1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Toyota model sales order: Camry, Corolla, Prius

Discussion in 'Prius, Hybrid, EV and Alt-Fuel News' started by bwilson4web, Jan 5, 2014.

1. GBC_Texas_Prius

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    I was just in at my Toyota dealer for a free oil change. Walked over to the show room. They had Avalons, a Corolla and a Scion on the show room. No Prius. At first I thought they might be short of Prius and went outside and walked around and found the stock of Prius. My take is that T0yota is pushing the Avalon and Scion. Marketing works. Also, you don't know if the Prius is selling well in other parts of the world or if profit margins aren't as good. Lot's of variable's.

bwilson4web and austingreen like this.
  2. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A

Nissan is doing that with the Rogue Classic which is the 1G Rogue with a lower price and is selling alongside the 2G Rogue that just arrived a few months ago.

Ditto the Infiniti G37 selling alongside the Q50 even though the Q50 was supposed to be its replacement but the G was selling so well that Infiniti decided to keep it going.

Going back even further there's the CityGolf and CityJetta (they may not have been sold in the U.S. but they were in Canada). They were the previous generation Golf and Jetta sold at discount prices (started at Cdn$15k while the updated Golf and Jetta started at $23k)

3. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A

Well the Prius is on its 5th year in the current design so it's expected to decline. There have been a slew of new models such as the Accord Hybrid, Camry & Avalon Hybrid, Fusion/MKZ twins and so forth that are enticing potential Prius buyers. There's always the case of "well the Prius is nice but I like the comfort of my old Accord/Camry/Fusion/Altima/Taurus so I'll give up 5-10mpg to get a car I'm familiar with" and so they end up with a different hybrid.

Toyota will definitely have to something interesting in store for the next generation Prius to make people want to make the jump from a 40mpg Camry or 47mpg Accord to a Prius.

Heck up here, a loaded Camry XLE Hybrid ($34,860) costs less than a Prius v Touring + Tech Package ($37,175) and only a tad more than the Prius Liftback ($34,190). Someone who's never experienced DRCC/PCS may say it's a tradeoff to get a bigger, more comfortable and quieter car than to get a noisier Prius even with cool tech toys like the solar roof and DRCC/PCS.

austingreen likes this.
  4. Sergiospl

Sergiospl Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Toyota's cumulative global production totaled approximately 210 million vehicles.

Cumulative Vehicle Production in Japan Milestones since production of first vehicle(Model G1 truck)
    10 million units/January 1972/36 years, 6 months
    50 million units/January 1986/50 years, 6 months
    100 million units/October 1999/64 years, 3 months
    150 million units/December 2013/78 years, 5 months
    Toyota Cumulative Vehicle Production Passes 150 Million Mark in - Bloomberg

Toyota is the world’s largest auto producer worldwide - Market Business News

5. Sergiospl

Sergiospl Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Two