1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Tinting prius

Discussion in 'Newbie Forum' started by Granzon, Sep 7, 2014.

1. Granzon

Granzon New Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius
    Model:
    Persona
    Hi

Will tinting the windows void the warranty? Also, is it hard to tint the prius , meaning lots of disassembly to the car?
    When people tint the prius, do they tint the trunk window? In my old car, the trunk or rear windows have those parallel lines to heats up the glass during winter. I see those too on my 2015 persona. I dont know if we can apply tint on the trunk window.

Thanks

2. EvaFlorida

EvaFlorida New Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Hi! I had the Toyota dealership tint the windows when I bought my Prius. They did the rear window as well. Mine is a 2014 Prius Two but it has those same heating lines. Tinting does not affect the warranty. Just make sure the level of tint you choose is legal in your state. You could get a ticket if you make it too dark.

3. ETC(SS)

ETC(SS) The OTHER One Percenter.....

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Tinting the windows will not void your warranty in any way.
    Read:
    Magnuson–Moss Warranty Act - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

I'd go to several moderately expensive window tinting shop and price different products.
    Unless you live in Podunk there will be several shops in your area, and if you do live in Podunk, the Prius gets good mileage.
    Drive to some place that does have some good shops.

Tinting is one of those things in life that you have to spend a little bit of money up front on and get a good product.
    If you want to know why, visit a seedy used-car lot.
    If you don't get it done right, it's going to look like some of those cars.

If you don't know your state's tint laws find out what they are. A good tint shop knows exactly what they are.
    Remember...if you're looking to make the inside of your car cooler, darker isn't always better.
    If your primary interest is making the outside of the car look cooler, then also remember that you're going to be more noticeable to folks who may not like the blackened out windows look.

Your call.
    Good Luck!

4. DaneH5

DaneH5 Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Mine was tinted at the dealership too. Everything behind the dash with the exception of the rear most glass under the spoiler was tinted. Clearwater Toyota uses a company that has a lifetime warranty.

5. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Would help if you add your location in your signature. Reg's vary by region.

Personally I don't like aftermarket tint, wouldn't do it. But it's popular. One litmus test for any mod:

What would a potential buyer of your car think, when they learn it's tinted? Again, some love it. Some not.

6. JimboPalmer

JimboPalmer Tsar of all the Rushers

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    Without knowing your location, how could we know?

In the US, it won't, but Window tint is subject to both State and local laws, so you need to investigate every legal jurisdiction you travel through. We can't help, we do not know where you are.
    Tint Laws

Do not forget to add the stock tint to the tint you buy, to keep legal.

Outside the US, Warranties will vary by nation and we do not know yours. So will tint laws.

Frankly it is a mistake to let owners even register without a location.