1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Tire Racks e-mails/promos -- any experience

Discussion in 'Fred's House of Pancakes' started by Stevewoods, Aug 26, 2016.

1. Stevewoods

Stevewoods Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I have picked a new tire I want to buy. But, I can wait a few months and I want to see if it will go on some sort of promotion before the end of the year.

TireRack offers an option to sign-up for rebate/sales/promotion alerts. How are they? Do they only send when they really have something, or do they load your mailbox several times a week, or even a day, such as Groupon, Sears and a few others do?

I don't need more spam, but if they are responsible, I will sign up.

For those who care, my caution is:

Long ago, some Web site was hacked. It was an online retailer. I don't remember if I ever knew who it was, or not.

I do know that Google sent me an alert saying that my FORMER gmail password was part of the hack. Apparently, I had used that same password at this retail site. I never stored my credit card information on that site, so, as far as I know, I had no real issues from the incident, since I change my gmail password on a regular basis and use a very complicated password.

And, I don't know how gmail knows so much that I had used the same password (which I never do now).

But, ever since then, I have been inundated with SPAM, since my gmail account address was part of the information hacked.

It's the typical "Grow your Male Organ" as well as others more dangerous, such as immediate alert from PayPal, click here. Some days, 20 or so such messages, out of the 22 emails I might get that day.

I constantly create new filters, but they constantly come up with ways to defeat them.

2. fotomoto

fotomoto Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    I use another email account specifically for these reasons. I even had a dedicated one just for car shopping as dealers can be the worst spammers.

Stevewoods likes this.
  3. Stevewoods

Stevewoods Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Obviously, I am wearing my pointy cap for a reason. Yes, I also have such an account, but....must be the extreme heat here in Seattle, just totally blew right past that solution.

I'll use my hotmail address for this. Thanks.

4. DonDNH

DonDNH Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Four Touring

I use an account at mail.com and juno.com when I want to be able to review selected emails without filling my real accounts with junk. Anything I'm not looking for goes to the trash. I only look at the account when I'm looking for a deal or occasionally to clear out the junk. I never send anything from this account, so it doesn't get replicated around the internet.