1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

trade in 2010 Prius for PIP?

Discussion in 'Gen 1 Prius Plug-in 2012-2015' started by alfon, May 12, 2012.

1. alfon

alfon Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    I keep seeing all those high mpg figures for the PIP.

We have 71,000 miles on our Prius which my wife
    drives 90% of the time and she has a round trip
    for work about 30 miles with no charging options
    at work.

So the PIP with all tax incentives is about 30,000 or
    so if there was say another 5,000 more int tax incentives
    like the chev volt I would probably make a trade.

Its just that extra 5,000 dollars that holds me back.

Has anyone out there traded their older Prius for
    a new one and how is it working out....

2. janie

janie 2016 Prius 3 Touring

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Three Touring
    I'm extremely happy I traded my 2010 Prius for the plug in. The
    Overall MPGe has been amazing for me - 127 at the moment. I've driven 550 miles and it only she's on the fuel gauge I used 4 gallons. But I must include that I try to plug in whenever I can. So during the work week I drive short trips and long ones on the weekend.

My 2010 was great averaging 47/48 mpg. But the Plug in is fabulous with 127 MPGe:)

1 person likes this.
  3. seilerts

seilerts Battery Curmudgeon

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    If there is no charging option at work, then there is virtually no point in the PiP. Even if there was, it is somewhat an exercise in frustration, because the gas engine would always come on within 2-3 miles of reaching work or home, and in its warmup cycle, fuel efficiency is not optimal. Go with the Volt instead. Let's run the numbers.

Annual work days per year: 240
    Annual work commute miles: 7200
    Commute EV miles: Volt: 7200. PiP: 3000 Gen III: 0
    Commute Gas miles: Volt 0. PiP 4200. Gen III 7200.
    Commute Gas gallons: Volt 0. PiP 84. Gen III 144

The Volt is not a good option if e.g. you take long trips on a regular basis. However, if you do Seaside to Portland on a regular basis, then you'd have no trouble finding a place to charge in Portland, and the Volt would do slightly better than the PiP on the round trip in terms of gas consumption: 90 gas miles at 37 mpg vs. 135 gas miles at 50 mpg, for a 160 mile round trip.

As janie's post shows, you have to work pretty hard to get 100+ mpg. Whereas on voltstats.net, the median user reports 175 mpg.

4. alfon

alfon Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    I am not sold on the VOLT, the Prius has a proven
    track record and I believe it is easier to do self
    maintaince such as oil changes, filter changes etc.

I also like the hatchback of the Prius and the Prius
    can hold 5 people and the Volt I believe only 4 passengers.

5. seilerts

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    I think you have just made a convincing argument to keep the car that you already have. The marginal benefit of a new PiP is very, very low for your situation.

6. Rebound

Rebound Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    You can't cost-justify trading a two year-old vehicle for a new one, unless maybe it were a 17 MPG truck. But trading in America's highest mileage vehicle doesn't leave much room for fuel cost-saving. My reason for trading in my 2010 was to get the commuter lane access, which is important for family reasons.

7. seilerts

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    That's probably the best reason for an existing Prius owner to trade in for a PiP.

I would suggest that alfon look at the Leaf as well, but it won't quite make it to Portland.

8. alfon

alfon Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    The Leaf is not even an option, were a good 80 miles from
    Portland. If there was an electric car that had a 500 mile
    range and could be charged in 5 minutes or so that
    would work.

Infact, if such a car was available the oil industry
    would not be too happy.

9. flim

flim Active Member

Vehicle:
    2023 Prius Prime
    Model:
    XSE Premium
    Mine was actually a 3 year old 2010 Prius purchased in 2009.

I averaged 52 MPG on the 2010 and with the PIP historically I am at 80 MPG with approx 2,300 miles. My ratio is 70% HV and 30% EV

I drive only .05 mile to my office so there's really no commute but I accumulate all the other miles running errands, seeing clients and have to access the freeways and of course the carpool lane.:)

10. andrew13

andrew13 New Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    if i were you i'd look for a conversion kit, i plan on doing that once my warranty is off of mine

11. Rebound

Rebound Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    I'm obviously not saying you shouldn't get a Plug-in. I love mine! I recommend it. My only point is that, no, you won't save money by trading in your two year-old Prius for a Plug-in. But you should do it anyway.

