1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

The $3000 Brake Job

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Care, Maintenance & Troubleshooting' started by Dark_matter_doesn't, Apr 22, 2013.

1. MikeDee

MikeDee Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    It's disconcerting to me how expensive repair parts are for the Prius. Seems like a huge ripoff.

Galaxy Nexus ? 2

2. Former Member 68813

Former Member 68813 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Agree, but it's not just prius. Google for toyota hydroboost brake failures.

3. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Don't get me started about Honda's power antennas...

WE0H likes this.
  4. WE0H

WE0H Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    That sounds like a good story to hear ;)

Mike

5. fotomoto

fotomoto Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    My '08 HyCam that I bought used came with a bad brake accumulator. Having hybrid experience, I heard the system priming when the salesman opened the hood. He didn't know what it was so I explained. What I dismissed during my inspection was it priming again before I shut the hood.

Weeks later after purchase, I was dismayed to find out via toyotanation that frequent priming was a imminent sign of brake accumulator failure and were fairly frequent for my year and mileage. Even so, used ones of unknown reliability were snatched up quickly on ebay for around $7-800 because new units were nearly $3,000 with dealer installation due to special brake machine required.

6. ggood

ggood Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    The ABS box is also going bad on my o7 Hycam with 70,000 miles. Lots of charming squeals and churning ABS pistons if you hold it down too firmly. Seems to get worse in wet weather. We still haven't decided whether to fix it or trade it. I see some test drives coming in the near future. For some reason, my wife doesn't want to look at Camrys! My local shop said they'd just fixed a Prius with 54,000 miles with the same issue and had fixed other relatively low mileage Toyota cars with this issue. They said they could only get the part from Toyota, for around $2,500, and would not trust a salvaged part.

7. Agape

Agape Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    It worries me that on the basis of this post I noticed one tendency which isn't specific to one country. Globally Toyota certain Toyota dealerships have an opportunity to find certain customers and convince them of certain expenditures.
    Here in Ireland I had trouble with two dealerships and only after intervention at Toyota Ireland I was able to get things sorted my way. However my Prii wasn't immobilised, this is very important word since I noticed that once they have your car in bits then they feel they hold all the cards. Pity that Toyota does allow such behaviour as even here Toyota Ireland said in few emails to me that they distance themselves from dealerships in certain ways which means many dealerships play hard card game as they know that part of this money goes to Toyota.
    If you play hard you will get your way but you need to do your homework first. I don't know of yours specific situation but it seems like dealership made already many reasons and you didn't react in writing to Toyota US, and I don't think you can sort anything by speaking over the phone. Hopefully you will get it sorted your way.

8. Dark_matter_doesn't

Dark_matter_doesn't Prius Tinkerer

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Epilogue: going thru my mail after a two week vacation, I found a check from Toyota for the $1500 promised by the dealer service manager. I'll let him know tomorrow.

32kcolors and JMD like this.
  9. Former Member 68813

Former Member 68813 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Will they reimburse you for the balance under the recall stipulations?

10. Dark_matter_doesn't

Dark_matter_doesn't Prius Tinkerer

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    I haven't received a recall notification yet, and both the service manager and I are curious about how that would affect my situation. Has anyone else received a brake system recall notification?

11. 32kcolors

32kcolors Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    It's shown on my Toyota owners site but I haven't received the actual notification or been contacted either.

12. gliderman

gliderman Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Not sure if anyone has received a recall. I think I read somewhere, or what I think I remember, they will be coming out before the end of the year. Whatever that means.

13. mmmodem

mmmodem Senior Taste Tester

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    ECU died on my 2006 Corolla. Cost a couple grand to repair. Swore I'd never buy a Toyota again. A few months afterwards, there was an ECU recall. I filled out the recall form and Toyota fully reimbursed me. All done through the mail.

32kcolors likes this.
  14. neilz

neilz Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    I received a recall notice. However, it said that Toyota was working on a new part and when it was ready, I would be contacted.