1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

techstream inconsistencies

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Technical Discussion' started by whburling, Apr 29, 2016.

1. whburling

whburling Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I have a prius 2006 and am using techstream 8.10.021 in conjunction with a Mini VCI on a laptop running windows 10

I have not been able to use Techstream in a reliable manner. It may be the Techstream version....or my USB connection or the driver, or the CAN controller in the Mini-VCI cable.

Here are my experiences.
    * when accessing the list of ECUs that are available in the PRIUS, it is hit or miss whether the display indicates they are or not available (asteric). If i reset TEchstream (start and stop the application) I get inconsistent results.
    * I will be involved in running a task and suddenly the Techstream software indicates it has lost connection with the ECU.
    * Someetimes I get a message indicating i need to press F12 to report problem to ?????

Have other people experienced the above or other disruptions while using Techstream?
    Anyone know what is happening?

The CAN bus over which OBDii operates is incredibly rock solid. Thus the issue is NOT the car, I can assure you. It could be the CAN controller chip within the MiniVCI cable but I find that a bit difficult to believe as it is made by NXP which is the 5th largest non-memory semicondutor mfr in the world and they dominate the chip market making CAN controllers. The USB transceiver chip in my MiniVCI cable IS a clone and not the chip made by FTDI, even though the label on teh chip portends to be a FTDI chip. It might be at fault...though I have no clue.

If I knew what the driver that people talk about was for, then I could think better. But I have no idea what that driver is for. I do know that Techstream uses the microsoft USB drivers for all Windows systems with a USB interface. Perhaps the drivers are used to define the USB options in the cloned fFTDI chip....or maybe the drivers are for the NXP CAN controller in the MiniVCI cable. If I knew what the driver was for then I could look for possible instability.

It is very hard for anyone doing diagnosing or repair work when the tool is unreliable. I need to find a way to make my setup more reliable. I would appreciate Anyone who has a solid system working offer any advice.

Thank you
    bil

2. S Keith

S Keith Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2003 Prius
    Techstream 10.something
    Windows 7-32bit
    Cheap Amazon acquired MiniVCI

I experience nothing like what you describe.

I have occasional communication failures, particularly when the initial connection is established. The vast majority of the time, a "Retry" on the dialogue fixes the problem, and it doesn't repeat until I make another "initial" attempt to contact the ECU or change the data list for capture.

I regard it as highly reliable as the # of failures associated with a Health check or during data capture are few and far between.

Given the cost of the cable, $24 or so, and it's IMMENSE value, I would be inclined to purchase another and test.

3. wjtracy

wjtracy Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    If you look at some of the reviews on Amazon, some users are finding poor quality bad solder joints on the cables, sometimes these can be fixed if you have a little experience with a soldering iron. We have another user here who had problems. I tried to get mine from EBay guy promising good quality. I ended up using the XP drivers so not sure about the Win7/8/10 version, but mine came with both options.

4. whburling

whburling Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I am fairly certain the problem is not solder joints. Most of the boards in the MiniVCI are wave soldered. The design of the MiniVCI is excellent. The only doubt that I have is due to the fake (clone) FTDI chip that is used in the MiniVCI cable. The financial loss to FTDI was so great that years ago FTDI issued windows drivers that set a bit that caused most fake FTDI chips to no longer work. You could easily fix the issue if you used a tool from FTDI to change the state of that bit. Today...however, FTDI
    does not do that anymore. They, in fact, have drivers for all windows version including windows 10 with detailed installation instructions. My next step to achieve greater reliability will be to load those drivers and hope that the clone FTDI chip successfully sets the USB options so that the USB transceiver (that is what the FTDI is) works consistently

A few VCI vendors actually stipulate they use USB transceivers made by FTDI and not a clone mfr.

I am looking to bypass the above issue by looking to see if i can use a wifi interface with Techstream. A wifi interface does not use the FTDI chip at all. As was pointed out by S Keith, wifi will probably be slower than usb 2.0 (as the current wifi OBDII plugs are probably g or n protocols (not AC) ) but wifi will still be probably 480 times faster than the CAN bus upon which OBDII protocol is operating.

I should point out that USB connectors (the female part in your laptop) were designed (inadvertently) with the parts that wear (contact springs) in the connector, not the plug of the cable. the consequence is taht as your laptop gets older, the electrical connection in the USB connector will become less reliable. this is another reason why I am shifting to wifi OBDII plugs as I bypass the usb connector

#4 whburling, Apr 29, 2016
    Last edited: Apr 30, 2016
    coverturtle likes this.
  5. S Keith

S Keith Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2003 Prius
    In practical application, N is 1/3 the speed of USB 2.0 and AC is 2X the speed of USB 2.0.

6. wjtracy

wjtracy Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    ...OK (if I recall the bad joints were probably where the cable attaches to the card)

7. strawbrad

strawbrad http://minnesotahybridbatteries.com

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I have seen similar problems with VCI cables. Some will work with one car and lock up another. I have worked with five different cables and computers. It's kinda hit or miss what works and what does not.

The cables are not visually all the same. Components and connectors are arranged differently.

That is common when looking at battery live data. With one retry it will stay connected.

I would pay more for a quality cable that consistently worked.

whburling, you have a greater understanding of this than I do.

Brad

8. frodoz737

frodoz737 Top Wrench

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Does Techstream play with Windows10?

9. jdcollins5

jdcollins5 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Yes. I have it running on Windows 10. My experience is similar to S Keith and an intermittent communication retry every now and then. Otherwise it is solid.

10. whburling

whburling Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Thank you Brad for your input

11. whburling

whburling Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    II
    thank you S. Keith....I feel embarassed and rightfully so. I appreciated the correction so that the right information gets out there. Thank you again.
    bil

12. S Keith

S Keith Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2003 Prius
    You're welcome. I can't imagine properly implemented USB 2.0 having a bandwidth issue in this application. No idea about anything else though... :)

13. jzchen

jzchen Newbie!

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    My best guess. Pay TIS $55 to download the latest software and see if that resolves the problem...

iPad ?

14. dolj

dolj Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Firstly, you don't need to pay any amount for the TS download, it is available as a free download from the Toyota website.

Secondly, it is not TS that is the problem, but most likely the cable or the implementation of the driver for the cable that will be the problem, so getting a different version of TS is not likely to solve anything.

strawbrad likes this.
  15. jzchen

jzchen Newbie!

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    I don't know which Toyota site you are referring to, but:

https://techinfo.toyota.com/techInfoPortal/appmanager/t3/ti?_pageLabel=ti_whats_tis&_nfpb=true

iPad ?

16. dolj

dolj Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    #16 dolj, Nov 4, 2016
    Last edited: Nov 4, 2016
    05PreeUs likes this.
  17. jzchen

jzchen Newbie!

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    Ah, you live in the EU, where things are different. The site I linked is the Noth America/US site, where they do charge for the software.

Thank you for the link! I wonder if it works for North American VINs...

MT2L03 ?

18. dolj

dolj Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    It is the same software, so why wouldn't it. You select the region in the set up.

#18 dolj, Nov 4, 2016
    Last edited: Nov 5, 2016
  19. ILuvMyPriusToo

ILuvMyPriusToo Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I always wondered why folks said to pick "Europe" when they run the software . . .

20. 05PreeUs

05PreeUs Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A