1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Used 2002 Prius accidental shifting

Discussion in 'Newbie Forum' started by primuspaul, Mar 24, 2014.

1. primuspaul

primuspaul Member

Vehicle:
    2002 Prius
    Model:
    I
    I have a used 2002 prius (classic). Apparently, there was a problem with it where the key could not be removed from the ignition. According to the dealer, a switch in the ignition column broke. To fix it, they took it apart and removed the broken switch. Car drives fine now, but there is one difference: it can now shift from park into drive without pressing the brake pedal OR pressing the shifter button. From what I understand, this is not normal operation.

Looks like I need to replace the steering column to fix this, but I was wondering if I could avoid it. My main concern was accidentally shifting into reverse or worse, park, while doing 40 or 50 mph. If I did that accidentally, would it break the transmission or otherwise damage the car?

My other concern is about changing or not changing the transmission fluid. An oil/lube place told me that this car's transmission fluid was for life and that changing it was not necessary and could adversely affect the car. True or not?

2. Mr Incredible

Mr Incredible Chance favors the prepared mind.

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    Four
    There is much info on changing transmission fluid on this site. You will find it in the maintenance forum for your particular model. It will be mainly of two types: 1) OMG! Never change it early!, and 2) Change it at 20k, 30k, or 60k miles. Those that changed it early are nice people and have a reason for doing it. They showed how and gave their reasoning for doing the change early. Lifetime fill? I don't think so. If you never change it, it will be guaranteed it will last the life of your trans. I'd take it to another shop, or learn how to do it yourself. I'd also run everything that shop says through my BS filter from now until you quit using them.

As for the steering column, if it isn't a safety issue with the column you might still drive it. If you are concerned about the safetly lockouts not locking out you can either learn to pay attention better and live with it or you can change the steering column.

Welcome to the forum!

3. primuspaul

primuspaul Member

Vehicle:
    2002 Prius
    Model:
    I
    Thanks for the response. I went to a Toyota dealer and they recommended changing the fluid. I saw on the paperwork that they used Type IV, so at least the put in the right fluid.

Regarding the steering column, what happens if the shifter is put into park while driving? Transmission death?

4. haole man

haole man Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    If you try to put into park while driving, it goes to neutral and beeps to tell you you're being silly.

5. primuspaul

primuspaul Member

Vehicle:
    2002 Prius
    Model:
    I
    Is this really true? I do remember reading about this feature in the Prius II and later, but does it also work like that in the Prius Classic (2002)?

6. primuspaul

primuspaul Member

Vehicle:
    2002 Prius
    Model:
    I
    Also, is there a way to find out if my battery is going bad? What are some symptoms?

7. primuspaul

primuspaul Member

Vehicle:
    2002 Prius
    Model:
    I
    So again, just curious if anyone can confirm that with the classic prius (2002).