1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Toyota Dealership inspection cost? (before buying used)

Discussion in 'Dealers & Pricing' started by jharper03, Jun 29, 2014.

1. jharper03

jharper03 New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Do any of you know what an estimate cost would be to take a used 2006 2nd Gen Prius in to get inspected. I have been reading through this forum and I found a couple of topics where it is $1,000+. I would call the dealership and see but it is Sunday and they are closed. I am looking at purchasing a 2006 2nd Gen Prius with 140,000 miles, 3 owners before me and he is asking $6,950. The low price just has me wondering if something is fishy. Carfax and Autocheck is clean. Thank you all.

Josh

2. Patrick Wong

Patrick Wong DIY Enthusiast

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I think you should expect to pay for one to two labor hours. If you live in a high cost area you may need to spend $300; less in areas with lower labor hour pricing.

3. jharper03

jharper03 New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Thank you for the reply. Should I be worried for purchasing a Prius with 140,00 miles? Like I said before, the carfax and autocheck are clean and the private seller has all maintenance records since he has owned it. Is it worth having it looked at by Toyota? Anything they could see that would push me not to buy?

Thank you

Josh

4. Patrick Wong

Patrick Wong DIY Enthusiast

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Unless you are very familiar with the Prius and how it should behave, I would say that an inspection by a competent Prius tech will add value to your vehicle buying process and reduce the uncertainty associated with any used vehicle purchase.

If for example the tech finds logged diagnostic trouble codes that are not active but had been stored at a prior time, that would alert you that the car has an intermittent issue that eventually will turn worse. Or maybe it will just be something simple like the front struts or brakes are worn, etc. I would imagine you would like to know about those issues in advance of purchasing the vehicle.

If you are not already familiar with the service quality provided by your local Toyota dealerships, this is a way to find out how thoroughly the dealer mechanics will perform an inspection. That may be useful data for you to consider when the car needs service in the future.

Good luck with your purchase decision.

5. Epiphany2000

Epiphany2000 Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    I paid $145 for an inspection last December. If you have multiple Toyota dealers in your area, I suggest you call each of them for a quote, as prices vary from dealer to dealer.

I see nothing wrong with buying a Prius with 140k miles provided the car has been well maintained and is in good condition. Do they have the maintenance records available for your review?