1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Total amnesia after a grid charge!

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by blk924s, Feb 14, 2016.

1. blk924s

blk924s New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    My '08 has lost all communication between computers after a complete battery reconditioning (charge/balance, discharge to .8V/cell, charge, discharge to .5V/cell, charge, .1V/cell, charge/balance). The car won't start, many (all?) warning lights are on, and even the fuel gauge flashes empty which isn't correct.

I have these U codes:

U0293 - Lost communication with hybrid powertrain control module
    0100 - lost com with engine control module / powertrain control module "A"
    0111 - lost com with battery energy control module A
    0126 - lost com with steering angle sensor mod
    0124 - lost com with lateral accel sensor mod
    0123 - lost com with the yaw rate sensor mod
    0073 - ABS control mod communication bus off

Things I've tried:

I read 233V at the + and - terminals of the HV batt with the orange plug installed, and 0V with it uninstalled. Unhooked the 12V battery ground and reinstalled multiple times, tried erasing codes, checked all fuses underhood, under dash, the two on the 12V battery, and the big kahuna at the HV orange plug. I've checked the various plugs for looseness around the electronics on the driver's side of the HV battery, and disconnected the "car harness" portion of the grid charger from the main terminals to see if they were somehow interfering.

The only other fishy thing is that I have is that after the initial code read I plugged the scanner in again, and the park drive reverse neutral braking lights on the instrument cluster all had flashing blocks around them, and the scanner kept having problems communicating. Then it finally did after powering the ignition down and up again, but it didn't communicate with the PCM, although honestly I can't remember if I checked the fuses before or after this problem. I'm gonna go try it again right now.

I'd REALLY appreciate any brainstorming and help anyone can spare!

Gabe

2. S Keith

S Keith Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2003 Prius
    Remove the grid charger harness and try again.

3. Patrick Wong

Patrick Wong DIY Enthusiast

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    What is the condition of the 12V battery?

edthefox5 likes this.
  4. edthefox5

edthefox5 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    You killed the 12 volt battery leaving the hatch open.Pat you and i posted it the same time. Pretty easy one lol.....I'm getting a hybrid charger soon. I would have hooked a 12 volt battery charger to the front jumpers wheil charging the hybrid battery.
    Everybody gets a charge!! Woo Hoo!

#4 edthefox5, Feb 14, 2016
    Last edited by a moderator: Feb 15, 2016
  5. strawbrad

strawbrad http://minnesotahybridbatteries.com

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    II
    First check the 12 volt battery.

These codes are what I have seen with failed Skid Control Computers. The cars generally act possessed when the Skid Control Computer fails.

Brad

6. blk924s

blk924s New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    I wish it had been so simple! Thanks though, I hadn't even checked aux voltage ;)
    12V has a full charge (I'd disconnected during grid charging but topped it off anyways) and I cleared all codes, but two stubborn new ones remain-
    C1310 malfunction in HV system
    C1259 HV system regenerative malfunction.
    And no start.

Why do you think the fuel level light would be flashing empty?

7. ericbecky

ericbecky Hybrid Battery Hero

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Don't worry about the fuel level. That generally corrects itself after a short time once the car starts up correctly.
    Did you unplug the computers inside the battery pack when doing the charging? If so make sure the computer plugs are fully seated and the ground strap is connected again.

8. Patrick Wong

Patrick Wong DIY Enthusiast

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Check the orange traction interlock switch.

Fuel gauge flashes after the 12V has been reconnected.

m.wynn likes this.
  9. m.wynn

m.wynn Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    When you replace the service plug, you need to flip the lever up and then slide it down. The slide down part is often missed!!

10. ericbecky

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    The fact that the poster mentioned that he measured the voltage with plug inserted and with it removed, led me to believe he knows about correct insertion of the safety plug.
    But it never hurts to have another reminder.

11. blk924s

blk924s New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Yes I've checked the orange plug.

I've removed the portion that hooks up to the HV battery, but not the inline fan controller. Do you think I should?

What ground strap are you referring to? Thanks for the info on the fuel level, and no I didn't take the plus out until after I had the initial problem starting. I have since checked them for being seated.

12. ericbecky

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Sounds like you didn't remove the internal computer in the pack, so you would not have removed the ground strap nut.

Did you unplug the hybrid battery fan? If so did you remember to plug it back in?

I would remove the in line fan controller.
    Just to eliminate it as a possible issue.

13. ikefor

ikefor Member

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    You may want to check the fusible link in the fusebox up in the hood to see if its broken....never know!

14. blk924s

blk924s New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    I do believe in miracles now. Yesterday I went to try starting again as I have every day for the past several days. I had wired in a 12V batt charger and gave it a better charge than my previous jump start charge, and having removed the grid charger wiring, checking every fuse in the whole vehicle, fiddling with several plugs back by the HV battery, I hit the button, and it started. There was a dead misfire on cyl 4 at first, which went away after about 3 minutes of warming up. I cleared codes again, and drove it. I reinstalled the grid charger harness with great trepidation, and tried starting again, which it did. Today I did one last charge/balance session. I do notice improved performance, e.g. the car will actually accelerate from a stop in EV mode now w/ no help from the ICE. And I can drive up hills. Coincidentally, my cell phone had been giving me battery trouble for a week or so now too, and it seems to have miraculously fixed itself today as well, so all I can figure is there was some sort of quantum hybrid lithium NiMH entanglement going on. So relieved to have the Prius healthy again!