1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Terrible Mileage 2013 level 3..third prius

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Fuel Economy' started by Eve, Mar 1, 2014.

1. Eve

Eve Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    OK, I haven't been here in a while so HI!:) I am on my third Prius 2013 level 3 and only getting 39-42 on my mileage.I had a 08, 10 and now this one .I would get 46 miles on the 10 with out even trying.
    I have 3000 miles so far .Called the dealer they said pump up tires to 40...THEY sent me out the door with 29..yeesh.They said wait until the 5000 mile check up be fore coming in because the car was getting used to me...sounds like BS.I took two 146 miles straight trips all highway.. there and back still only 42 max. Mostly I'm getting 39-41.I'm in south Florida it was a cool day.. ha! only 68 so my AC wasn't even on.Today I filled up again 39.. and my tires were back down to 33.Car was leased late November.
    any thoughts or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Read more: http://priuschat.com/threads/terrible-mileage-2013-level-3-third-prius.138180/#ixzz2ukgIeiCo
    Follow us: @PriusChat on Twitter | PriusChat on Facebook

2. Eve

Eve Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Also no significant extra weight in the car, maybe 100 lbs, and I did have cruise control at about 69-73.I do believe both days were windy, but typical for south florida.also my next door neighbor had purchased their 2010 prius same time as my previous 2010, and also never had any mileage problems.Was there a significant difference between the 2010 and the 2013? I really noticed a difference in this car from the moment I got in it.It feels like I am driving a corolla.It feels light weight and cheap. The blutooth never stays connected.MY 2010 felt solid..nothing like this car.It was also a level 3.

3. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    welcome back!(y) you have enough experience to know if there are any significant differences, so i would say it's definitely the car. one thing you might look at is the 12 volt battery, sometimes they run them down at the dealership and they never fully recover. no reason you shouldn't get at least the low end of your other two without changing anything like tyre pressure. check your oil level too, make sure it isn't above the full mark, although that doesn't usually happen at the factory. and no need to let the car 'get used to you', as you know from previous experience, that is baloney. i must say, that's the first time i've heard of a dealer recommend pumping up the tyres, if put in writing, that might make them liable, usually, they let the pressure out when you're in for service.

4. JimN

JimN Let the games begin!

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    Are you saying that your tires lost 7psi in 300 miles? I'd pump them up to max sidewall then check the tp regularly. If you're losing that much pressure in Florida there are leaks somewhere. If the dealer is too lazy to find them then do the legwork yourself.

5. retired4999

retired4999 Prius driver since 2005

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Yep! Up tires psi close to max tire psi on side wall of tire and put 2 psi less in rears. 33 psi increased to 40 psi will get you an additional 2-3 mpg. 100 extra pounds does make a difference in mpg, also speed does kill mpg, 64 mph instead of 70 mph will gain you another 3-5 mpg. It's all about choices.
    Enjoy your car!

-1- likes this.
  6. Eve

Eve Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    ok I will check tires regularly now...but mainly this isn't my first ride and my business travel is pretty much always the same distance , car weight ,how I drive ..etc...so to see this hugh of a discrepancy just seems WRONG:cautious:
    and like I stated previously, I just don't like this car and I LUVED my 2010 <3

retired4999 likes this.
  7. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    i think you're giving off bad carma and your kar is resenting it.

retired4999 likes this.
  8. Eve

Eve Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    ok thanks for all your help:)

9. Eve

Eve Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Update..called dealer again , they said there was a recall and to bring in car and they would reset computer with the update , check 12v battery ,oil etc...After chatting with the service manager about the whole mileage discussion ; he says do you ever go on prius chat??LOL! oh yes..i know you guys lurk out there.(y)
    All was OK and tires were still at 39
    so I said Ok, I will try NOT to be so heavy footed and go back to the old pulse and glide ..( which I find annoying) and be more Carmic Concious..:LOL: bisco
    NO CHANGE!ok maybe slightly.. 43 highway
    In fact today Im cleaning and sorting files, and I find the old sticker from my previous 2010 Prius and My new window sticker
    2013..which says fuel economy 50 MPG combined city/ highway..... 51city 48 Highway
    I don't see pulse and glide and make yourself crazy driving like its a video game in that sign.
    JUST SAYING.....
    But I will keep trying:)

10. bwilson4web

bwilson4web BMW i3 and Model 3

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    There is a reason why I publish this chart:
    [​IMG]
    • Start with a Prius that has been driven for at least 15-20 minutes to warm it up.
    • Use at least 10 mile stretch of level road with no stops
    • Set your cruise control to a given speed, keep your feet on the floor
    • Reset a trip meter upon entering the 10 mile stretch
    • Note the distance and miles at the end of the 10 mile or so stretch, now use all your controls
    • Run a second benchmark in the reverse direction
    • Average the two runs
    This does not require special driving skills and is reproducible by anyone able to follow the above instructions. If your particular Prius does not give similar results, something is broken. If it gives the same results, the car is fine and something else is causing poor mileage.

