1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Traction Control

Discussion in 'Prius v Main Forum' started by Stevevee, Dec 1, 2013.

1. Stevevee

Stevevee Active Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I was delighted that my Camry SE had a button to turn it off. Snow, hills, ice in the winter. I tested it many times, and consistently got the answer I already knew, the button stays off when I need to go forward.

Funny how I didn't think about that when I bought my v (lowercase v).
    I remember when Toyota had a 4Runner without the button, and those people stuck on ice were furious.

I found this arcane way to disable:
    How to Disable Prius Traction Control
    - CarsDirect

2. kithmo

kithmo Couch Potato

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Step 5 lost me, "turn the ignition switch" there isn't one on the Prius and "without going back to the ready position, to start the engine" AFAIK the engine will only start if in Ready mode
    ???

3. Stevevee

Stevevee Active Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I haven't tried it yet, and maybe won't until someone else does LOL

So far, this car with the new snows appears to have excellent traction. But I've not hit the real nasty stuff yet, like a slight incline of ice or heavier snow. I remember with my Camry SE the button turned out to be a godsend in those conditions.

4. fuzzy1

fuzzy1 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    The article suffers a major omission: to which Prius generation does this method apply? From past threads here in PC (I'll let someone else find the links, as I won't disable TC), GenII and GenIII have different paths to disable TC.

5. fdret44

fdret44 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    The Prius has a very aggressive traction control. First noticed it on my 2004. Because of the electric motor, the Prius has a lot of torque at low speed. If the wheels loose traction (easy to do with the extra torque), the possibility of over speeding the electric motor may cause the motor to "shed parts". The aggressive traction control will prevent that. It can be a problem in snow and ice conditions.

6. Chazz8

Chazz8 Gadget Lover

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    Here is the traction control thread from the last time it reared it's ugly head;
    Disabling traction control | PriusChat

I got the procedure to work but have never had to use it here in snowy Syracuse NY.

Enjoy.

7. mpescatori

mpescatori New Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    A TORSEN differential would have solved the problem without any "collateral damage" ;)