1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Thinking of upgrading my speakers

Discussion in 'Prius c Audio and Electronics' started by cubchan, Mar 15, 2012.

1. SquallLHeart

SquallLHeart The Techie Guy

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    Two
    using a pac-swi steering wheel control adapter, the steering wheel controls were preserved... including the phone bluetooth buttons..

so.. yes.. from prior experiences and from what other people have told me, the stock microphone doesn't work well with aftermarket systems, so the mic that came with the avic unit was routed and mounted in front of the map/dome lights.

also got a license plate rear-view camera routed and hooked up to the headunit as well.

fyi, just to be sure everyone knows, this is not my Prius C, but kewlfox's.. he just finished having tint done to the vehicle (20% rear, 50% front) as well as finishing up hooking up a subwoofer and amp which we spent a good amount of time routing wires for the other night.

much thanks to Bryan and Jim at All Pro Audio in Santa Clara for the additional help and assistance.

2 people like this.
  2. nallioni

nallioni New Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    looks nice!:rockon:

3. Daze

Daze Prius C Owner

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    Four
    Do you think you could post the pictures of the subwoofer? And the amp? Im installing one too and I'd like to see what you came up with.

4. SquallLHeart

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    Two
    the amp is hiding on the driver side.. forward left of the spare tire.. mounted in that corner.. and then the foam insert cut out to make space for it.. the power wire routed right to the battery where the rear passenger seat is.

the sub box fits snugly in the trunk area with enough room for the cover to come down and still a good amount of storage area. kewlfox is out and about and i might see his car tomorrow so i can snap some photos.

5. Shiesty

Shiesty New Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    One
    I took the rear door panels off yesterday and was going to install some Polk DXi 650 6.5" speakers on the C1 and no wires were there. Took out the stock stereo and there was one wire on the harness going to the rear speakers but no speaker wires. Wow wonder what bean counter decided to save .50 for not installing speaker wires to the back doors. The stereo has a fade so you would think that they at least would have ran wires back there but no.

Anyway the sound on the C1 is horrible to say the least. I will buying a Pioneer AVIC-X940BT and Pioneer TS-D1720C 6.75-Inch D-Series 280-Watt Speaker Package for the front doors, drilling out the riveted sub woofers in the door. I think the 6.75-Inch sub woofers with fit in the front doors but I am not sure.

6. actiondonkey

actiondonkey Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    II
    Looks great. Is there an amp you had to bypass or does the C2 not come with one? Did Kewlfox notice if the added draw hurt his MPG? I'd think not since it pulls from the 12v and not EV battery but may add a cap just in case...

Next time I head down to Orlando in early May I'll be putting in a PNX-671 with the rear license plate camera and Access ASWC steering wheel module. Of course amp and speakers (Memphis Audio). But we need the grocery/luggage space so the subs ( two 8s or 10s) will go in the spare tire area with a custom (plexiglass?) enclosure. Also going to incorporate the bass adjustment knob into one of the unused button slots next to EV.

7. SquallLHeart

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    Two
    he hasn't driven his car long enough prior to installation... so there's no real control from his previous mileage to compare to..

there was no amp to bypass.

8. kewlfox

kewlfox New Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    N/A
    sorry on not really posting, work for the dealer i baught mine from(no discounts hahaha) but the project is simple i took my stand by image dynamics idq3 sub and a sealed 12" slanted box and a jl audio JX500/1 amp and stock speakers and so far the system is on par with a decent mid grade sound system. the intriging part of the install was the simplicity of it. if i were to do it again install time would be 5hrs-7hrs. the dash insert right now is a custom fit thin mdf piece with suede wrap, it will be fitted with a metra or what ever kit that comes out. the only pain in the @$$ problem was the cutting of foam for the hidden amp. up next is tails head light smoking and a set of scion iQ liquid metal alloys. and much more to come.

1 person likes this.
  9. Daze

Daze Prius C Owner

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    Four
    That sounds very exciting. Once my Habanero prius C 3 arrives im going to install a 10 inch alpine type r with a 500 watt alpine amplifier (mrp-m500). Then im going to tint the windows to the legal limit and get some black rims. Ill make a thread of my own once i get everything figured out.

I was thinking of doing the same with hiding the amp under the styrofoam inserts but wasnt sure if this could lead to possible overheating problems for the amp. I might just mount it on the enclosure. I would be really thankful if you could post pictures of your setup!

10. kewlfox

kewlfox New Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    N/A
    sure ill get some pics up later this afternoon, depending on the amps heat reducing properties(fans large heatsinks,etc etc) i personally like the under styrofoam method with quick disconnects for the sub box, later down the line im having a pocket mounted 10" sub installed.

1 person likes this.
  11. MICT

MICT New Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    Two
    Can you guys list the model number of the wire harness used and also the module to retain the stock controls? If you have links to where they were purchases that would be handy as well.

Thanks,
    MICT

12. kewlfox

kewlfox New Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    N/A
    of course let me get those for you guys

1 person likes this.
  13. Tek55

Tek55 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    Two
    I had a pac-swi setup w my Camry and a kenwood dnx9140 and was always annoyed at the long delay between button presses and the head unit responding, ESPECIALLY with iPod control.

I understand some of this is just the iPod, but do you notice a delay with all button presses w your pioneer head unit + pac-swi?

That seriously drives me nuts waiting 2-5 seconds for the head unit to respond

14. kewlfox

kewlfox New Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    N/A
    oddly enough no theres not a whole bunch of lag in it maybe like a half second to a second delay in it.

15. Tek55

Tek55 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    Two
    And every function is kept intact? Looks like I'm gonna be surprisingly pleased at not getting entune! Aftermarket here I come!

16. nallioni

nallioni New Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    i hear ya

17. drew935

drew935 Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    Any updates on the steering control wiring harness diagram?

18. JRo

JRo Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    One
    Hi Squall, in a totally unrelated note, where did you get that wheel cover that fits? I had that same one for my old Rav4 and would like the same for the little Prius c.

Thanks.

19. koipond

koipond Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    Four
    I just purchased a Prius C 3 with the nav system/radio combo-unit. Due to all the features built into this device (and the fact that it even functions as a monitor for some car/driving data display), I'd really rather leave it in place.

Trouble is I'm also an audiophile.

Question... by any chance does this existing head unit have RCA/line-level output to feed an external amp? I'd be willing to live with the compromise of the factory pre-amp section if I could have my own external amp. If no, is there any reasonable step-down device that can, with "decent" sound-quality results, take the speaker-level output of the headunit and step down to line-level for an amp? I have two linear power amps I'd like to use if possible and they only have line-level input. Thoughts? Bottom line is I'm wondering what's the best-sounding option I have that also keeps the existing head-unit in-tact in the dash.

thanks!