1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Vehicle Proximity Notification System (VPNS)

Discussion in 'Prius c Accessories and Modifications' started by Oldwolf, Jun 7, 2012.

1. Oldwolf

Oldwolf Prius Enthusiast

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Four
    From inside the car and when the EV indicator is on I can here a pronounced electric motor whine which I think is probably the VPNS. It sounds pretty cool and very "Hybridy". :)

But when I realized it is a fake sound, and likely just the VPNS, it immediately lost its neatness. I don't think I want it operating anymore.

I found the VPNS speaker on the right side of the engine compartment, right inline with the steering wheel.

Has anyone disconnected the speaker yet? Any problems?

2. Iconn127

Iconn127 Master Diagnostic Technician

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    Four
    disconnecting will stop it from happening, only thing is it has now become a federal law pertaining to any electric vehicles for safety reasons and will result in a very nice fine. i can pull the new vehicle code pertaining to it if you would like

3. ftl

ftl Explicator

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    Three
    Here's the legislation. It was signed January 4th, 2011, but I don't believe there's a rule in place to require compliance yet.

"The Secretary shall promulgate the required motor vehicle safety standard pursuant to this subsection not later than 36 months after the date of enactment of this Act."

That would be by January 4th, 2014.

"Phase-in Required- The motor vehicle safety standard prescribed pursuant to subsection (a) of this section shall establish a phase-in period for compliance, as determined by the Secretary, and shall require full compliance with the required motor vehicle safety standard for motor vehicles manufactured on or after September 1st of the calendar year that begins 3 years after the date on which the final rule is issued."

This would be later still, so it looks like any compliance by manufacturers at the moment is strictly voluntary.

4. Oldwolf

Oldwolf Prius Enthusiast

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Four
    Okay, maybe I can put some duct tape over the speaker opening then!

5. SquallLHeart

SquallLHeart The Techie Guy

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    Two
    i disconnected mine a long time ago.. no problems...

well.. no additional problems.. pedestrian stupidity doesn't really change with or without the VPNS operating.

6. ftl

ftl Explicator

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    Three
    I wonder if anyone posting here has a blind friend?

I was discussing the VPNS yesterday evening with a friend who is legally blind - he can just about read a computer screen from a few inches away as long as he blows the type up to a very large font - and he told me his biggest problem in an urban setting is with drivers pulling out of parking lots, across the sidewalk, and into the street (not supermarket lots, the ones between two buildings in a typical downtown). Many drivers don't look very carefully for pedestrians, and without some audible indication of their presence he'd have no way of even knowing they were there.

ewaboy likes this.
  7. F8L

F8L Protecting Habitat & AG Lands

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
  8. Paradox

Paradox Prius Enthusiast / Moderator
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five

Sad part is too many pedestrians who have the use of their eyesight are in their own world and all too often don't even bother to look anymore. Sadly, around here, they feel entitled and just walk out without a care in the world... A VPNS system, while it can help those people with sight disorders, can't help stupid.

cornflakes likes this.
  9. Ashley7

Ashley7 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2019 Prius
    Model:
    XLE
    Right...and why isn't helping just those with sight issues enough of a reason to have it? People can do what they want to their cars, but I don't think we should be so flippant about helping people who benefit most from it.

ewaboy likes this.
  10. Paradox

Paradox Prius Enthusiast / Moderator
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    I am not disagreeing with you. I don't mind the VPNS, I could take it or leave it but since it was included with the car I'll just be leaving it. What I meant is what I said, it can't help stupid, which are the morons we unfortunately have to deal with in society today such as those who blatantly walk out into traffic as if they are entitled to just go without even giving a glance to see if people are coming.

F8L likes this.
  11. Oldwolf

Oldwolf Prius Enthusiast

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Four
    I found the connector that powers the speaker but of course it is to hard to get to with my big hands. If I knew what the connectors are (part #) I could wire in a patch with a switch for an ON and OFF feature.

12. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    if one pays attention to pedestrians and drives carefully in parking lots, etc., it is easy not to hit anyone with your near silent vehicle. i have managed it for 8 years without even a close call.

13. SquallLHeart

SquallLHeart The Techie Guy

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    Two
    as a reminder, the VPNS does turn off if you go above 15mph... so just another factor to throw in your thought process as to what effectiveness it'll be when you're traveling above that speed and a pedestrian is involved.

yea.. at that point.. the VPNS is useless.

14. secondspassed

secondspassed Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    Three
    Any chance of getting you to snap a photo? I looked yesterday but couldn't locate the damn thing.

15. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Have you ever been walking, and been suprised by a car? All the sermonizing about inattentive pedestrians aside, it does happen. You don't have eyes in the back of your head, and life is never perfect. And a hybrid rolling on it's electric motor alone, dead silent, is no help.

I'd say the noise maker is a minor irritant with a lot of potential benefit. Just for starters, it might allow you to avoid sticking your head out the window to mouth a silly "excuse me" to a pedestrian ambling down a parking lot lane.

16. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    there is a thread or two here with pics. you can search and find them. it is located in the lower left front fender, below and behind the headlite. you'll see a funny shaped black plastic object with a large white wire connector plug. if you have small hands and thin arms, you can reach down and unplug the connector by squeezing the side clamp and pulling. or you can remove the lower fender panel and it's right in front of you. or you can just snip the wires with a pair of diag. cutters.

SurfersPrius likes this.
  17. jgestar

jgestar Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    Two
    I'm not opposed to a VPNS, but I don't like the sound(s) that Toyota chose. The unit doesn't sound like an automobile. As many have said elsewhere, it sounds like a Jetson's aircar. As a pedestrian I would not associate that sound with anything as threatening as a moving vehicle.

I think the VPNS is the black, round unit behind the cable in the photo below. The plug is alongside the support bracket on the left side of the unit, not visible in this photo.

Tom

[​IMG]

SurfersPrius likes this.
  18. Oldwolf

Oldwolf Prius Enthusiast

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Four
  19. jgestar

jgestar Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    Two
    The Silent but Potentially Deadly article drew its information from an earlier condescending article, which drew from a detailed Slate article, which drew from an actual 2011 National Highway Traffic and Safety Administration study. The NHTSA study is a well done statistical analysis of traffic accident data from the last decade. Unfortunately, statistical analyses are rarely entertaining. Perhaps we can forgive the reporters for missing the most important study conclusion:

"The largest difference between the incidence rates of HE versus ICE vehicles in this study occurred in low-speed passenger vehicle maneuvers: those in which a vehicle is turning, slowing or stopping, backing up, or entering or leaving a parking space... ...the odds of an HE vehicle being involved in a [low-speed] pedestrian crash was 1.66 times the odds of an ICE vehicle being involved in a similar crash." (page 19)

In short, hybrid vehicles maneuvering at less than 35 mph were more likely to hit a pedestrian than ICE vehicles. Above 35 mph, or while traveling straight at less than 35 mph, hybrid and ICE vehicles were equally likely to hit a pedestrian. The study also showed increased risk to bicyclists from hybrids in a wide variety of traffic conditions.

Congress has voted and surprisingly the statistics back them up. It appears the noisemakers are here to stay.

Tom

ftl likes this.
  20. Rebound

Rebound Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Here are the photos that show how to easily disconnect it.

First remove this Philips screw:
    [​IMG]

Gently pop off this rivet with a screwdriver:
    [​IMG]

Now you can bend this cover down and access the noisemaker:
    [​IMG]

And when you look inside, the white connector is what you want to disconnect. Those two bolts hold the noisemaker in, but you don't need to remove it.
    [​IMG]

Dylan Murphy, Salvalus and bisco like this.