1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Tire shop charging for tpms "rebuilding"

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Accessories & Modifications' started by problemchild, Aug 7, 2009.

1. problemchild

problemchild New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    I called to get a quote for tires and they said they need to "rebuild" the tpms into the new tire install.

I have never read such a thing here. They want to charge me 10 dollars for each tire to move and "rebuild" the tpms into the new tire.

Is this BS or normal?

2. firepa63

firepa63 Former Prius Owner

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Sounds like a little BS to me. I've never heard of "rebuilding" a TP Monitor. What does their "rebuild" include?

3. brick

brick Active Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    They replace the valve core. Some do it, some don't...I don't think you need it unless yours are leaky. (And if they're leaky, they may just need to be snugged up a bit.) More important to me is that they don't break the ****ing TPMS in the process of changing the tires! Been there, lost a fight for compensation, but I'm not bitter or anything...

4. firepa63

firepa63 Former Prius Owner

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    And that's called "rebuilding"???

5. spitinuri

spitinuri Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius

It used to be called replacing the valve stem. It a way to build in additional charges to a tire change. Find a shop that does everything inclusive (free rototion and balancing).

6. acacia987

acacia987 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    i got mine installed at Mr. tire here in MD. Unfortunately they somehow cracked the TPMS, but were cool about it and called Toyota to get an OEM one to replace. i think there like $100 ish or something. i would probobly just live with the yellow light if i ever had to replace them on my own tab. But the prius TPMS is the kind that can have the core changed? that is good to know.