1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Sticky front seat?

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by Ted Michon, Jan 26, 2014.

1. Ted Michon

Ted Michon New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    The driver's seat in my 2005 (130K miles) no longer slides smoothly. Seemed to happen almost all at once as though something had gotten caught in the slides, but when I took the seat out (snap off 2 plastic back covers, unplug 3 seat sensor cables, and remove 4 14 mm bolts) I could find nothing obviously wrong. The mechanism works so roughly that in the full back or full forward position I have to hit one slide with a hammer to get it unstuck. I note similar roughness in the passenger seat, but it's never gotten stuck. My wife's 2009 (85 K miles) certainly feels less smooth than when it was new. My guess is that the small 1 inch piece (1 of 2) that sits between the upper and lower track and slides back and forth almost certainly contains bearings that have lost their roundness. I have no idea how to get the race and bearings out to examine them, let alone replace them.

Anyone know anything about this? A Google search on "Prius front seat stuck" turns up nothing. Considering our second Prius seems headed for the same problem, I cannot believe this is unique!

Help!

-Ted