1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Summer Heat vs. Prius Battery?

Discussion in 'Newbie Forum' started by BDCSam, May 6, 2014.

1. BDCSam

BDCSam New Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    Sorry if this is a repeat question, searched a few times to check and didn't see anything exact.

How dose the battery in a Prius do in the desert heat of summer? Shorter life span? Does anyone have any experience to share. I will have to park it outside.

2. 70AARCUDA

70AARCUDA Active Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Is Helendale, California, any hotter than either Phoenix or Tucson, AZ?

FWIW, there are LOT's of Prii running around in both cities...and one certain 2014 Prius is mine, albeit newly purchased. Sorta like the difference between electron-velocity and hole-velocity in semiconductors, rumors seem to travel much faster than facts. Heat is not kind to the batteries but (seemingly) cold is even harder.

3. JimboPalmer

JimboPalmer Tsar of all the Rushers

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    Run the A/C, the battery is inside with you, so keeping you cool keeps it cool. Sun Shades all around and Window tint at the back of the car can help, heat you reflect is not inside with your battery. Especially if you carry pets, keep the battery fan cleaned.

California 2013 Tint Laws

4. BDCSam

BDCSam New Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    thanks for the quick reply. We are not as hot as Phoenix or Tucson, but close. So there were no warnings about keeping it out of the heat or anything like that? You don't do anything different with yours because of it?

5. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    it's a good idea to park in the shade when you can, use a windshield sunshade, tint the windows and run the a/c whenever it's warm out. heat is definitely a factor in battery life. it's not a deal killer, but there may be more battery prelims in warm area's than others. i don't know if there's any collected data though.

6. BDCSam

BDCSam New Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    great suggestions Jimbo. Thanks. I guess I won't worry about the heat. I had "heard" this was an issue.

7. PhilWray

PhilWray Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I'm in Malaysia. Temperatures usually around 27 to 35 centigrade (80-95 F). Had no problems. A/C set to auto 24 degrees (75 F).

Regards,

Phil

BDCSam likes this.
  8. BDCSam

BDCSam New Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    i have purchased white or light color vehicles for its heat reflection properties in the past, so I will likely go this way with a Prius too. Window tint is a MUST here.

9. 70AARCUDA

70AARCUDA Active Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Silver exterior color, light gray interior color, dark window tinting, and daily use of windshield solar screen...also, I try to keep the A/C-temperature setting at 78ºF (although wife likes it lower).

10. wjtracy

wjtracy Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I see you have a Plug_in (Li battery) so I am not sure in that case.
    For Gen2 and Gen3 (NiMH battery) we normally suggest its better to not park in the heat when fully charged (all green bars). Normally, this would not happen but some people might have a big downhill before stopping. In that case they might want to get down a couple bars before parking (just use air cond a minute). However, I have not heard a similar recommendation for PiP.