1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Trade in my 2010 P3 for a 2012?

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Main Forum' started by Prius_for_me, Apr 8, 2012.

1. Prius_for_me

Prius_for_me Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    My 2010 has 32000 miles on it. I usually keep my cars in pristine condition, but this one got some scratches on the inside and some big scratches on the front and rear bumpers that bug me, but I love the car/color in every other way. For some illogical reason I want a new P3. :confused: I have gotten some really good info here about how to get the best deal possible for the new one and the trade-in, but is this just a stupid, crazy idea?

2. Munpot42

Munpot42 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Yes, but don't let that stop you. However,repainting both bumpers should cost about a grand, which is chicken feed compared to what you are thinking about spending. :D

1 person likes this.
  3. Prius_for_me

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    I thought about doing that. Does anyone know if one can take their car to Carmax and have them recondition it like they would if they bought it from you and they were going to resell it?

4. cwerdna

cwerdna Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    I don't know why you would either. Even though there are some notable improvements on the 2012 model, it's basically the same car since '12 was a mid-cycle refresh. What's the reason? Is there some feature missing on yours? Don't like the color? Like the styling or equipment changes on the '12? Just want a new car? Something else?

You prepared to eat the depreciation from what everyone says is the time in which a car loses a large part of its value, the first 2-3 years, then pay for another? You'll again go through the losing a large part of its value again? Take a look at http://www.consumerreports.org/cro/...y-costs-to-own-owner-costs-drop-over-time.htm.

I'm still driving my 06 with >63K miles and haven't traded up to any Gen 3. I probably won't switch until Gen 4 comes out, whenever that is.

1 person likes this.
  5. massparanoia

massparanoia Active Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Yeah for about 2 grand you can get brand new bumpers put on. I just had the front one on my 2011 replaced because it got hit 3 weeks after I bought it and the bill was just under 1000. And that was for a new oem repainted bumper not for repainting the existing one. Carmax isn't going to recon the car for you, and even if they did they would probaby just sub it out and mark it up anyway. Find a good body shop in your area and get an estimate.

1 person likes this.
  6. Erikon

Erikon Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    The 2012 doesn't offer much you don't already have, and it's more expensive. Get the bumpers repainted and have it professionally detailed inside and out, it'll look good as new! Maybe even replace the nav and head unit with a better aftermarket unit t give you some new toys to enjoy if you're bored!;)

1 person likes this.
  7. p00kienrayray

p00kienrayray Active Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Don't let impulsiveness get the best of you. Unless you get a miraculous deal on your trade in, just save the time, money, and effort on making your current prius more lovable.

1 person likes this.
  8. MattPersman

MattPersman Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    you can probably get good trade in $ on your 2010. if you have the money to spend and this is what you want to do, just go ahead and do it. if you shouldn't buy new cars when you want, then we would all be driving old 4 cylinder cars we have had for 20+ years

having a place pull your bumper, fix it and repaint it is not a ton of money. don't let a parking lot repair guy do it, the paint will not last. let a body shop do it

1 person likes this.
  9. chuck2002

chuck2002 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    1 visit to the stealership should cure your want for a tradeup. They will see a sucker and take full advantage.

If you need to have the latest and greatest and without too much money out of your pocket, consider this route:
    Trade in your car for a leased prius. Toyota has a strange 39 month leasing term. This is what I did. I traded in a 2009 Accord for a 2012 Prius. It was also a dumb move money-wise for me, but I didn't lay the 7 grand in equity I had in the Accord on the lease. I pocketed the 7 grand difference and my car payment went from 250 a month to 350 a month.
    I will keep or hand in the Prius at the end of the lease.
    I drive few miles though, so this is a viable option for me. Many people might not be in the same position.

10. mmcdonal

mmcdonal Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    I would get the 2012 if I were getting the Plus package, and the HUD. I guess I will wait for the Avalon to become a hybrid. </shaking fist at Toyota for not announcing it with the redesign>

11. p00kienrayray

p00kienrayray Active Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    OP, this is about the only thing that makes sense in your situation. Trade up for a Prius that has more features than your current one, like leather, sunroof, nav, etc. But the money that you'll probably lose from trading and higher insurance/registration costs can be used to add these features with the exception of the sunroof.

1 person likes this.
  12. Prius_for_me

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    Thank you so much everyone for all of the good advice and information. I just needed a hit in the head. I will just recondition my car so I'm not so bugged by the imperfections and I think this will be the car that I drive until the wheels fall off! I love it that much!

13. 32kcolors

32kcolors Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    There's actually not much price difference between refinishing the bumper and a whole new bumper (it was $100 in my case from being rear-ended twice). If you are so inclined, you can maybe get the refreshed 2012 front bumper cover retrofitted for a nominal cost over refinishing the existing bumper (unless there's some underlying cost-prohibitive structural change to make this retrofitting possible).

14. stream

stream Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    That's what I would also do. You'll already taken the depreciation haircut on your existing car, and it's not like the 2012 is a new gen.

15. markrivers

markrivers Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2020 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Limited
    You forgot to mention some vital information on your original post..OR i completely missed it.

1. Are you still paying for your 2010 Prius 3?
    2. Why not go "all in" if you're trading.. Prius 4 or 5?
    3. If you're spending money now to recondition those bumpers.. and then a few months down the road you finally decided to do a trade.. you will have wasted that money.:(

I think you should consider leasing as well.:)

16. Erikon

Erikon Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    In two or three years the gen 4 will be out, that's when we can contemplate if trading up is worth it. Till then, fixing minor damage and keeping the car in nice condition is good for the soul as well as improving future trade in value!

17. BlizzardJ

BlizzardJ New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I thought about doing the same thing too since I like almost everything about the 2012 over the 2010 except the taillights.

In February I went over to CarMax out of curiosity and they offered me $16,000 for my II w/ 30,000 miles. I then searched for cars that they were selling similar to mines, they all ranged from $19,500-$20,500 so I think CarMax looks to "flip" $4K on each car they take in and decide to sell themselves.