Welcome to Our Community

Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.

Transmission (P) lock message

Discussion in 'Gen II Prius Fuel Economy' started by howdi, Aug 29, 2012.

Social Buttons

1. howdi

howdi New Member

Your Vehicle Year:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Occasionally, when I try to start my 2005 Prius (196K mi), it does not start, and on the screen I get this message:
    "Transmission (P) lock mechanism is erratic. Park vehicle on level surface and fully engage parking brake." The dashboard lights go on, but there is no square around the "P".
    Since I am usually parked on a level surface, and can't start the car to change its position, I keep pressing the start button. After trying for 10 - 20 minutes, the control panel shuts off, and then the next time I press the start button, it starts and I can drive with no problem.
    Sometimes this happens when I have left the dome light on for 15 minutes or so. I have original batteries. Might this be a battery problem?
  2. dhanson865

dhanson865 Expert and Devil's advocate

Your Vehicle Year:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    PriusCamper likes this.
  3. richard schumacher

richard schumacher shortbus driver

Your Vehicle Year:
    2004 Prius
    Model: