1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Toyota maintenance package on 2013?

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Care, Maintenance & Troubleshooting' started by gus6464, Feb 4, 2013.

1. gus6464

gus6464 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Hi everyone,

Just joined after getting my first Prius on Sat, a Winter Gray Two. We decided to opt out for any type of extended warranty as powertrain is 5y/60k and battery since we live in CA is covered for 10/150k. Now the finance guy kept pushing for us to get their "maintenance package" which covers past the 2 year toyota care up to 75k miles but when looking at what it entailed it seemed to be just basic stuff like oil changes, air filters, fluid checks, etc. When my wife asked him how on earth that stuff is worth $1200 he said that they also do software updates and that is a huge cost.

Does that software check really cost that much? I find it hard to believe that people take in their Prii for software updates enough to warrant $1200.

2. Paradox

Paradox Prius Enthusiast / Moderator
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    Moved to the maintenance forum

3. spiderman

spiderman wretched

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Lol, what a rip. Software updates? I would assume he means Nav updates? You have a model Two with no Nav right?

4. JimN

JimN Let the games begin!

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    Pure BS. The maintenance package is a few more oil changes and air filters. The only software upgrades have been recall related. Save your money by just saying no.

5. gus6464

gus6464 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Yeah it's a model Two with no extras. My wife got kinda mad when he kept pushing that maintenance on the Prius is not cheap with all the "high-tech parts" it has. And he meant updates as in software updates to the electronic systems of the car saying that the Prius was basically "a big computer with wheels".

6. spiderman

spiderman wretched

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Almost think he is pushing an extended warranty as opposed to maintained package but who knows. If it is just a maintenance package (i.e. oil, filter, tire rotations, etc) that is a major rip-off. If it is an extended warranty, well that is about the going rate (like the one sold through this site).

7. gus6464

gus6464 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    He said maintenance because they also tried to sell us the extended warranty for $2200.

8. spiderman

spiderman wretched

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    There are on occasions ECU updates like the one for the brake pause issue shortly after the 10s' came out but things like that would be covered because they cover/fix a known issue. Unlikely one would be available to say enhance fuel economy that you might want to pay for.

9. spiderman

spiderman wretched

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    OK, well, in my opinion, that is a rip-off.