1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Tesla unveils battery pack swapping

Discussion in 'Tesla' started by Paradox, Jun 21, 2013.

1. james cook

james cook Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    Two
    now if they can only get 500 miles on a 85kWh battery I'd be sold...

2. Trollbait

Trollbait It's a D&D thing

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    It depends on whether the car can 'see' the full kWh of the battery. The 40kWh cars they did produce have a 60kWh pack, but are programed to only use 40kWh. An owner of a 40kWh can now opt to gain access of the full battery for a fee.

For swapping for more performance to work all depends on where the software controlling the use of the pack's kWh is physically at. In the pack, no problem. In the car, you might be stuck at the pack 'size' that came with the car.

3. JMD

JMD 2012 Prius 4 Solar Roof

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Elon although an innovator still gets challenged in NC and now NY. Amazing how people try and put him out of business

image.jpg

4. John H

John H Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    The informal discussion with someone at Tesla indicates that when you swap at the supercharger you will get the full functionality of the loaner battery, as well as an net invoice for the upgrade, and then when you swap back to your original you will get a net credit for the downgrade, plus a net ~$80 fee for the swap/energy.

What becomes an interesting option is that if you get the 85kWh option and then realize you are rarely using the capacity, you can also downgrade after the initial purchase.

With this recent development I can see a renewed interest in a 40kWh base model.

minkus likes this.
  5. cwerdna

cwerdna Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Yep. Better Place went bankrupt. Posted about it Better Place anyone? | Page 2 | PriusChat.

Funny thing is that supposedly Musk said each swap station is $500K. That is coincidentally the same amount as the cost of Better Place's stations... I'm unclear how widespread Tesla really plans on making these swapping stations outside the initial areas. Seems like a huge money pit to me.

edit: Fixed my post. Had a total brain fart earlier on the cost and was off by orders of magnitude. :eek:

JMD likes this.
  6. JMD

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Time will tell. I'm sure they did some market research but my gut says this is more PR than a profit center for the company.

7. usbseawolf2000

usbseawolf2000 HSD PhD

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    So, the title and vehicle registration said you have 60kWh model but you actually have 85kWh battery pack. The weight of the vehicle would differ too. I wonder if that will cause any issue with DMV.

That include 50 battery packs available to swap. So, $10k per 85kWh pack? The cost of the swapping equipment must be pretty cheap.

JMD likes this.
  8. Trollbait

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    When it comes to engine swaps in Pa, the only condition is that the replacement engine by the same year or newer than the vehicle. That's to prevent dirtier equipment from being put into a cleaner rated vehicle. Since engine swapping is somewhat common among the various mod crowds. I don't think the requires for the DMV are much more onerous than Pa's. I don't see a DMV caring what size the actual battery in the car is. The only ones that might raise an issue are insurance companies.

9. The Electric Me

The Electric Me Go Speed Go!

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    That's really interesting.
    But at that cost and then having the responsibility of returning to reclaim my original battery pack? I think I'd rather just hang out for 30 minutes and recharge at the supercharge station.

10. Trollbait

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    I think most owners would agree with you. I think Tesla is just offering this to counter the 'charging takes too long in case of emergencies' arguement.

I wonder if the stand by batteries will be put to other uses while waiting for someone to swap with, like peak shaving.

11. JMD

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    I believe battery capacity is software switchable by Tesla. If you purchased a 60KW and they swap in a 85 the software will only govern to what you purchase

12. cwerdna

cwerdna Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Ack! I screwed up. I meant each station is $500K, not $500 million. :eek::oops:

I need to go back and fix my post. No, I doubt the $500K includes any pack costs.

Tesla answers questions about battery swap announcement has some answers and also mentions $500K per site.

13. John H

John H Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Well ... the DMV didn't say anything when I added a second 20 gallon fuel tank to an F250.

14. markabele

markabele owner of PiP, then Leaf, then Model 3

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    N/A
    And how long will those packs just waiting at the swapping station be there full of charge? That can't be good for the packs, can it?

15. Zythryn

Zythryn Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Electric Vehicle
    Model:
    N/A
    Tesla has been very good with pack management.
    I strongly suspect the swap stations will also be the stations that have energy storage on site.
    I would guess that packs will be rotated into and out of the 'energy storage group' so few of the packs are 'full' at any one time and no single pack remains at 'full' for very long.

However, this is pure speculation based upon my experience with Tesla packs.
    Your speculative question about the health of the batteries in storage is just as valid.
    However, Musk seems to know what he is doing.

markabele likes this.
  16. Air_Boss

Air_Boss Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five

BYD in China, likewise, evaluated swappable packs and decided against it. An interesting concept with limited cost-effective practicality, after reading the fine print.

JMD likes this.
  17. Zythryn

Zythryn Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Electric Vehicle
    Model:
    N/A
    I would completely agree for a business focused only on battery swapping.
    With the interplay of solar/grid storage/supercharging/battery swapping/BEVs I think it may just work as every part supports every other part.

JMD likes this.
  18. JMD

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    At least you admitted it. That takes Integrity

19. vinnie97

vinnie97 Whatever Works

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    N/A
    Ah, so *this* was the previously announced demonstration showing a quick battery charge. A little misleading but a good option to have since Elon and Tesla are still bound by physics. :)

20. hill

hill High Fiber Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Chevy Volt
    Model:
    Premium
    That makes me grin, too.