1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Storage maintenance

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Care, Maintenance & Troubleshooting' started by zebekias, Sep 4, 2014.

1. zebekias

zebekias Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I'll store my gen3 for the winter, I don't know if I'll able to put a trickle charger on the 12v battery. If not, what is the procedure for making sure neither the 12v nor the HV battery loose their charge after sitting for 6-8 months? (I can have a relative start the car, but I don't want them driving it :=)

Thanks

2. mrbigh

mrbigh Prius Absolutum Dominium

Vehicle:
    Other Electric Vehicle
    That is a very good idea, both....

3. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    yes, if they can start it once a month and let it run tip the ice shuts down, that should be fine. even once every two months. the 12 volt might die in the meantime which would be a pain for you and your relative. if you can't trickle charge, it would be better to disconnect the negative in between starts if possible.

dorunron likes this.
  4. dorunron

dorunron Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    What bisco said, if you can't run a battery maintainer on the 12 volt disconnect the negative cable on the 12 volt battery at the place where the cable attaches to the car body. The 12 volt should hold a charge then. It would be a good idea to obtain and or use a good AGM type "Smart Charger" to fully charge the 12 volt before you disconnect it and then charge again before you reconnect. The "Traction Battery" should be Ok on it's own.

Best of luck to you.

Ron (dorunron)

5. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    A few non-battery ideas:

1. Inflate tires to max pressure indicated on the sidewall. Tires sitting for a long time tend to get flat spots. Alternately you can raise the car and put it on safety stands, high enough so the tires are just touching down, or clear. But that's likely not practical.

2. Leave a window slightly open, for air circulation.

3. Put rags under the wiper arms, to hold them blades off the glass.

4. Fill the gas tank. You might also want to put stabilizer in, maybe not warranted for this time stretch though.

dorunron likes this.
  6. dorunron

dorunron Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Well said Mendel, and excellent points that have not been raised before now. All of the above is SOP when storing just about any car. The Prius just needs a little more attention than the average four wheeler.

Ron