1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Vais SLI-UP iphone integration on Gen III Prius 3+ w/o Nav

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Accessories and Modifications' started by megaloman, Oct 6, 2011.

1. megaloman

megaloman New Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    I haven't found a good thread detailing how to integrate iphone into GenIII prius 3-5 (with bluetooth and JBL, but no Nav). This thread explains the solution I chose and how to install it, and reviews its functionality.

I went off to investigate the Vais SL2i-UP product. On their website, it isn't quite clear how well it supports the GenIII JBL no Nav option. After a few emails with a technical representative at Vais (Eugene, a very helpful guy) I decided to buy it. It was about $170 at sonicelectronix.com.

After a few days of use, I would say it meets all of my expectations. I think the price point is good. So I recommend it.

Before opening up the dash, I read the guide at http: //priuschat.com/forums/gen-iii-2010-prius-audio-electronics/73884-2010-toyota-prius-model-ii-head-unit-upgrade.html (sorry about the malformed link -- this site won't even let me link to itself since I'm a newbie). The guide doesn't read like native English, but don't let that discourage you.

Parts list. In addition to the Vais product, you need:
    • headlamp
    • ratchet w/10mm socket plus 6" extension
    • about 8" of velcro tape
    • optionally some zipties and/or tape to secure things you leave behind the dash so they don't rattle

Installation is roughly like this:
    1. Access back of head unit
    2. Hook up SLi2-UP cables and attach box somewhere you can access during boot-up
    3. Reassemble dash
    4. Boot-up

Details:
    1. Access head unit: Getting into the dash took about 5 minutes. It involves popping off four pieces of plastic and unplugging the cables. Then cover the shift knob with a floor mat from back seat since the head unit has sharp edges. Then remove the head unit using the 10mm socket.
    2. Hook up unit: The SL2i-UP was simple to install, just attach all the pieces as shown in the manual and plug into the empty socket in the back of the head unit. There is a small box with some circuitry that I velcroed and zip-tied to the metal underneath the shifter knob so that I can still reach the dip switches needed for programming during the first power-up. (I wish I had taken a photo of that, but I think you can find the spot yourself.) I also taped the bulk of the cables down so they don't rattle.
    3. Reassemble dash: Then I shoved the ipod cable through a hole under the driver dash and around to the center console. (This the only thing I need to do better -- I need to find a better place to route this.) After you like where the cable is routed, bolt the head unit back in, snap 3 of the 4 dash pieces back in place while attaching their respective cables.
    4. Boot-up: You are going to configure the device as described in the manual for CD emulation mode, so familiarize yourself with the dip settings. Leave the shifter molding off while you boot (but still attach cables) so you can access the dip switches. You have to set the dip switches, turn on car, wait for beeps, set dip switches again, wait for beeps, then turn off car. Then you can snap the last piece of plastic back on.

Functionality you get is roughly in two categories. CD-emulation mode and simple mode. In both cases, you simply cycle through the modes of the head unit until you get to CD1 mode. That is your ipod. In both cases, the steering wheel controls work to flip between songs in your list. To switch between CD-emulation and Simple modes, you push the SCAN button 8 times really fast until it beeps.
    1. "CD-emulation mode" makes the ipod appear to be a CD player. You plug in your phone, and the head unit starts playback automatically. The TEXT button changes display to show the song name. Random works like you expect. Since the CD readout is limited to two digits of track number, you just see the last 2 digits of the track. (I think the in-order playback is limited to the first 89 tracks in a playlist?) To change playlists: Hit SCAN twice to get into disc scan mode, then use the left/right arrows to pick your playlist. Then SCAN again to leave disc scan mode. In this mode, you CANNOT interact with the ipod app on your phone.
    2. "Simple mode" makes the ipod simply respond to the steering controls, but everything else is manual. So you plug in your phone, pick your playlist and random playback on the phone, push play on the phone, then put it down somewhere and use the steering wheel arrows to skip songs. You have to push play anytime you start the car, interrupt power, etc. There is no text display.

I find myself using the "simple mode" because changing playlists is faster on the phone than messing with buttons on the head unit. And I don't really care about the TEXT display.

In both cases, the bluetooth voice still works as expected - an incoming or outgoing phone call stops the iphone playback. In CD-emulation mode, it also tells the head unit to stop CD playback, and after the phone call, it starts the current song from the beginning. Whereas the simple mode assumes the iphone will resume the music automatically.

Pandora? Somewhat. If you are in either mode above, you can switch to pandora and push play. It will simply stop the ipod and start playing pandora over your speakers. The steering wheel controls will NOT work.

Well, there's my review. If you have any questions, I will try to answer them.

1 person likes this.
  2. dpalbsp

dpalbsp Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three

Thanks for the info. I also got 2011 Prius Pkg3 with JBL w/o Nav 2 weeks back and want to add this iPod adapter. Where do you keep the SLI2-UP unit, does it remain out-side the console and where do you keep your iPod? Will it be possible to put a picture?

Thanks,

DPal.