1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

tires for higher clearance, mud

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Accessories and Modifications' started by VT Henry, Apr 7, 2014.

1. VT Henry

VT Henry Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Any have experience with higher tires than spec in any prius model? I am thinking of 205/70/15"
    How about on the C? I live on 4 miles of dirt road in Vermont and want to burn as little gas as possible.
    Thanks Henry

2. ursle

ursle Gas miser

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    26.3" vs the 25 standard or factory size, might take some modifications, be cheaper to buy an old jeep for mud season ans use the great gas mileage the rest of the year.

Putting the 26.3's on would change the gearing, no power when starting, none....in mud
    great mileage when doing 42mph, but getting out of mud takes HP, and yes clearance, cheap jeep

3. VT Henry

VT Henry Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Thanks Ursle
    I do have an uninspectable 3/4 ton plough truck which could be my ferry to the blacktop but not convenient. When I am out I usually have to travel long distances, supermarket-hair cut-doctors-excercise class all 35 mi, trips to my significant others house 85 mi (all one way miles). My drive gets loaded with snow as well and if I have to beat out a path with multiple runs then my old 6.1" clearance hatchback would scoop snow up into the air deflector under the engine which routinely tore it off. I do not know what under the prius or how it may behave with abuse.
    Any others that can report on using over hight tires? I do not yet own a prius but have a very high priority on using much less fossil fuel. The tesla is out of my price bracket:)-
    Thanks
    Henry in Vermont