1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

System Failure - dealership unable to find

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by Lightsinger, Apr 28, 2010.

1. Lightsinger

Lightsinger New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    My 2005 Prius has suddenly developed a huge problem. It has become a gamble whether or not the thing will boot up. The first time we noticed it was when the car wouldn't lock. When my husband and I got into it and hit the power button, nothing happened. After four or five attempts, it finally came back on, but the radio had lost all information, and the clock had reset.

Got it running, started driving it around, then it stopped working again later that day, and again the next morning. Called AAA and got it jumped and took it to the dealer, who couldn't find a thing wrong with it. Again today, 25 miles from home, the car failed once again. Called AAA for a jump again. No one seems to be able to find the problem. Has anyone else had this problem? If so, what was the outcome?

Lightsinger aka Desperate in Arizona

2. efusco

efusco Moderator Emeritus
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Dead 12v battery...replace it.

3. Lightsinger

Lightsinger New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    The dealership said the battery is fine. They ran diagnostics on everything -- supposedly -- and eliminated the battery as the problem. They keep suggesting that we "left a light on" or left a phone charger plugged in and that was the problem. But we've had a phone charger plugged into the thing for 4 1/2 years, and we've never had a problem before. It happened again today, and the dealer service again went into the "left a light on" song and dance, and I'm thinking "Do they really think we're THAT stupid? We just had this problem yesterday...do they really think we'd keep leaving a light on???"

I thought of the battery first. There was a really rank odor coming off the car the first night we had the problem...almost a rotten egg small. The tow driver said it smelled like battery problems to him, but the dealership refuses to agree. The battery is the original, which is good for Arizona, where batteries only tend to last 2-3 years tops. The car rarely parked in the sun, always in a garage during the day. But it IS a 4 year old battery.

The car was in a wreck 1 1/2 years ago, and I'm wondering if some connection is faulty. But they can't seem to find it. I'm getting to the end of my rope. I can't even sell the thing, because I still owe on it!

Lightsinger

4. RobH

RobH Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    I'm with efusco on this. The battery is old enough to cause these problems, a dead battery causes these problems, and you're having these problems. More than likely a replacement battery would fix it.

The battery is 5 years old. That's about the normal lifetime of the battery. Even if some testing gadget says it's ok, every other indication is that it is past its time. Before pulling the whole car apart looking for a bad connection, start with a known good (new) battery.

5. JimN

JimN Let the games begin!

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    I'm calling BS on the dealer unless they showed you 3 voltage readings that are within spec. Put the car into maintenance mode & check the voltages yourself. If the original 12v battery was replaced within the last yesr you have a warranty claim. If it is the original battery or the "new" battery is more than a year old you are buying a new 12v.

If you go back to that dealership insist that whoever is installing the new battery (Moe, Larry, or Curly) demonstrate that it is fully charged before installed.

IMO, yes, the dealer believes you are that stupid. I also believe they are that stupid.

6. okiebutnotfrommuskogee

okiebutnotfrommuskogee Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I'm with efusco. RobH and JimN on this. I would replace the 12 volt battery, and while you are at it check the connection of the negative cable to the body for looseness or corrosion.

7. qbee42

qbee42 My other car is a boat

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    It's almost certainly a bad 12V battery.

Tom

8. firepa63

firepa63 Former Prius Owner

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    +1 on replacing the 12v battery.

9. dogfriend

dogfriend Human - Animal Hybrid

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    I also want to say its the 12V battery, but my contrarian mood this morning will not allow it. I think its stray gamma rays. :madgrin:

10. Politburo

Politburo Active Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    At this point, I'd play along with them... Ask the dealership what the effect on the 12V battery might be if you left a light on multiple times.

If they're at all competent they'll reply that it could weaken or kill the battery. By that point they would hopefully connect the dots on their own, and you might get to see one of the most awesome sights in nature. Seeing the look of realization as they come to understand they've been pwned...

