1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Two-footed driver vs. Prius computer

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Technical Discussion' started by FarmGeek, Oct 25, 2006.

1. FarmGeek

FarmGeek New Member

My wife and I were driving to work discussing her recent lunch with her brother who wanted a ride in our Prius. She had him drive as that is the best way to experience the Prius. Based on his comments since, I bet he buys one.

Anyway, the discussion turned to other drivers in our families and we started wondering what would happen if one of the two footed drivers (one foot on the gas, the other on the brake) drove of Prius.

What does the computer do when you're braking and accellerating at the same time?

Wondering of if any one else has contemplated this?

2. Tadashi

Tadashi Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    My wife's grandfather does that. :p I think the only thing that would happen would be a lower MPG. The brakes would not wear out as fast as if this was done in a non-Prius. That and your brake lights would alway be on.

3. TonyPSchaefer

TonyPSchaefer Your Friendly Moderator
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    You have to understand that the Prius is entirely "drive-by-wire" meaning that the steering wheel and pedals are not mechanically connected to anything. Rather, you turn or push the device and the computer decides what the best course for action is at that time.

Therefore, there are some things that the computer will not allow you to do. One of these is to press on the brake and the gas at the same time. That's just silly and the Prius knows it. Someone mentioned it a while back so I took Priapus to a nearby parking lot and tested it.

So what I'm saying is that if the two-footed driver is accustomed to having both at least somewhat pressed at the same time - for whatever reason - the car will shut off the gas and apply only the brake.

4. narf

narf Active Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Four Touring
    Left foot braking is a good thing on the track, but really not a good idea on the street. Most people who left foot brake will end up lightly resting their foot on the brake pedal when they are driving and slightly drag the brake. I think that even on the Prius you will end up wasting energy by doing this.

The other problem with this is the constantly glowing brake lights. Whoever is behind the driver will never know when they are stopping because the brake lights are alway on or always flashing on and off.

5. galaxee

galaxee mostly benevolent

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(TonyPSchaefer @ Oct 25 2006, 11:11 AM) [snapback]337984[/snapback]</div>
    there is still a mechanical connection from the steering wheel to the wheels, we're not quite that advanced yet ;)

6. David Beale

David Beale Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    I drive that way. Brake with the left foot when driving autos. I don't press both pedals at the same time. I do have a brain for heavens sake. ;) I had no problems on both my Prius test drives. Braking with the left foot can reduce reaction time a bit, and can be the difference between "tapping" the car ahead and not hitting it in an emergency stop. You do have to train yourself to use the "dead pedal" (whether you have one or not) to rest the left foot, of course.

Years of driving manuals trained me. You don't ride the clutch when driving a manual do you?

7. Allannde

Allannde Just a Senior

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(David Beale @ Oct 25 2006, 07:15 AM) [snapback]338033[/snapback]</div>
    I drive that way, also. I second everything you say!

I am aware of two collisions that I DIDN'T have as a result. There may have been more. I am able to "get on" the brakes very quickly which is comforting.

8. hyo silver

hyo silver Awaaaaay

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I used to keep my heel on the gas, my toe on the brake, my left foot on the clutch, my left hand on the wheel, my right hand on the shifter, one eye on the road, and one eye on the rear view mirror looking for pretty lights. Maybe I'm just showing my age, but this fly by wire stuff is much easier to drive. :)

9. VinceDee

VinceDee Member

I also drive with two feet, and my perfect driving record speaks for itself. I trained myself to drive that way deliberately. I find that it's much safer because I can brake instantly, if necessary. And I have no idea why you would assume that it means "two footers" ride the brakes. I sure don't, and I use the deadpedal to rest my foot when not in heavy traffic situations. I've seen plenty of "one footers" who ride the brakes...that's just plain old bad driving and has nothing to do with how many feet you use to drive with.

Go ahead and try it some time. It feels odd at first, but you get used to it. The most important thing is that you will discover that you have instant use of the brake.

Vince

10. Proco

Proco Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Just curious ... how is moving your left foot from the dead pedal to the brake faster than moving your right from the gas to the brake? I've never done 2-footed driving, so I have no opinion on which is "better".

