1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Upgrade to 17" wheels and tires

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Accessories and Modifications' started by joeb24, Jan 5, 2010.

1. joeb24

joeb24 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    I bought a Gen III Prius IV a couple of weeks ago and am thinking of upgrading to 17" wheels and tires. Question: Will handling improve, or is the better handling of the Prius V with 17" wheels due to a stiffer suspension on the V? Also, will I have to install new TPMS sensors on the new wheels, or can the sensors on the present 15" wheels be used on the new 17" wheels? These sensors seems very expensive. Can anyone recommend websites, other than TireRack, that sell !7" wheel and tire combinations for 2010 Prius?

Thanks!

2. Creaky

Creaky Still motorin...

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Congrats on the recent purchase.

I was in your shoes a few months ago myself. I ended up buying my 17's from TireRack, but I also looked at DiscountTire and any other online vendor I could find at the time.

Going with 17's did improve the handling of the car, expecially in taking on/off ramps, the car feels as if it's not running at the limit anylonger. Although body-roll is still present, it's manageable. To address that, we'll need larger anti-roll bars. But of course, because of the lower profiles of the 17" tires, the ride will be firmer, feeling more of the surface irregularities than you would with your 15's.

From what I understand, the suspensions between the IV and the V aren't different. The steering turning ratio and steering wheel speed is the only difference between the two as the motors used differ between models. Because I haven't driven a V, I can't make any comparisons for you.

You can take your TPMS wheel sensors off of the 15's and transfer them to your new 17's. That'll definitely save you a bundle.

Hope this helps answer your immediate concerns.

3. joeb24

joeb24 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Thanks very much for the input. Which wheels and tires did you get from TireRack? So an installer will transfer the TPMS sensors from the 15" wheels to the 17" wheels, right? And a Toyota dealer will have to adjust the speedometer for the larger wheels, right?

4. austingreen

austingreen Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    N/A
    A few of us have the motegi sp10 which are light weight at a good price. I bought them from tire rack, then bought continental extremecontact dws 205/50R17 from discount tire that charged me $30 for rebuild kits to move my tpms sensors from my 15" wheels. The new tires are very close to the same size of the yokohamas. Most people upgrade to the same size as on the V 215/45R17 which are slightly smaller than the stock 15", but your speedometer should read at most 1mph fast. Tire rack has revolutions per mile on their site for comparisons.

1 person likes this.
  5. joeb24

joeb24 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Thanks very much.

6. GreenClipper

GreenClipper Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Congrats on your Prius! I've had mine for about 5 weeks, had this idea myself when I first got mine, a IV. I don't know what you can get a set of wheels for from these "aftermarkets", but I found a set of original Toyota V, 17" wheels at auction on Ebay, (didn't buy them, maybe should have). I think they ended up selling for over $700, had no tpms valve stems on them. You might keep watching on Ebay, as there are people, dealerships as well, for customers, who buy the V's and then want aftermarkets on the car. I think I've decided to buy the center caps for the 15" wheels and go that route. I really want the "mud guards", but want some that can be painted in my Barcelona Red, to match the cars color. :D

7. kurtvote

kurtvote New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    I shopped around and ended up using Tire Rack The TPMS sensors from factory 15" wheels can be used on your new 17" wheels. I chose 215/45R-17 Bridgestone Potenza G 019 Grid XL tires (50,000 mile treadlife warranty) and 17X7.5 Elbrus I02 SDC Ice wheels. Great handling. So far, loss of only 1-2 mpg.

Attached Files:

1 person likes this.
  8. 32kcolors

32kcolors Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    Nice rims, and the 1-2 mpg hit is about equivalent to the stock 17" on the V.

1 person likes this.
  9. risingsun

risingsun seeker of the way

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    kurtvote, those came out great! I love the stock 17's, but I think those just might be even nicer-looking. Good job!

1 person likes this.
  10. ScottG10

ScottG10 Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    They really do look nice - not over the top. They look like they could have come that way. Did you notice any difference in ride or noise?

11. GreenGuy33

GreenGuy33 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Maybe upgrade to 17" brake pads instead?:D just kidding.

12. Much More Better

Much More Better Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Nice rims Kurtvote.