1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Steering wheel clunking noise

Discussion in 'Prius v Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by ImeanGreen, Jun 25, 2014.

1. ImeanGreen

ImeanGreen Prius v Five BP Brigade #236

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Hello people. It's been a while since I got back to this forum. Just want to give you some heads up regarding my steering wheel clunking noise. I have my V for a year now and at 15K, the steering clunking noise started to appear that was intermittent in nature and I could not easily replicate the problem. 4 months ago with 20K miles on it, the clunking noise/steering feel just got worse and could be replicated right away. Brought it to the dealership and they were able to solve the problem. The problem was the intermediate shaft. Replacing it totally eliminated the problem. This seems to be a problem with other car manufacturer's too if you Google " intermediate shaft problem ". Hope this helps you guys who have the same problem. Cheers.

2. Uberfast

Uberfast Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
    Was it's under warranty. Did the dealer pay for this. Was it under a recall also. Thank you so much for your response

3. mikefocke

mikefocke Prius v Three 2012, Avalon 2011

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    Limited
    Intermediate shaft is also an internal to an engine part on many makes and I'd wager 98% of the online references are related to that part. The purpose of the intermediate shaft is to drive the camshafts indirectly off the crankshaft. By using an intermediate shaft, the speed of the chains are reduced, which is better for chain life.

4. qaz111111

qaz111111 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    wrong intermediate shaft. This is the joint in the steering column shaft.

Air_Boss likes this.