1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Traded for a 12 Prius...interesting about the mud guards

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Accessories and Modifications' started by pauln64, Apr 12, 2012.

1. pauln64

pauln64 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Just traded the 11 for a 12 Prius. Part of the negotiations was to have mud guards installed for free. I thought that it would be just your standard black mud guards. After the salesman talked to the parts department, they said that the 12's will come with a color matched mud guards and will have to be ordered. Cool with that. Got a call yesterday said that he got a call from Toyota. They have to send out a representative for the sole purpose of installing the mud guards for the 12's and that no service department is "allowed" to do them yet. Not that I care who does it as long as it's done. I just thought it was funny.

2. tach18k

tach18k Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Hmm, my 2012 mdl II didnt come with mud guards, nor did they offer them.

3. pauln64

pauln64 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    no they don't come with them. On the 11's they were a dealer installed option. I got mine for free since it was negotiated in the deal.

4. ny_rob

ny_rob Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Sounds like dealer FUD...

The fronts are simply- remove two bolts and one plastic rivet then reverse the procedure.

The rears require one bolt removal and two holes (self tapping screws will do the job) to be made in plastic.

Hardly specialized work....

5. pauln64

pauln64 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I thought it would be a simple procedure. I'm sure the dealership would rather do it themselves but this is directly from Toyota. Unless they like doing this more difficult, I'm sure they have their reasons for doing it this way.

6. p00kienrayray

p00kienrayray Active Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    May I ask why you traded an '11 for a '12? Up the trim level?

7. movingforward

movingforward Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Ya me too...I purposely bought the 11 before the 12 came because I didn't like how toyota rewire the DRL to be in the 11 fog lamp area and the high beam is pretty much useless. I live in the city so very rarely use the high beam and having it as DRL is makes sense to me. And the fog lamp position is better IMO on the 2011. Other than that the front fascia is totally bad nice person for the 2012.

8. The Electric Me

The Electric Me Go Speed Go!

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I'd be curious as to why it's taking a special representative to install mud guards.

I'd at least ask.

It cost's money to send representative out...for the sole purpose of installing a mud guard.

That proclamation would at least make me curious as to why.

I mean, even with a pretty complicated recall, the usual protocal is to release a bulletin and let Toyota Technicians at the dealerships handle the work.

You need a "special representative" to install a mud guard?

Something doesn't sound right to me.