11. Lightsinger

Lightsinger New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    UPDATE:

Of course, my very first thought was that it was the battery. I still think so. In Arizona, typically a battery only lasts 2-3 years, and this is the original battery, so I got more than my money's worth out of it and have been prepared to replace the battery from the start, but the dealership -- on whom I do intend to call "shenanigans" -- kept insisting that the battery is good. Yesterday, system failure once again, AAA jumped the car, we drove it to the dealership, and after driving it for 25 miles, the car failed again -- right there in the service lane. You should have seen their expressions as they attempted again and again to get it started. It was well worth it, just to see them eat their words. Now, let's see if they will finally replace that battery!

Thanks all for confirming what I've thought all along. My next thought was that the battery isn't getting charged when it's being driven. The hubby's car did this a few years ago -- a Cavalier that he drove the wheels off -- and it was not the battery, but the alternator.

Lightsinger

2:30 p.m. AZ Time:

Dealership is replacing the battery, but tell me there is some sort of power drain that they can't identify. They've tested everything, there's nothing plugged in and there's no reason why the battery should be discharging power. Anyone have any ideas?

12. qbee42

qbee42 My other car is a boat

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Disconnecting the 12V power will reset all of the ECUs. Sometimes this will put a misbehaving ECU back on an even keel.

Tom

13. JimN

JimN Let the games begin!

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    Now that you have a new battery what are the voltage readings from Maintenance Mode? If you hook up a trickle charger does it show the battery fully charged just about immediately?

Bless their hearts. They aren't giving up on trying to get you to pay for diagnostic time.

The 1st time I had the 12v replaced on the 2006 their attitude changed when I rattled off the voltage readings that led me to wanting the battery swapped out. Mr. Prius Tech was also impressed when he saw the ScanGauge. I believe it cut down on the BS.

The only satisfaction I had the 2nd time was when the car died in front of the Service Writer.

14. Patrick Wong

Patrick Wong DIY Enthusiast

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    If there is an unusual power drain then there must be a stuck relay somewhere. Hopefully your dealer tech will be able to figure that out.

15. RobH

RobH Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    A bad battery could self discharge. The test will be if replacing it cures the problem...

16. richard schumacher

richard schumacher shortbus driver

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
  17. Lightsinger

Lightsinger New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    The dealership still has the car. They wanted to keep it overnight so they could test drive it and see if the battery was still being drained of power. I'm hoping against hope that it's just the dang battery and that they won't wind up charging me a fortune. The only consolation I have is that they have suggested they might comp the rental car. Small consolation that it is, it suggests that they expect this to be expensive. I'm going back to my old dealership. These guys think I'm made of money!

Lightsinger

18. Lightsinger

Lightsinger New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A

Well now, THAT post heading got my attention! I've seen a steady decline in my MPGS over the last few months, from my usual 50+ MPG to under 45 MPG. I've been blaming my husband, poor guy, for failing to "pulse pedal" the thing. I used to be able to baby that milage to get that 52 MPG or so, and he's never learned to finesse the pedal to do that, and drives our hybrid like a regular car. Now maybe I owe him an apology?

Lightsinger

19. richard schumacher

richard schumacher shortbus driver

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    If the battery tests as bad, then perhaps yes. Unfortunately I don't know the details of the built-in procedure for a 2010. If you have a voltmeter you can check the battery at the jump point under the hood, first with the car OFF for a few hours (12.2 to 12.8V), then in ACC with the headlights on (not less than 11.5V) , and finally IG-ON or completely ON ("Ready") (about 13.6V).

20. Lightsinger

Lightsinger New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    My Prius is a 2005. Unfortunately, I don't own a voltmeter, so there was no way to check, but I thought the battery issue was fairly obvious, even to non-technical me. There was no power whatsoever, none, nada, zilch. The dealership kept saying that the battery didn't test as bad, only without charge.

Lightsinger