1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Studded Tire Choices

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by bklocke, Sep 18, 2013.

1. bklocke

bklocke Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I live in the mountains in Vermont and have a very steep road to get to my house so I am going to get studded winter tires. Tire Rack has a sale.
    1. What does OE Tire is 86 load, which as 1lb more than the gross axle weight rating on the car mean and how much of a concern is it?
    2. Is the Road Hazard worth it or a waste of money?
    3. Does tire rack include TPMS?
    4. How much should I expect for a local garage to charge for balancing and mounting?
    5. The last person that looked at my summer tires said he thought they were wearing unevenly and I should get my front end aligned. How much would that cost and wouldn't I be able to tell from driving it that it needed it?
    Screen shot 2013-09-18 at 10.19.14 PM.JPG

2. bklocke

bklocke Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Can any one help me out here? Or suggest who can?

THANKS!

3. Patrick Wong

Patrick Wong DIY Enthusiast

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    1. Don't worry about that footnote. The original equipment tire size is for a tire with 86 load rating. As long as your replacement tires have that load rating or higher, you are good.
    2. Depends upon whether you plan to hit something in the road which damages your tires, or not. I suggest you consider your personal driving experience to assess how likely that is.
    3. No
    4. Probably $15 or $20 per tire, but if you care, why not call around and find out for yourself?
    5. I suggest that you look at the tires yourself to see whether the tread is wearing unevenly. For each tire, measure the tread depth at the center of the tread as well as the shoulders. If you see that the shoulders are wearing faster than the center, this means the tires are underinflated. If you see that one shoulder is wearing faster than the other, then the car would benefit from wheel alignment. This might cost $50 or so.

4. bklocke

bklocke Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A

5. bklocke

bklocke Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Thank you that is very helpful and informative.