1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

1. Walker1

Walker1 Empire

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I have had "Sir Gumdrop" for 2 1/2 mos. The car came with a paint sealant from Toyota. We have a bottle of Toyo Guard. It says on the bottle it's a sealant cleaner. The directions say to wipe in all over the exterior every 2-3 months to remove grime & stains. Then, buff out with a clean cloth.

OK, No problem. One question- where does waxing the car come in? I usually wax my vehicles every 3 mos. Does someone have this sealant and use this product? If so, do you wax the car also? Thanks all.

2. jeromep

jeromep Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Toyoguard is your sales region's way of making extra money with very little extra effort or cost. I'm sorry you got it because unless you paid $19.95 for the whole thing, you got ripped. I'm sure you paid much more

The paint sealant that is part of Toyoguard is not all that impressive. Don't rely on it to protect your finish forever. Most folks comment that it is a very robust wax, but there are lots of good DIY car care products out there, not available at vanilla auto parts stores, which will do more for your finish than the one time coating of Toyoguard stuff. I recommend the Zaino product line. It really works as described.

As for the bottle of stuff you got from Toyota. I expect that is a cleaner or solvent which is supposed to not strip off the wax that was applied as part of Toyoguard. Most car wash solutions are designed to not strip away too much of a waxing, but they still do so after multiple washes, thus the need to rewax your car every now and then.

3. cdavid

cdavid Member

Toyoguard is a sealant, and it should be reapplied every 3-6 months. Don't go longer than 6 months. Put it on after you wash the car with automotive soap (not dish soap). After you finish up your Toyoguard, step up to a real sealant or wax system. Zaino, one such sealant offers alot of bang for the buck, but there are many others, even inexpensive but quality stuff like Mother's gold class.

Do it right, strip the car with Dawn, check to see if it needs to be clayed, then go from there. There are many web sites explaining how to propertly detail your car from scratch.

4. richard schumacher

richard schumacher shortbus driver

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Lazy person's view: don't bother with any of that. I waxed mine once in its first week, April 2004. Since then I've washed it using only Mr. Clean Autodry with cotton mitts that get laundered after each use. It's new-shiny with no swirls.

5. jeromep

jeromep Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I'm lazy too, but there is nothing easier to wash than a car that has a quality wax job on it. Dirt just slides off with little effort and a little car wash solution.

6. richard schumacher

richard schumacher shortbus driver

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    That's been my experience with Mr. Clean Autodry. No scrubbing required. Maybe that two-year-old Turtle Wax is still working? :->