1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Star Trek Into Darkness discussion *SPOILERS*

Discussion in 'Fred's House of Pancakes' started by cwerdna, May 16, 2013.

1. cwerdna

cwerdna Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Discuss the movie here after you've seen it or if you want to be spoiled. I haven't seen it yet but will see it on Friday night.

**** WARNING **** There will probably be spoilers ahead!

2. PLSPUSH

PLSPUSH Active Member

will see it sunday, can't wait. will watch the 1st one again this weekend to get "caught up".

3. cwerdna

cwerdna Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Well, this is the spoilers thread. It was excellent!

There were plenty of TOS: Space Seed and Wrath of Khan references. If you rewatch those/refresh your memory on those, it might make this movie even more meaningful.

4. cwerdna

cwerdna Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    One thing that I really loved was the piano music in this movie.

I stumbled across
    and
    . Good stuff! Piano music tends to be unusual in Trek soundtracks, AFAIK.

When I 1st saw JJ-verse movie #1, I felt like I didn't really like the music and Michael Giacchino's work. Eventually, it grew on me.

5. The Electric Me

The Electric Me Go Speed Go!

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I just viewed it.

I'll second that I enjoyed the soundtrack. Infact, if you stay after the movie, and after the big final credits when the credits are actually rolling- they play a very haunting piece.

I thought the movie was good. At times very good. But I can't go so far as to say I thought it was great.

I actually think it's pretty challenging to do what is attempted with the latest Star Trek canons, that is create a movie with new actors that connects to the original characters even connects with characters and story lines that are familiar to long devoted fans. It's going to be hard to please everyone with everything.

I thought this movie did a pretty good job trying to balance all those traits.

SPOILER ***

There is a small part with Leonard Nimoy that I thought was practically unnecessary.

While I know I'm clearly dealing with Science Fiction and Fantasy and so I am always willing to suspend disbelief to a great extent, there were some scenes that I thought simply did not ring true enough even through the prism of fantasy and science fiction.

Most notably a scene where an attack on the Enterprise happens at warp speed. Scenes of hull section being ripped away and crew members being sucked out into space while the Enterprise was conceivably traveling at or near warp speed, were presented similarly to disaster scenes in other movies where airplanes are suddenly ripped open and people are sucked out of the plane. That is their bodies are visible, with hands and legs waving. I find it hard to believe that people suddenly sucked out into the vacuum of space, and sucked out from a starship at warp speed would survive even for a split second in this manner.

Bigger Spoiler Alert**** Also the scene in which Scotty is confronted and distracted by a what is revealed to be a relatively innocent man, simply working security on the "other" ship, IMO just doesn't work. Outside of simply creating momentary drama by creating a dynamic where the question becomes will he get the door open in time or will be not? It reduces Scotty from a character used in a relatively lightly an almost a comedic light, to a character that is forced to kill an innocent man, to try to make sure Kirk and fellow traveler can get oboard.

But overall I found the movie entertaining and good.

I would honestly want to see them make another Star Trek movie, using these actors and characters as presented ASAP. As the familiarity with these "versions" of the familiar Star Trek original have been established, less and less time can be spenty "planting" the familiarity with this "New" Spock, Kirk, Uhuru..on and on....

Anyway for me, it was good, for summer movie fair I'd grade it a B.

6. cwerdna

cwerdna Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    I did stay for part of the scrolling credits. I do recall hearing the piano music and I think it was what I posted, at least partly (London Calling). They may have also included

Heh. This the spoiler thread. I think all spoilers are fair game in this thread. No need to really warn people. Yeah... it was kinda funny to have Nimoy do a cameo and make the bridge crew aware of the other Spock.

I liked how Spock really acted out his emotions in this one, like when he was trying to beat the crap of Khan. The role reversals at the end were really cool IMHO. My friend who I saw it and isn't a Star Trek fan was either unfamiliar w/the plot of Star Trek II or totally forgotten about it. I totally got the references about the radiation and "you'll flood the whole compartment" and KHAAAN!!!!!. On that note, there's KHAAAAN. :)

The movie was predictable in the sense that I didn't expect Khan to win. I was thinking "no way they're going to kill Kirk" w/movie #2 unless they pull some trick, but I wasn't 100% sure.

I totally didn't expect Khan to be in this movie. There were all sorts of rumors of there being a Khan and Paramount strategically released misdirection (sorta) to never confirm Khan and to say the villain's John Harrison.

7. cwerdna

cwerdna Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    I stumbled across

I've watched some scenes of feature film being filmed before (the movie Higher Learning) when I was in college. It always amazes me the amount of work, setup and takes involved along w/how much better things seem to look on the movie screen.

You can see JJ shining a flashlight into/around the camera around the 6 min mark, probably to create lens flares. They did that a bunch in JJ-verse #1. Was mentioned in one of the documentaries/featurettes I saw.

8. The Electric Me

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    The funny thing is most of the people I know, and my friends really like the job Zachary Quinto does as the "new" Spock.

And he does do an excellent job.

