1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Traction Battery slowly going bad

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by kkeane, Apr 22, 2015.

1. kkeane

kkeane Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    II
    My traction battery is slowly going bad (at least, I thing that's the problem I'm having), and I'm debating what to do about it. My Prius is older (2005 Gen II, 300k miles, still the original traction battery).

There seem to be three options, and I'm trying to decide which of these are most cost-effective.

* Have the battery repaired and individual cells replaced. Seems to cost around $700.
    * Have a third-party shop replace the battery with a rebuilt battery using "low mileage" cells.
    * Have Toyota install a new battery. Seems to be around $3000.

I'm assuming a brand-new Toyota battery will likely give me another 300k or so miles.

What is the general experience with rebuilt batteries? Should I expect to get at least another 100k out of that, or is it a matter of luck?

What about replacing individual cells - is this just a quick fix until the next cells die, or would this give me a lasting reliable battery?

In case it matters, here are the symptoms I'm experiencing. No dashboard malfunction lights (yet?) On flat ground, the Prius runs almost normal, but with poor gas mileage. The battery pretty much never reaches the green range, just barely gets there after a trip down a 4000 ft mountain. On even a slight incline, the battery rapidly drains. It also does not charge as quickly as I am used to. I drive between sea level and 4000 feet almost every day. Going up, most of that way, the battery is at a single bar, and the gas engine has to pull the car on its own. I usually can't go faster than about 45 mph.

The problem was more severe in winter; the warm weather seems to have helped a little.

I plan on keeping the Prius for as long as possible, but also try to keep costs down, and am looking for advice on the risk I'd take with the cheaper options.

2. TampaPrius.com

TampaPrius.com Active Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Get the grid charger with discharge ready harness and simple discharger from hybridautomotive.com or priuschat shop and fix it before it fails. You will spend about $500 total including shipping and be able to save and keep your battery going for a long time to come.

kkeane likes this.
  3. kkeane

kkeane Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Are you saying that even such an old battery can be restored to a close-to-new state? I assumed that 300k miles was the natural end-of-life for the batteries. How long should I expect my battery to survive with the aid of the grid charger before it still needs replacement?

In all honesty, I consider myself too much of an amateur to install it.

4. TampaPrius.com

TampaPrius.com Active Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    If you buy a rebuilt battery from a local shop what do you think will happen to your old battery? And where do you think the core for the rebuilt came from originally?

You would always be better off with 28 matching original modules reconditioned with a grid charger and discharger than a rebuilt consisting of who knows what mixed together. Any local shop that offers rebuilt batteries could install the grid charger for you. I'm sure there are members in your area that could assist.

5. kkeane

kkeane Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Yeah, that was one of my worries - that a shop might simply end up selling me another battery with the wear of 300k miles on it. The grid charger sounds almost too good to be true, though.

6. dolj

dolj Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    In all honesty, given the circumstances you've outlined, I would have a new battery installed by Toyota.

Just think of it in the same way you would about having to have your auto transmission overhauled.

kkeane likes this.
  7. alekska

alekska Active Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Your symptoms seem a little different from standard battery degradation. Old battery with low capacity would both charge and discharge very quickly. It might be worth ( for somebody experienced) to open the battery and check the oxidation on connecting bars.
    As for remanufactured batteries, they are just a temporary measure.
    Same about grid charger, IMO. If your battery was at 150k miles, grid charger would be able to help. But at 300k and a price of 1/6 of a brand new battery ..... does not feel economical

Alex

#7 alekska, Apr 22, 2015
    Last edited: Apr 22, 2015
    kkeane likes this.
  8. andrewclaus

andrewclaus Active Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    I had symptoms of increasingly rapid charge and discharge (none of the others you list--I think you might have other problems, too) and started looking into replacement. My solution--I found a guy on Craigslist parting out a wrecked Prius with 60K miles on it. I bought the battery for $800 and pulled it out of the car (takes about 1/2 hour). That was 30K miles ago and it's working great.

Back on Craigslist a few months later, I found someone looking for used Prius batteries and sold my "core", still nominally working, for $300. I was thinking of refurbishing it myself as a "spare," but it was hard to pass up the cash and free up some space on the workbench. So I got an apparently decent battery for a net cost of $500, and the car stayed in service.

kkeane likes this.
  9. kkeane

kkeane Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Yes, I do think I have other problems, as well (in fact, I know of at least two other ones - fender damage from when I got stuck in the snow late last year, and the catalytic converter is also pretty much gone. The engine was also burning oil, but oddly enough that stopped right when the battery problem started). But I think my symptoms being different is easily explained by my unusual driving pattern. Most people don't go from 4000ft down to sea level, and back up to 4000ft, every day.

10. SageBrush

SageBrush Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
    I'm not a fan of the grid chargers because they are expensive for what they are: a good idea but no solid data or warranty to back them up.

You are stuck with expensive options without a DIY component: either trash the car or pay the $3k for a new installed battery. In your shoes I would buy a new battery if the rest of the car looks like it is good for another 50 - 300k miles.

11. Easy Rider 2

Easy Rider 2 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius c
    Model:
    Three
    In all honesty......and especially since you suspect other problems.......I don't think you should nurse this vehicle along any longer.

Regardless of the make and model, they tend to become "money pits" after 10 years and 150K miles or so.
    Is it using any oil ?
    Any signs of coolant leakage ?
    Any looseness in the suspension ?
    Any evidence of impending body rust problems ?

Since you are honest in your assessment of your own capabilities, a good long term fix is likely to end up costing you around $2,000.
    I think that money could be better spent on a new (to you) vehicle.

12. SageBrush

SageBrush Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
    I don't think that is a useful generalization per se, and even less so for the Prius. Your follow-up questions are the way to go.

There is maintenance that comes up in the 100 - 150k mile range, but it would probably also come up in a used vehicle after a year or three of use.

13. Easy Rider 2

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius c
    Model:
    Three
    What generalization would you use for a Prius ?
    200K ?
    300K ?
    ;)

It's a crap shoot and the odds get worse as the time and mileage adds up.

In addition, it sounds to me like he is really just guessing that the HV battery is most of his trouble.
    Spending a hunderd bucks or so on a professional diagnosis and maybe even a second opinion would probably be money well spent.

14. SageBrush

SageBrush Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
    My suggestion is to not generalize.

15. Easy Rider 2

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius c
    Model:
    Three
    So, like many who have responded to this initial question, you favor completely ignoring the age of the vehicle in question when determining the best course of action ???

Sometimes generalizations are useful, sometimes they are not.

16. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Yup. My wife and one of our sons manage to coax me up a local ski hill more often than I'd like. I don't know which is harder on the car, the climb or the descent, but it seems tough on the battery for sure.

17. SageBrush

SageBrush Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
    Pretty much, although I am not talking about extremes.
    Car age would make me think of different things to check but I would not presume life left based on car age.

Similar to tyres ;)

18. JC91006

JC91006 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    300k miles is a lot on a car. I personally wouldn't throw any real money at it and retire it for a new 2015

19. SageBrush

SageBrush Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
    If $3000 is spent on a new battery and it delays the purchase of a different car by 50k miles it cost 6 cents a mile.
    What about the other things that can go wrong, you say ? That is why you think long and hard about the overall condition of the car, and check the common repair/failure points.

20. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    There's 3rd gen thread going: someone's looking at $1700 to replace the gasket on their timing chain cover. Likely the best approach with an expense like that is to just let it drip. But just to illustrate: everything's steep these days.

Tough call though, with 300k miles.