1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Suggestion on what to do w my new purchase- minor damage, paint loss to new car

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Care, Maintenance & Troubleshooting' started by kaiotes, Nov 6, 2013.

1. kaiotes

kaiotes Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    I purchased a new plugin evening of 10/31. Negotiations went down to the wire via email/phone. I did not get to the dealer til almost 9PM.

I did a rough check of the car before I drove it away from the dealer, didn't think there'd be any major issues as it had 2mi on the odometer.

The problem is after I drove my car back I noticed a nick about an inch on the rear bumper of the vehicle. I found this when I opened the back to make sure my plugin adapter/wires were in the trunk.

I called up my sales guy immediately (the next evening) and he said he was leaving (it was almost nine when i called) and we could solve things the next day.

I decided to drive it back to the dealer that night (35mi away). I met with a sales guy who was still there and he took care of me. Wrote up the papers etc.

My car is currently being 'fixed' by the their authorized body shop.

One other thing I noticed the night I purchased the car was that the noise when I roll up and down the driver and passenger windows were louder than normal. Maybe it was because the windows were wet as they just detailed it. The dealer would look at it once they get it from the body shop.

I will admit I am partially at fault for not do a thorough check of the car but their mechanics or whoever has to do a thorough check before delivering the car. There's a check list for them to mark off and sign.

Attached are images of the 'damage"

I know it's just a small nick but I just paid 30k for a new car and it shouldn't have any of these things if they had checked it. It is possible that the damage was caused afterwards i dont know i surely didnt cause it.

Should I ask them for 'freebies'/compensation, what's reasonable. what can i expect if anything

At this point i'm not 100% happy w this. I have to drive back and forth to get my car, bug friends to give me rides. I probably wont get it til Friday... Mileage, time wasted, loss of use etc.

Attached Files:

2. Grren4ever

Grren4ever Active Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Yikes...I picked up my Prius on Sept 30th. I checked it out the day before while it was sitting in the lot but it was super pouring rain! (the biggest downpour the entire year - it's like god didn't want me to see any problems with the car!!) The raindrops hid any imperfections but the next day I picked it up, things were fine - no scratches but there was an ink mark on the drivers seat.

Lesson learned, the car is probably the 2nd biggest purchase you'll ever do in your life so do your homework before the purchase.

That knick on your bumper is pretty deep - they agreed to fix it so i'm sure it will be perfect after it's back from the shop. Just bad luck; knowing how slimy salesmen are, I doubt they'll give you any compensation for this since you could not prove it was done before the car was picked up. Wouldn't hurt to ask though!

I got the salesman to throw in a rear sway bar in my transaction because he promised me a white prius but ended up telling me all the whites were gone and there was only one silver left.

3. kaiotes

kaiotes Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Then had a few more exchanges w my sales guy, he responds

"If I had to put my money on it I would say it happend after the delivary because out of hundreds of cars we sell here I have never heard of this problem. From the time I have been here I have sold lot of new cars and there is NEVER any issue like this one. But we dont know what happend so its better to just get it fixed. "

4. Grren4ever

Grren4ever Active Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    I think that salesman is bullshitting. I used to work as a lot boy at a Lexus dealership. We'd get new cars here and there with knicks and dings!

good luck.

5. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    i think they are doing the right thing by fixing it. it's not their fault you didn't take the time to inspect it. they could have said sorry, you own it. i have had to have a few new cars repaired before accepting them, no biggie. all the best!(y)

6. orenji

orenji Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Just be happy that they have stepped up and agreed to fix it, can you truly say that it was not caused by debris on the way home? There is so much crap on the road these days! Anyways look at this as a positive, as something will always happen to a new car, so now you can drive on knowing that the first scratch has happen and you are good for many miles. Enjoy your new car. :)