11. SaintStephen

SaintStephen New Member

It's interesting how many ex or current racers have been attracted to the Prius. I've been a left footed braker ever since my short stint in Nascar. It doesn't transfer over to AMA racing, or maybe it does?

ss

12. VinceDee

VinceDee Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Proco @ Oct 25 2006, 10:57 AM) [snapback]338089[/snapback]</div>
    I only have my left foot resting on the dead pedal when there is no traffic in front of me or other potential braking situations. Otherwise, I keep my left foot poised over the brake pedal, much as you would with your right foot in a potential braking situation.

Vince

13. David Beale

David Beale Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    If any of you who don't use two feet decide to try, be careful at first. It's very easy to "overbrake". You have to train your left foot to "be gentle". Overbraking will not cause serious problems, except for your significant other in the car. They will be furious with you for scaring them! ;)

I usually rest my left heal on the floor and hover over the pedal when in traffic. Like last week, centre lane of three, light turns green, lady in front of me takes off and half way through the intersection decides she needs to be in the right lane (who knows why - no turns were possible) and stops! I actually triggered the anti-lock on dry road on the anti-Prius! First time. Stopped 10" from her bumper. Guy behind me luckly didn't take off as fast as we did, but was mad until he saw it was her. A little head shaking and everyone went on our way. :) I thought it was my own fault for "following too close", but I wasn't yet "following", just getting going.

Anyway, got to always watch out for the "nuts on the road", including the one behind your own wheel.

14. FarmGeek

FarmGeek New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(TonyPSchaefer @ Oct 25 2006, 11:11 AM) [snapback]337984[/snapback]</div>

I tried this after reading your post. The gas will not work if the brake is pressed and you are stopped.

If you are moving, the brake and gas still work, just against each other. Pressed both at the same time.

Doesn't that screw with the computer and what it tries to learn from your driving habits? It took several months and about 9000 miles before our Prius really stabilized and the reaction to pushing the gas or brakes became consistent, including using the cruise.

I just can't see where the computer(s) can figure out what is really wanted if the driver is asking for conflicting actions.

15. NuShrike

NuShrike Active Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    I started left-braking because it eased some hip issues I was having with the left-leg doing nothing for an hour on so on a drive. Then, when I started driving the Prius, it was a fairly easy transition when you have the left-foot trained for appropriate control and gentleness during braking, especially on the Prius. Sure helps on braking reaction because the brake pedal is always "covered" during stop-n-go and such.

Then again, I started writing with my left hand because it had nothing to do too, left-hand mousing because shoulder would otherwise complain, etc...

FarmGeek: you could press the gas pedal all the way in when you have the brake pressed. Then the engine will rev and do nothing more than charge the battery.

16. priusenvious

priusenvious New Member

Hi folks!
    My first post here, so forgive me for any transgressions.
    Regarding two footed driving. Way back when I was transporting cars fpr a living, I learned that driving with two feet made parking easier as well as reducing my response time while driving. I dont rest my left foot on the brake pedal and I well aware of the additional wear and tear, not to mention negative effect that would have on my mileage. By the way, i've owned my Prius for a little over 4 months now and absolutely love it. I have an old Porsche 911sc targa in the garage and sold my BMW X5 4.4 to buy the prius.
    Incidentally, if you hold the brake down and floor the gas pedal, it can help you accellerate much quicker, but obviously takes its toll mechanically as well as in fuel efficiency.
    thanks.

17. qbee42

qbee42 My other car is a boat

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(hyo silver @ Oct 25 2006, 01:42 PM) [snapback]338079[/snapback]</div>
    I kept both toes on the brakes all the time, but that was with an airplane. :p I've also kept both feet on the brakes with old farm tractors.

Tom

18. chimohio

chimohio New Member

I learned to drive on a manual the same time I learned to drive an automatic, and since you need the left foot for the clutch, well you sorta have to use the right foot on the brake.
    I tried two footed driving a while back with a different car and never felt comfortable with it.

19. Alnilam

Alnilam The One in the Middle

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(hyo silver @ Oct 25 2006, 10:42 AM) [snapback]338079[/snapback]</div>
    I keep my shoulder to the wheel, my back to the wall, my nose to the grindstone and my ear to the ground. I'm starting to feel stiff all over though......

20. dandude505

dandude505 New Member

I drive only stick shift cars, then my prius. Of late, I have been driving my prius a lot more, and the manuals less. There was a period of time when I used both feet, but I found that I couldnt commit to anything while driving so many different cars. Frankly, i am not worried about my reflexes, and I try not to put myself into situations where I need to brake EXTREMELY quickly...