installed. I just imagine it as being an awkward moment for the service/tech person when he/she gets inside and then realizes that there is no gear shift.

By the way, I appreciate your install post, cause it was more descriptive and helpful than the Stage 10 website's instructions. Those of us with absolutely no know-how in these types of things really appreciate the very detailed DIY posts in the forum. The more elementary, the better.

Tracksyde likes this.
  7. AZGeek

AZGeek Semi-informed Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    Thanks very much for posting the night shots. The glare for the console light isn't too bad.

Like you, I think the blue is a more interesting color, but I can see where the green better matches the factory instrument panel.

new iPad ?

8. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    gpg, if anyone can do it, you can!;)

GoldPianoGarden likes this.
  9. Steve Type-4

Steve Type-4 Trading HP for MPG

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Thanks for the video, it looks so sweet. Definitely putting the green version on my to-buy list :D. It sure makes the Prius a more space-age car than it already is lol. Now I need to decide TRD springs first or this first.

10. kmkremer

kmkremer Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    Installed mine today.

Attached Files:

• ESS2.JPG
      ESS2.JPG
      File size:
      828.8 KB
      Views:
    lensovet, Tracksyde and Steve Type-4 like this.
  11. Tracksyde

Tracksyde Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    You got the green illuminated one right? Did you get a chance to take some pics of it at night yet?

12. sfv41901

sfv41901 Masta S

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Nice.....1 more thing to add to the list

GoldPianoGarden likes this.
  13. morganaka

morganaka New Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Three

14. morganaka

morganaka New Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    This looks like a great addition. I would hate to screw up my new Prius, so could you elaborate on some parts of the install? Shift knob unscrews? Counter or counter clockwise? Also, is it a good idea to use a flat screwdriver to pop the cover or just keep pressure on it and lift with your fingers? Thanks for any help.

15. gliderman

gliderman Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Is this shipped from Japan or the USA? How long does it take to get a shifter? Thanks!

16. GoldPianoGarden

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    comes from US. Mine was shipped Friday or Saturday, and I'll get it tomorrow (Monday).

17. xliderider

xliderider Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    You can tell from the picture that the threading is standard, clockwise to tighten, counter clockwise to loosen. The plastics used in the Prius mars easily, therefore I would recommend avoiding prying with anything if it can be avoided.

18. GoldPianoGarden

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    That's definitely one of the things that I hate about my car. Everything is so easily scratched, it seems. Especially that silver trim on the dash/door/center console areas.

19. tarheelsfan873

tarheelsfan873 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Get some WOW Trim to cover that up GPG! There are 20 some different colors/styles! I recently order Red and Black Carbon Fiber for my Barcelona Red Prius. I am still waiting for it to arrive.

2010-2011

20. Tracksyde

Tracksyde Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Like others have said, I would probably stay away from trying to use a screwdriver. There's really no need. If you just use your fingers and lift from the left side, it will pop off.

The shift knob unscrewed as you would expect, lefty loosey, counterclockwise.

And as GoldPiano pointed out, it ships out of Irvine, CA (92618).