12. seilerts

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Right now, state of the art is 300 mile range (Tesla Model S) -or- 10 minute charge (Leaf + CHAdeMO). Give it 2-3 more years and you'll be closer to your wish.

But seriously, since the Volt is a very close match to having an all-electric daily driver for your wife, it at least deserves a test drive. It is one of the most unfairly maligned cars on the road right now.

13. john1701a

john1701a Prius Guru

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    The unfortunate reality of having allowed the hype to get out of hand is showing its ugly face now. Just imagine how different things could have been if expectations were better managed prior to rollout. To make matters worse, those who warned about that all along are now belittled for even just suggesting that such a thing ever happened.

It makes constructive discussion difficult, for Volt anyway. Choices like upgrading from a regular Prius to a plug-in are still a challenge though.

I like to point out that the kWh of electricity are used regardless of speed or distance. Your travel will improve from the plug. How much varies quite a bit depending upon circumstance. But there is a still less gas being consumed.

As time goes on, the choice will become easier... especially once the tax-credits expire. Reports of real-world MPG help a lot too. For now though, good luck with the decision.

14. drinnovation

drinnovation EREV for EVER!

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I think you are a bit out of touch if you think the early marketing estimates, or as you call it, hype, has anything to do with the wide-spread malignant of the Volt. It became a political punching bag for reasons that had nothing do do with he actual car or its performance. For many it became a symbol of obama's administration (though it was started/designed before him) and for others it was the Bailout and the tax-credits (which again were really bus). There was political angles as well as various conservatives groups that hate GM all bashing GM with the Volt as the easy target. They may have used some of the differences from early statements o final product,or of the potential risk of a fire weeks after a crash, but that was not the reason, that was just the attack vector.

Only recently has the political bashing started to subside, largely, I think, because its a great car and because it became clear the attacks were not going to stop it. That, plus a few republicans that really get the importance of the car, have started to stem the tide of negative media.

:focus:

But for the OP, buying a PiP would not make much financial sense. But a car purchase rarely is. You should dirve a PiP and a volt and see what you like.

15. john1701a

john1701a Prius Guru

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    Avoiding the recent political rhetoric by focusing on business & consumer need is out touch? I call that staying focused.

16. janie

janie 2016 Prius 3 Touring

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Three Touring
    Alfon-
    We can give you our personal opinions but the decision is ultimately up to you. If you feel led to, make a List of what's important to you. That was what ultimately helped me to make my decision.

I traded my 2010 in and got much less than I should have gotten (probably should have sold it myself). But for me there is just something about seeing the great gas mileage on the plug in Prius that makes my heart sing. So even though it may have not been the wisest economical choice, I sure am happy with my decision to trade in the 2010 I had for the new plug in Prius :)

Btw I am a bit fanatical about trying to get excellent MPGe, so much so that on my long journey of 50 miles to get home tonight, I stopped off at a free charging station along the journey, and I will get home very late tonight because of this stop.

1 person likes this.
  17. alfon

alfon Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    I just like the idea of an electric powered car. Lets face
    it you can make your own electricity from solar, wind, etc.

I would imagine if you are building a new home in the
    proper location for perhaps $20,000 or so you can have
    enough electricity, with solar and/or wind, that you could use it and still
    sell the surplus electricity to the power company. So instead of getting a bill you get a check from the power company.

Just think part of that electricity could power your car...

18. drinnovation

drinnovation EREV for EVER!

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A

If you want an electric car, you should definately test drive a BEV (leaf) and an EREV (Volt) as well as the PiP. in a BEV or EREV you can use only or mostly electricity. Pips can use some, but are still majority gas. You can read more at mynissianleaf.com and gm-volt.com

An in oregon you can probably just choose to by hydro/wind/solar no matter where you live.