1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Toyota's new crash-avoidance technology takes control of the wheel

Discussion in 'Prius, Hybrid, EV and Alt-Fuel News' started by cproaudio, Jul 22, 2011.

1. cproaudio

cproaudio Speedlock Overrider

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    Crash-avoidance technology in cars is hardly anything new, of course, but Toyota's gone a bit further than most with its latest effort. While complete details are still a bit light (including any word of an actual rollout to vehicles), the new system is said to use a combination of both front and rear cameras, and millimeter wave radar technology to detect pedestrians or obstacles that could lead to a crash. The real kicker, however, is that when the car does detect a possible collision, it actually takes control of the wheel to avoid it instead of just stopping the vehicle. What's more, that's just one new safety measure that Toyota recently showed off to reporters in Tokyo -- it's also working on things like a pop-up hood that could provide some additional protection in the event of a crash, and a steering wheel that can measure the driver's heartbeat and avoid a crash if they suffer a heart attack.

Toyota's new crash-avoidance technology takes control of the wheel -- Engadget

I wonder if that can be implemented into the advance technology package via software update. It has all the hardware.

2. drash

drash Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Personally I think all this new technology is a precursor to driverless cars. OK I'll be politically correct and divide cars into Technology Autonomous Driver Assisted and Technology Challenged automobiles. This will be great particularly for cities suffering from massive traffic congestion. Computers would completely take over traffic control and probably have slower but much more smoothly flowing patterns. And I can see some cities passing laws demanding this. Everybody will love this right up to the point where someone smashes into the rear of someone else at 60 mph because they forgot to turn it on.

3. cproaudio

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    Volkswagen is working on a temporary auto drive system that works in a freeway speed setting.
    Volkswagen Temporary Auto Pilot brings hands-free driving to the highway -- Engadget
    When I was a kid, I though that in the future we would have flying cars. 30 years, not a dam flying car in sight. I'll settle for auto drive cars for now.
    The auto drive system uses so many sensors and the ECU monitors the sensors multiple times per second. Any change to traffic flow, speed and position and the ECU reacts accordingly. This system is best for when you you have to remove a shirt or a jacket or something that requires you to take your hand off the wheel for a brief moment. It's not meant to take over driving for you.
    As for your concern regarding someone forgot to turn on the system, the system is always on. You have to turn it off. If you turn it off and you get into a crash, then it's your fault.

4. Skoorbmax

Skoorbmax Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Agree this will naturally evolve in time to driverless cars and we'll all be much better off for it.

5. cproaudio

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    It's not driverless car. There's still a driver's seat. The driver has to activate it and supervise it and can override it. Auto drive system monitors the front, the side, the back of the car and the blind spots all at the same time and numerous times a second and react accordingly. Even the best driver can only pay attention to 1 spot at a time. Human reaction is pretty poor compare to a computer. Some auto makers such as Lexus already has attention monitor. I'm sure that will get integrated into the auto drive in the future.

For now, the Toyota's crash-avoidance technology is mimicking a lot of the drivers are doing on the freeway near exit ramps when they have to avoid rear ending the car in front of them. They slam on their brakes and pull to the shoulder. I'm sure this system can be turned off but why would you want to do such thing?