1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Steering Wheel Problem? 2014 Prius

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Care, Maintenance & Troubleshooting' started by slamattina, Aug 13, 2014.

1. slamattina

slamattina New Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Hi All,

Today, I just picked up my 2014 prius. I had a question about it and was wondering if it is normal or if anybody else is experiencing the same thing. Basically, when I do a right/left turn on the car, when accelerating out of the turn, the steering wheel does not fully return to the centre position (its approximately in the one/eleven o'clock position). Also, if I leave the wheel straight, and drive straight, the car will drive straight and not pull towards the side so I don't think its an alignment issue. Did anyone have this when they picked up their prius. I'm not sure if this is normal, or if its happening just because they car is new or just because I'm not accelerating hard enough out of the turn (I always stayed in the eco range with the HSI. ) Any insight would be deeply appreciated. Other than this, I'm very happy with the car thus far.

Thank you

2. Former Member 68813

Former Member 68813 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I don't understand. Are you saying your new Prius is not behaving in quick turns like your Porsche?

xliderider and DoubleDAZ like this.
  3. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    welcome to priuschat! congrats on your new wheels, all the best!(y)

4. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    so, when it's in the one o'clock position, does it drive straight, or do you have to physically return it to 12:00?

5. canta

canta Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I am assuming that the steering wheel is not center at 12" clock. it tilts a bit to 1" clock
    But, your prius does not pulling to the left o the right whiled driving.

if that so, and based on my experience:
    your steering wheel needs adjustment.
    ask (your) dealer to check and verify the issue. they should fix it.

I had experience with my new Hyundai car.
    the steering wheel not 12" clock after realizing within 3 weeks.
    the dealer fixed it, but close not to 12" clock center. :|. I just accepted and got used to :D.

6. kbeck

kbeck Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    For what it's worth, it's not unusual for a new Prius to need a four wheel alignment. Mine wandered about a bit when new until I had that done.

Second: any car, with the wheel at 12 o'clock, should drive straight, period. If putting the wheels straight turns the car, then the tie rod ends, at a minimum, are misadjusted. (There's two tie rods. One end of a tie rod is attached to the rack of a rack-and-pinion steering system; the other end is attached to the steering knuckle that turns the front wheel. If a car is in alignment (caster, camber, and toe-in correct), then by turning the tie rod (it's a shaft with threads and a locking nut; loosen the nut and the whole shaft rotates) on one side clockwise and the other tie rod counterclockwise the alignment stays the same while the steering wheel rotates. However, one has to start this process with a car that is known to be otherwise in alignment. And knowing that requires a wheel alignment system of some kind. Easy adjustment, costly equipment. :)

People around here have found that an early complaint about a new car that doesn't steer right will get you one (1) freebie wheel alignment from the dealership that gets paid for by Toyota; hence, the dealership won't feel any pain. All you have to worry about is the usual monkey business where a firm might claim to have done an alignment.. But left it out in the parking lot instead.

Finally: Make sure your tire pressures are correct. Priuses aren't Jags and the LRR tires they come with, especially when new and haven't broken in, or are under or over inflated, can make the car a little dicey in the straight-ahead department.

KBeck.