But I'm actually more impressed with the re-imagining of the Kirk character as done by Chris Pine. I think that makes me a bit of a rarity. In my opinion, it's easier to redo Spock in this day and age. First of all, it's easier just to flat out look like Spock, the tall lanky body type and the black haired bowl cut make looking like Spock much easier. Also I think Spocks character, being shrouded in unemotional Vulcanism often makes "acting" Spocks part easier.

In my opinion Kirks character pose's a much bigger challenge. The character as played to iconic status by William Shatner simply does not work today as it did in the 60's. While I think you CAN take the Spock character very much as it appeared in the original series, and subsequent movies and move it into a 2013 rendition, I think moving Kirk into a modern retelling is far more difficult. The beloved but often admittedly over the top acting of William Shatner that appeared in many episodes of the television series, simply would not translate onto a big screen rendition today.

So I REALLY like what Chris Pine, and the writers involved so far have done with the James T. Kirk character. It's NOT someone trying to play Shatner, playing Kirk. It is a much more indepth Kirk character. He's still presented with enough "Kirk" like character traits that he is acceptable as a re-imagining of the character, but there are enough sophisticated nuances added to the character that I think it moves the character viably into a modern 2013 retelling.

So anyway, it's not that I don't think Zachary Quinto isn't doing a good job, but I think publically he seems to get all the kudos and attention. I think this is mostly because he plays and looks the character much closer to the remembered original.

So while I don't think anyone is going to look at Chris Pine as Kirk, and blink twice and go "Is that a young William Shatner playing Kirk?" I do think a little more credit should be given to Pine and the new Kirk character.

PS.

To any Star Trek purists I don't mean the preceding commentary in any way to be a knock on William Shatner or the original Kirk. There are reasons characters become beloved and iconic and Shatner and the original creative team involved made that happen over the course of years and decades.

Chris Pine would have to do this for several more movies and perhaps hair graying decades before he could even lay a simple claim to having created anything near what has been created by Roddenberry, Shatner and the original writers of many episodes of Star Trek.

9. cwerdna

cwerdna Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    ^^^
    I agree. Chris Pine does a really good job of playing Kirk. And, it is a good re-imagining of his character w/womanizing and brashness. For those who didn't know, Chris Pine is the son of Robert Pine - IMDb. I always knew of him for being Sergeant Getraer on CHiPs. I got curious when I 1st learned of the 1st JJ-verse movie and found that out.

Back to JJ-verse Kirk, yeah, they threw in a lot of nice references to the "main" timeline, many of which were in JJ-verse movie #1 like the Kobayashi Maru test cheating, him eating an apple during the test just like he was eating apples in Star Trek II (in an unrelated scene), etc.

10. 2k1Toaster

2k1Toaster Brand New Prius Batteries

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Agreed totally. Kirk is played very well. Different enough to not be a Shatner wannabe, but close enough to continue the story and fantasy of it all.

Hikaru Sulu as played by Harold, err John Cho, did a great job with his 15 seconds of fame in the captain's chair. But I doubt he will be remembered as much as Takei.

11. cwerdna

cwerdna Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
  12. PLSPUSH

PLSPUSH Active Member

13. cwerdna

cwerdna Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
  14. The Electric Me

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A

It is funny to me, what people bother to be offended by....

For obvious reasons...I have no problem with Alice Eve in her Bra and Panties. And even though it can be argued that the scene was gratuitous, I would argue it does lend itself to establishing character. The Kirk character and I would also say the original series, does have a history of interaction with beautiful women. This is part of Kirks character.

I know taken as a whole? I enjoyed episodes of the original Star Trek when I was 8-10 years old, for "different" reasons than when I entered adolescence. Many of the costumes and wardrobe that was used in the original series was very revealing. Come on? In the original series, we are basically dealing with an entire Star Ship of women wearing mini-skirts.

Yes times have changed. BUT IMO sexy and beautiful women ARE part of the Star Trek cannon. I definitely, certainly am not going to complain about that scene.

15. bwilson4web

bwilson4web BMW i3 and Model 3

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Plus

I stayed as long as I could but eventually, the 'flicker' got to me. Sad to say but my eyes see the 'flicker' on the screen, especially on the edges but sometimes in an action scene when things are passing from one edge to the other. Yet I can see the same film on TV and no problem.

I had problems with the plot and characters although I thought young Spock asking a question of old Spock . . . that really wasn't needed. As for bringing in young Kahn . . . well Ok but he wasn't high up on my list.

I don't regret the ticket as much as not interested in a second viewing . . . my eyes and the flicker.

Bob Wilson

16. JMD

JMD 2012 Prius 4 Solar Roof

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Good movie. I recall the original Kahn versus Kirk (William Shatner) on TV and the second show a movie and now this one. It had it's good moments. Kahn was more the lady's man in the first original TV Show.

The current Kirk is very good but Shatner he set the bar. Both had to be very clever to defeat Kahn.

Khan Noonien Singh - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

image.jpg image.jpg

image.jpg

17. cwerdna

cwerdna Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    That really was too bad re: the flicker. :( It was a great movie! The role reversal near the end was great as was Spock beating the crap out of Khan.

Hopefully you can catch it again at a theater w/less flicker or via some other means later (e.g. DVD, Blu-ray, streaming).

18. massparanoia

massparanoia Active Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    JMD likes this.