1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Tesla unveils battery pack swapping

Discussion in 'Tesla' started by Paradox, Jun 21, 2013.

1. Paradox

Paradox Prius Enthusiast / Moderator
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    Tesla S owners will have two options it seems for getting back on the road at super charger stations... A free super charger charge, which if course takes a little bit of time, or a quick battery pack swap which could cost between $60-$80. Swap time... Around a minute and a half. But there's a catch, it says in the article you must reclaim your battery on the return trip or pay the difference in cost of the new battery pack.

Read article: Electric car maker Tesla unveils 90-second battery pack swap| Reuters

Watch video: Battery Swap | Tesla Motors

Sergiospl likes this.
  2. usbseawolf2000

usbseawolf2000 HSD PhD

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    It looks like you'll have to pay again when you reclaim your battery since it is considered another swap. $120-$160.

What if you do a second swap at another swapping station? You'll have to backtrack the same path back home in order to "reverse" the order of the swaps.

3. Trollbait

Trollbait It's a D&D thing

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Just highlights a major issue with the battery swapping concept. These aren't propane tanks that might need a new valve and some fresh paint and they provide the same capacity as new. Battery capacity degrade over time, and with swapping programs, there never seemed to be a way of ensuring you got a battery at least as good as the old one.

Tesla is just ensuring you pick up your pack or you pay for getting a newer one to avoid that mess.

4. usbseawolf2000

usbseawolf2000 HSD PhD

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    There is an option to have your pack delivered to you for transportation fee. Not sure how it would get swapped out when it gets delivered to your home. I would think you'll have to visit the nearest swapping station.

My PiP can refuel 10 gallons ($38) in a minute and go 500 miles. 85kWh pack swap would be good for 265 miles range. I know the two cars are not comparable in "class". Just making a point.

Tesla used Audi A8(?) to compare the refueling speed. The cost to swap the pack is said to be about 15 gallons of gas. A8 is rated 21 MPG combined so 15 gallons would go 315 miles. A8 highway is rated 28 MPG so it should get 420 miles for purely highway driving.

Swapping does not make financial sense. If the cost is the factor, just get a free charge with the super charger.

JMD likes this.
  5. Zythryn

Zythryn Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Electric Vehicle
    Model:
    N/A
    No need to backtrack, you just need to make sure your last station is the same as your first so you can get your original pack.
    Since this would most likely be the swap station closest to your home, it shouldn't be an issue unless you are moving or making a one way trip for some reason.

What point? That smaller cars tend to be more efficient than larger ones? Is that news to anyone?

6. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    this sounds like a major step in the right direction, i like tesla's commitment! why am i reminded of steve jobs?

7. usbseawolf2000

usbseawolf2000 HSD PhD

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    I do not want this to become PiP vs Model S discussion.

Some would argue that the Model S is more efficient than PiP, just by looking at vehicle efficiency or the big EPA MPGe number. If we include the fuel production efficiency, that's a totally different conversation.

The point was the range and refueling speed. I was just pointing out that PiP simply use the gasoline, to avoid the need to swap battery pack or super high speed battery charging -- to achieve the same practicality (if not better).

There are reasons/preferences to go full electric. It is good to see this alternative even better than non-hybrid gas cars.

8. Zythryn

Zythryn Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Electric Vehicle
    Model:
    N/A
    Agreed. I was very skeptical of a battery swap system and look forward to seeing more details.
    It is getting almost humorous how people tell Musk he can't do something, and then he does:)

I agree, curious if you don't want it to, why you made the first comparison and then followed up with the second. BTW, that is a rhetorical question, no need to continue down that route.

minkus likes this.
  9. markabele

markabele owner of PiP, then Leaf, then Model 3

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    N/A
    True but I don't think people that are paying this much for a car probably care as much about those small financial decisions as much as you and I might.

minkus likes this.
  10. JMD

JMD 2012 Prius 4 Solar Roof

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    It looks like a man less operation which saves Tesla Money.

11. John H

John H Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I think the announcement also dispels the fud about not being able to get an older battery pack replaced or having your original battery pack serviced. The days of leaving a vehicle for weeks at the dealer's service department may be ending.

I need to confirm, but I also think this means you could temporarily swap a 40kWh pack for an 85kWh pack.

minkus likes this.
  12. JMD

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    An Israeli company went belly up swapping batteries as a business. This may be different

13. usbseawolf2000

usbseawolf2000 HSD PhD

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Tesla made it seem like Model S refuels faster than the gas powered car (A8). Notice, they did not bring up the range at all. A8 can go 616 highway miles with the 22 gallons it refueled.

I was just saying that there are other gas powered cars that refuel faster than the battery swap.

It looks like CARB will not recognize battery swapping as refueling.

14. usbseawolf2000

usbseawolf2000 HSD PhD

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Yes, they'll bill you the difference.

Elon addressed it in the video. Better Place got the battery swapping idea from Tesla. Shai Agassi was a good salesman but lacks the technical how-to for the execution.

JMD likes this.
  15. JMD

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    At the least Elon respond to the vocal minority that complained about waiting hours for a charge.

16. John H

John H Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    They will bill you the difference if you choose not to swap back to your original pack.

An informal response from someone at Tesla indicates the loaner pack swaps are all 85kWh packs. So for ~$60 you can temporarily transform your 40kWh Model S daily driver to a 85kWh road warrior. :)

minkus likes this.
  17. Zythryn

Zythryn Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Electric Vehicle
    Model:
    N/A
    I would suggest that it doesn't make financial sense from the companies viewpoint, if it is the focus of the business. $60-$80 is not all that unreasonable from a consumer's viewpoint.
    Personally, I think I would always use the superchargers as they are free and I can use a stretch or meal every once in a while.

With the ability for Tesla to use the packs for grid level storage backup, as well as supporting their main product I suspect it does make financial sense from a business standpoint.
    But no way for a stand alone like better place.

18. JMD

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Four
  19. Zythryn

Zythryn Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Electric Vehicle
    Model:
    N/A
    Oh absolutely! Options are good, and for those that are in a hurry, I am sure they won't mind paying for it.

Just saying that personally, I have no issue with a stop to get food or a stretch of the legs to recharge for free:)

JMD likes this.
  20. usbseawolf2000

usbseawolf2000 HSD PhD

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Good point. They dropped the 40kWh version. The choices are 60kWh of 85kWh.