Bob Wilson

Eve likes this.
  11. cwerdna

cwerdna Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Fuel economy complaints/queries? Please copy, paste &amp; answer these questions, esp. if you're new | PriusChat
    Please read the links at Car and Driver: The Truth About EPA City / Highway MPG Estimates | PriusChat.

Also, see The Most Fuel-Efficient Cars | Best Cars for Gas - Consumer Reports for comparison. CR's tests are nothing like the EPA tests.

12. -1-

-1- Don

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    :)That's a recipe for Prius MPG success. Anyone driving a Prius can achieve great fuel mileage. Superior fuel mileage requires some effort. Effortless 40 MPG is still decent. I can't speculate on the decrease in MPG from your 2010 Prius to the 2013. My wife and I experienced the same thing going from a 1999 VW NewBeetle diesel to a 2006. Some things in life remain unexplained.

Eve likes this.
  13. jhinsc

jhinsc Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Short of anything wrong with the car, it's your driving style that determines your mpg's. While you may have achieved higher mileage with your 2010, driving styles can change depending on what's going on in your life, change of commute, more deadlines in your schedule, etc. I get better mileage on my v than you on your 2013 liftback and when I had my 2010 liftback, I regularly got low to mid 50's. I could do better but I don't want to change the way I drive, and I know I could do worse if I didn't drive the way I do now. One thing you might consider is to switch fuel stations/brands from what you're using. My favorite is Shell but will also use BP, but have I been using the fuel station at the local Kroeger store more because of the discount I can get there - up to $1/gallon off. My mileage hasn't suffered but I often wondered if the quality of the gas is as good as the big name brands (it comes down to the additives, not the gas itself). A few years back I used a fairly new HESS station and my mileage dropped 10% on that tank. I've never gone back and haven't had the same problem since.

14. Eve

Eve Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    jhinsc..interesting about gas stations,I feel the same way, I ONLY filling up at the Mobil on my corner, and it helps they have the best price around..I have used this station for all 3 cars.

Bob Wilson ..my first two long trips that were 143 each way ..are preceeded by about 10-15 minutes local driving; as that is usually how long it takes me to get to the turnpike from where I live..so I thought these were are ideal test drives.Second trip, I stopped for one hour and turned right around and came right back..you don't get any flatter land than Florida!but I did have my speed set high.
    Mostly local driving this week but I hope to go to Miami next week and see how I do.

15. Eve

Eve Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Two more comments about this car..
    Technical Questions for you geeks out there:D
    1) I always heard people complain how slow their prius was in pick up, and accelerating.. I never understood what they were talking about, as my 2010 had great pick up, and so did my 2008
    So Now I DO know what they are talking about..this car is like a turtle..
    The set up in the previous car, seemed to run on higher RPMS? so I wasn't tempted to stomp on the gas like I do now.
    Is it possible to reset it, so it runs higher and has better pick up??
    OR is that all done by the computer? and why would one car be so different from the other, if they are all run by computers?

2) also the settings on the dash are impossible to change..I see another thread about some one changing their gas values.Well my calendar is still set at 2012. I have tried numerous times to change ANYTHING in the menu no luck.
    So I asked dealer when I was in the other day to please also reset calendar...
    HAHA ..when I get back in the car its still set at 2012.Unfortunetly I didn't notice until I got home , even looked at their work sheet that said reset calendar!
    any hints on getting it to hold reset.

16. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    1) are you in eco, normal or power mode?
    2) what does the manual state?

17. tach18k

tach18k Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    I just drive my prius, nothing special and I drive it like my old 2001 ford f150, I get a average of 45mph, sometimes it may jump up to 47 to almost 50 without hills.

Eve and Chuck65 like this.
  18. Eve

Eve Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    bisco-normal.. I thought I would try power mode just to see if that helps..at this point im just playing around with everything.
    2) followed manual; it changes, but nothing holds..obviously the service department didn't do any better.
    when I go back for the 5000 I will address all issues again.

Yeah tach18k, I wish I had back my 2010..46mpg without a thought and I stomped on the gas all day long..
    ..but bisco says im giving off bad CAR KARMA ..so I will only whisper that sentiment:p

19. ursle

ursle Gas miser

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    I don't see tire size mentioned, are they 17's?
    I'd charge the 12v, change the cabin and ice filters, cycle the emergency brake several times (actually, "bad acceleration", I'd jack it up and make sure the ebrake isn't causing the problem) to make sure the cable isn't stuck, keep the tires at 40ish' psi;) ;) and while charging the 12v unhook the car for a cold computer reboot.

srivenkat likes this.
  20. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    good idea ^^^ something is holding her back, and i don't think it's the driver.