1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Two Different Tire Sets Can Cause MPG Problems?

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by Juan Vinton, Oct 19, 2013.

1. Juan Vinton

Juan Vinton Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Hello All,

I am new to this forum and I have a question that I wonder if anyone else can provide perspective. First, I would like to say that I love this forum and I find myself coming to the site everyday to get new tips on my Prius. It's nice to have a wealth of knowledge so easily accessible.

I currently have two different sets of tires on my 2008 Prius.

Front:
    Goodyear Integrity
    P185/65R-15
    Around 28,000 miles on them but the tread is 4/32's and is recommended for replacement.

Rear:
    Kumho Ecowing KH30
    P185/65R-15
    13,000 Miles and it great shape. l

I purchased both at Discount Tire and the Integrity's are under warranty so I will receive a discount for replacing them early. I am considering just replacing the front with the Kumho's again to keep all the tires the same. But a friend( and a few threads on this site) recommend getting the Bridgestone Ecoplus EP422 instead. The price is similar on both so that is not the issue.

Is it better to have all the tires the same? Will it affect MPG's? The ride? etc. Or does it not matter as long as both tires are close in mileage use and are well-taken care of?

Thanks for any comments you are willing to provide. For perspective, I am a pretty normal driver. I try to hyper-mile when I can and I currently get around 45-48mpg's as it stands. I put around 10,000 miles per year and I live in Tucson, AZ which is fairly dry in climate. We have a rainy season, but it is generally a short-lived affair.

2. HaroldW

HaroldW Active Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    I don't think it would make a difference as long as you are running LRR brands. Most folks that own a Prius are sensible behind the wheel so I don't believe handling will be a issue! I do it all the time, that way you only have to shell out for two and not four. Sorta spreads out the budget. H

3. Juan Vinton

Juan Vinton Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Thanks for this. I am inclined to believe so as well. I think I am still going to get the Ecopia EP422's.

4. HaroldW

HaroldW Active Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Excellent choice!!! :)H