1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Tesla Adds Titanium Underbody Shield and Aluminum Deflector Plates to Model S

Discussion in 'Prius, Hybrid, EV and Alt-Fuel News' started by kenmce, Mar 28, 2014.

1. fuzzy1

fuzzy1 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Yup.

Many agricultural processing and storage facilities have exploded from high concentrations of product dust in the air. When I was little and heard about one particular incident, apparently I started plans to make a 'carrot bomb'.

2. Trollbait

Trollbait It's a D&D thing

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    The fire concern brought up about this plating was because some brush fires have been linked to titanium golf clubs sparking when hitting rocks. The worry isn't that the metal would burn, but the sparks could ignite something else.

This is a non-issue for the car. Any sparks off the S plate would only last about a second, and need a suitable kindling material to land in to start a fire. Lit cigarette butts flicked out a car window have a greater chance of finding fuel for a fire. If driven off pavement, on say a grass parking area, there might be, depending on how much of the titanium plate is covered by the plastic aero shield, a very small risk of igniting dry grass.

If people actually read the owner's manual to their gasoline or diesel car, they would find a warning about not parking over dry grass because the hot catalytic convertor can ignite it.

If a plane's skin is sparking, there are more pressing worries for the pilot.

austingreen likes this.
  3. FL_Prius_Driver

FL_Prius_Driver Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    I
    How times have changed. Now that the Prius is mainstream, it's those other "exotic" cars with risky technology we must worry about.

4. austingreen

austingreen Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    N/A
    Its a little sad that trollbait can't make a simple joke, without it going this far. Our overly safe and litigous society seems to focus on the wrong things. While Tesla quickly looked at the 3 fire incidents that caused no injuries, and were likely safer from fires than most other cars, gm now is getting grilled about deciding not to recall cars and install a $0.57 part. GM also quickly acted quickly to add shielding to the volts battery pack when NHTSA got one to catch fire days after an accident. Let's face it tesla's behaviour with the fire risk, went above and beyond what was needed. GM also went above and beyond with the volt. This is in stark contrast to GM, Toyota, and Fords accident investigations in the past to conventional vehicles, where they made decissions to save money, inspite of increased fatality risks.

Are mufflers and cats more likely to cause fires than tesla's new shield, of course they are, but somehow car fires from gasoline sources, or parts associated with ICEs are OK, but battery fires are not. Both should be considered alright if numbers of deaths and injuries are low enough.

Trollbait and Zythryn like this.
  5. Air_Boss

Air_Boss Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five

I suppose you know that the far greater current F1 threat is from an energized KERS system.

One Per Cent: KERS comes under the microscope after F1 blaze

Mechanic hospitalised after KERS incident - F1 news - AUTOSPORT.com

KERS and Marshalls - Racing Comments Archive - The AUTOSPORT Forums

Formula 1 car vents!!

6. Trollbait

Trollbait It's a D&D thing

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    So race car drivers and their pit crews wearing fire safety gear for years, if not decades, was just prepping for KERS? When does it get to NASCAR?

austingreen likes this.
  7. kgall

kgall Active Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I seem to remember that there was one month where Tesla S was the top selling car--any kind--in Norway.

8. kenmce

kenmce High Voltage Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    Limited
  9. Zythryn

Zythryn Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Electric Vehicle
    Model:
    N/A
    I recently had it done as well.
    They came to my house, dropped off another Model S and whisked mine off to the service center.
    No fuss, and didn't take any time out of my day. Absolutely love these guys.