1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Unstable steering

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Care, Maintenance & Troubleshooting' started by srivenkat, Oct 23, 2014.

1. srivenkat

srivenkat Active Member

Vehicle:
    2021 Prius Prime
    Model:
    XLE
    Folks,

One issue I have always had with my Prius is that I can NOT find a steering position that will keep the car going straight even at city speeds such as 30 MPH. Once I set it to what I think is the center position and hold it there, the car will initially start going straight but then starts slowly going to either left or right over a few seconds time. I then give the steering an ever light input to try to center it and then it starts moving in the other direction over a few seconds time. I go over this process again and again. This is of course much more perceptible on the highway but the important thing to note is that it happens at city speeds as well (not just on the highway).

I did have the dealer look at it when I first noticed it when I bought the car used but after an alignment adjustment, the dealer simply blamed it on road crown.

I would like to again look into this fixed based on what others may have done over the years to fix this kind of an issue.

Thanks in advance.

#1 srivenkat, Oct 23, 2014
    Last edited: Oct 23, 2014
  2. srivenkat

srivenkat Active Member

Vehicle:
    2021 Prius Prime
    Model:
    XLE
    I should also add that the dealer did (claim to) do zero-calibration after the alignment adjustment.

3. xliderider

xliderider Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    It's a built-in "feature" that keeps you on your toes, or engaged in the driving process. ;) :D

SCH-I535

WilDavis and GrumpyCabbie like this.
  4. Former Member 68813

Former Member 68813 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Sounds abnormal to me, or at least I haven't noticed that feature.

GrumpyCabbie likes this.
  5. Tande

Tande Active Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Yes....this has been discussed, not sure how to find the "Thread"......we (wife & I) each have a "Gen.III" ......one does this, the other, not......the one that wanders also has "Stiff" steering; takes more effort to turn the steering wheel from center......it really is a PITA to drive.....the other is a pleasure......FWIW

6. srivenkat

srivenkat Active Member

Vehicle:
    2021 Prius Prime
    Model:
    XLE
    Yes, mine also has a "stiffer" steering when compared to say my 2007 Camry Hybrid. Considering the steering is electric, does this point to the steering sensors being out of calibration? Has anyone with a similar issue fixed the issue by getting their sensors recalibrated and if so what are those specific sensors?

Tande: is the problem Prius manufactured earlier than the other one?

7. Tande

Tande Active Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I would say yes.....both "2010" but the "Problem/Child" was purchased approx. 10 mo. before the other......(I am not educated on how to read the mfg. date).....

8. nicoj36

nicoj36 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Same with mine, even after countless of wheel alignments. It's like a hit and miss when you buy a Prius.. Lol

9. lester williams

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    My 2014 did the same thing, I even started a thread here about it. A lot of my problem was the Yokohama S33 factory tire--- someone pointed this out. I then ordered a set of 16'' Konig wheels and 215-55-16'' Michelin Premier tires, that helped a lot. Still not satisfied with being blown around somewhat on interstate I installed a TRD sway bay[ rear ] and that also helped some. I then added Cusco front and middle body braces and finally a Cusco STB to complete the package. It is now very stable and solid, I can justify the expense of this as I plan to keep this one for a while. A big improvement might be new tires-- I have no idea of the current ones now.

10. srivenkat

srivenkat Active Member

Vehicle:
    2021 Prius Prime
    Model:
    XLE
    Thanks for the replied. The highway wander is a well known issue for many Prii. What I have on hand is one that "wanders" even at low city speeds where wind and some of the other factors don't have much influence. I feel like my steering doesn't know "center" although when centered it does "generally" go straight with continual minute adjustments.

Lester: did you have the issue at city speeds as well?

11. lester williams

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Yes, somewhat, especially on ''rutted'' highway. It was especially bad going through Montgomery, Ala on vacation last summer. After complaining about it here--- I was advised that the S33s were really bad to follow ''truck ruts''. The 1'' larger diameter, wider tires helped considerably.

12. DaneH5

DaneH5 Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Is road flat and level? Correct toe in is important

13. Tande

Tande Active Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    II
    FWIW....in my case (post #5), I'm convinced the "Stiff" steering interferes with the car's steering geometry "Self/Centering" ability......by the time you input enough effort to make a micro/steering/correction, it is "Too/Much", & now you have to correct for the correction.......repeat & then repeat again......my wife's Gen.III does not require this "Chase/Your/Tail" method of trying to keep it between the ditches! .......

14. srivenkat

srivenkat Active Member

Vehicle:
    2021 Prius Prime
    Model:
    XLE
    Did you try pursuing it with the dealer since you have a reference Prius? I remember reading somewhere in the past that there are various sensors in the steering system such as a torque sensor, etc. Perhaps that is the culprit? I think someone like you that has a reference car is really in the best position to go after this issue with the dealer. If we know exactly what the fix is that will make your problem car behave like the good one, I think many of us will try the same fix.

15. DaneH5

DaneH5 Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Is your wife's the same year? If not are they the same generation? Wouldn't think there would be a difference if so.

16. lester williams

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    No, ''truck rutted'' road is not ''flat and level''--- and, the car would ''follow'' the indentions/wallows make by numerous trucks. I understand that 18 wheelers are a ''necessary evil'', but the weight of them tears/wears road surfaces slam out. With the junky-nice person Yokohama tires the car would ''wander'' all around.

17. Tande

Tande Active Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Yes......again, please see post #5.......

18. Tande

Tande Active Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Thanks for your suggestions....... you may have some valid points.......at first I blamed it on the different tire "Brands" between the two cars......I now think that was foolish/thinking......to late now; to old & out of warranty ......

19. DaneH5

DaneH5 Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Has the car always behaved this way? Any front end work ever done? Compare toe-in of your wife's and your car to see if different.

20. Tande

Tande Active Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Yes & No......Thanks