1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Toyota Acknowledges Design Problems In 2010 Prius Brakes, Modified Models Built After January

Discussion in 'Prius, Hybrid, EV and Alt-Fuel News' started by dammitdex, Feb 4, 2010.

1. dammitdex

dammitdex New Member

Model:
    IV
    As we reported yesterday, and as hundreds of media outlets are reporting today, Toyota has updated the Brake ECU software on 2010 Prius models produced since January 2010. This software update improves upon the Prius braking system where pre-January Prius hybrids might experience a temporary sensation of braking loss at low speeds. This usually occurs while traveling across ice or an uneven surface while applying the brakes. The problem occurs because of the computer handing off braking duties between the regenerative brake system and the physical brake system. If you have a pre-January 2010 Prius (or 2004-2009) and experience this "issue", simply press harder on the brake pedal and continue as you normally would. As soon as we have information about how Toyota is going to handle updating pre-January Prius computer systems, you'll be able to find out right here on PriusChat.

2. MikeDS

MikeDS Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Just saw that....I bought mine 6 months ago, so what do I do?

3. dammitdex

dammitdex New Member

Model:
    IV
    I'm not sure what the official process is. I'm sure there will be an announcement to provide a solution for current owners like you. I'd absolutely contact the dealer and ask questions about what to do, given the latest information.

I'm so glad I didn't buy in last few months. I was hellbent on buying this month, but I just might wait or find a model that was built after January.

4. dammitdex

dammitdex New Member

Model:
    IV
    Another report.

Feb 4, 2010
    Toyota admits flaw in brake, denies it dragged its feet on revealing the problem

Toyota admits flaw in brake

5. Rhino

Rhino New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    I wonder if it is something that can be fixed on my 2010 Prius.

I imagine if it were software or something, then a reprogramming will be sufficient and there can be a recall. If it were something major, like replacing all the tubing or all antilock fluid pumps/bleed valves (I am making this up as an example), it probably is not economically feasible to fix.

I am worried.

6. spwolf

spwolf Senior Member

that just shows how Toyota is honest about issues they have... they could have easily said they improved the feel when braking and switching between regen and braking, as media will now ignore the fact that Prius brakes properly regardless, and will focus just on "Toyota admitting design issue".

Hopefully "Toyota admits design issue" with front console squeaks.

2 people like this.
  7. cossie1600

cossie1600 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Too bad so many Prius were built, could they do a buyback program so I can get a newer one :)

8. dammitdex

dammitdex New Member

Model:
    IV
  9. john1701a

john1701a Prius Guru

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    Your attempt to blow the situation way out of proportion, feeding the hysteria, is a great example for my blog. Thanks! Pushing that "OMG we are going to die" belief is really sad.

We've seen many, many improvements to the design of Prius over the years. Why would you try to convince people that the brakes wouldn't be improved too?

10. GrumpyCabbie

GrumpyCabbie Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
  11. vegasjetskier

vegasjetskier New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Re: The Woz Knows What He's Talking About- Toyota Admits Software To Blame For Prius Problems

I believe Wazniak's problem was with acceleration, not braking.

12. john1701a

john1701a Prius Guru

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    Re: The Woz Knows What He's Talking About- Toyota Admits Software To Blame For Prius Problems

This is your third anti-Prius/Toyota post I've come across this morning. This one is just as misleading too. You've been busy.

If you HOLD the accel-button on the cruise-control as he was doing, rather than the normal push-and-release as intended, it will build up a number of acceleration requests giving the impression of an random event. His cancel of it by tapping the brakes confirmed that the software hadn't failed. In reality, it was an unintended behavior by the user.

Let's try the very same thing on other vehicles to see what happens.

1 person likes this.
  13. dammitdex

dammitdex New Member

Model:
    IV
    Spare us the backpedaling and continued criticism. I know you're not quoting me with 'OMG we are going to die', because I've never written that. Nor am I blowing anything out of proportion. I simply created a thread topic providing links to the latest news about the 2010 Prius. News to fanboys that were dismissing obvious problems and making their own theories up. Yes, I understand that you don't like that.

This isn't a simple 'improvement' or generation upgrade. It's a proven defect. Toyota has admitted it and it's all over the news. You should admit it to yourself as well.

14. Jim Clark

Jim Clark Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV

Wozniak said his problem was with the cruise control. When he would use it to accelerate, occasionally it would accelerate out of control to over 90 mph.

15. gpt

gpt Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Take it easy people. Both groups are right & wrong.

Yes, there is a problem, so the people ignoring / accepting it were wrong. (The Toyota manager accepting it, is enough to prove that)

No, there is no reason to worry about, since Toyota already corrected the issue. So the end of the world is yet to come :D but not because of a Prius.

Check VIN numbers with the correction implemented:
    0124257 or later
    1157314 or later
    5118118 or later

Submitted By Ken1784

Since they know what to do with it, sooner or later all Prius owners will be called to fix it.

Now let's move to another issue, this one is closed thanks to the users reporting it & Toyota finding a solution.

2 people like this.
  16. PaJa

PaJa Senior member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Listen, Toyota is not in the position now to simply refuse this "issue" as a desigh feature. They have to say what they said.

17. grinthock

grinthock New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    I can re-create this on my 2008 GEN II Prius...

This has to be fixed once and for all.

18. hampdenwireless

hampdenwireless Active Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    I am not sure how honest fixing the problem is without telling the current owners of the problem until the media breaks the story first. Honest would be telling the current owners as soon as you know of the problem. Toyota did not do this.

2 people like this.
  19. TalkingMuffin

TalkingMuffin New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    my first comment on this whole thing.

i experienced this problem for the first time last night. noticed the systems switching while slowing down. and you know what? IT WASN'T A BIG DEAL!!! It lasted less than half a second, during which the car simply coasted instead of slowing.

I'm not saying it SHOULD happen, or that it shouldn't be fixed... but this whole hyperventilating act that people have is ridiculous and the media absolutely drives it to make it a bigger story than it is.

6 people like this.
  20. ManualOnly

ManualOnly New Member

Can I call this a software "upgrade" or "hotfix" or a "patch" release ?

1 person likes this.