1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Very low MPG across two states (38-40 MPG)

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Fuel Economy' started by KyleSTL, Feb 3, 2014.

1. KyleSTL

KyleSTL Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Just got back to Missouri in the first multi-state trip in my new Prius (first brand-new car, and first hybrid I've owned). Driving through Illinois and Indiana with their 70 MPH speed limit allowed me to set the cruise control between 75-78 MPH and cruise almost the entire way with almost no traffic to slow me down. Car has 1200 miles on the odometer and is completely stock factory (no mods, changes, etc). I use regular grade gas (not plus or premium), and the total weigh of occupants and luggage during the trip was ~450 lbs.

Is this fuel economy to be expected at these speeds? Was the bad mileage caused by the winter temperatures and/or climate control settings? Should I not expect to get good mileage on a journey like this until 10000 miles, as other threads have indicated?

My daily commute in/around St Louis usually yields about 45 MPG computer (short trips usually 8-15 miles, 50/50 mix of city/highway) even with the extremely low temperatures we have had recently.

Questionaire filled out based on this one trip

- What fuel economy are you getting and how are you determining fuel economy? (trip computer or manual calculations)
    38-40 MPG, trip computer (reset at each fillup), I can check the calculated MPG if necessary as I record ever fillup

- What fuel economy are you expecting and why?
    In the 40's at least, as the EPA rating is 50 and I'm sure they do not test at the speeds I was traveling

- What are the approximate outside air temps?
    Starting in Ohio was ~32°F, arriving in St Louis was 24°F

- How long are your trips?
    Approximately 360 miles total, refill in Terre Haute, IN (half way)

- How old is your 12v battery? What is the voltage reading of your 12v battery after sitting over night? (Method Here)
    Brand new (2013 Prius Three, purchased 1/13/14, ~1200 miles on odometer at the end of the trip)

- Have you had your alignment checked? Any pulling or abnormal tire wear?
    No, car is brand new

- How much of it is city vs. highway? Roughly what's the average speed in overall and and of each segment? Is there a lot of stop and go driving?
    100% highway (I-275 to I-74, I-465 around Indianapolis, I-70 from Indy to St Louis)

- What's the terrain like of your drives? (e.g. flat, gentle hills, steep hills, etc.)
    Flat midwestern highway

- What are your tire pressures?
    40 PSI front, 34 PSI rear

- Is your oil overfilled? (i.e. above the full mark on the dipstick)
    Have not checked it

- Make, model, year, engine and transmission of previous car? (e.g. 08 Honda Civic Si 2.0L 4 cylinder, manual transmission) What did you actually get on the same trips/commute? (Please give us actual numbers, not EPA ratings.)
    Volvo V50 T5 FWD Automatic 5-speed geartronic. Usually between 28 and 32 MPG (computer), or 27 to 31 MPG (calc).

- What region/state are you in? (if you haven't set your location)
    Live in St Louis, MO, USA.

- How are you trying to drive (e.g. trying to stay in electric only?) and how hard are you braking?
    Cruise control was set at 75-78 MPH most of the time, 63 MPH in 55 zones.

- What modes are you using, if any? "normal", EV, power, eco?
    ECO mode, almost the entire journey

- Are you "warming up" the ICE (internal combustion engine) by letting it idle after powering on?
    No

- Are you driving using D or B mode?
    D mode

- HVAC settings? Are you using the heater, AC, auto mode, etc.? If using auto, what temp is it set to?
    Auto (68-70°F), AC only turned on when windows got foggy, recirculating most of the time

- Are you using the factory tires and wheels? If not, please indicate tire make, model and size (e.g. Goodyear Assurance Fuel Max 185/65R15).
    Yes

- If reporting a mileage drop, did anything significant change on your car (e.g. accident, hit a curb or big pothole throwing off alignment, oil change/other maintenance/repairs, changed tires or wheels, etc.) or your commute?
    None

2. fuzzy1

fuzzy1 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    For 78 mph, that is about what to expect. See this post:
    Updated MPG vs MPH chart

The EPA highway label is 48 mpg, not 50. The average testing speed is closer 48 mph (a legacy from the start of the National 55 MPH speed limit era), though the label is heavily discounted from the actual dyno test. Prius achieved just over 70 mpg on that test, before the EPA labeling fudge factors were applied. There are numerous posts pointing to articles with much more detail of the EPA tests.

The cold weather hurts, that can partially be addressed by grill blocking. Any wind (even crosswind) or moisture on the road would also hurt.

Your mpg will improve slightly as the tires break in, but not by enough to make up for your surprise.

kenoarto likes this.
  3. vskid3

vskid3 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    On a trip a couple months ago, I got 39MPG in my 2005 doing 75-77MPH with cruise and many hills. I have the bottom grille blocked and 51PSI in the LRR tires. You're getting about what you should at those speeds. Winter gas is hurting you a bit. Climate control settings and temp probably didn't hurt too much because you only had to warm up a few times.

4. KyleSTL

KyleSTL Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Yeah, I did see that chart, my observed MPG does seem to be in that ballpark. I was also reading through some other recent threads (like the one titled "38 mpg on trip from la to miami in a 2010 prius iv 107k miles") and thought that maybe it's not unreasonable to expect mileage in the 40's given better weather conditions (clearly LA, Miami and everything in between are warmer than Ohio, Indiana or Illinois this time of year).

It also got me wondering where the crossover point is with a car like the Prius and another car with a more powerful drivetrain like the Top Gear Prius vs. M3 test (in which the Prius drove full throttle through the course, and the M3 simply followed behind at the exact same speed). Take for instance the Mercedes Benz CLA250 with its 208 HP 2.0L Turbo I-4 engine, similar weight to the Prius (3262 lbs) and similar Cd (0.28). It's EPA numbers are 26 city/30 combined/38 highway (granted at the EPA speed of ~55MPH as stated). At what constant speed would the Merc be more efficient than the Prius, given it's more potent engine (80? 90? near the Prius's top speed?). I know most of the advantage in the TG test was during acceleration (since the Prius was at full-throttle, and the M3 required a light squeeze), but there must be some point at steady state that the Prius would consume more fuel in such a test.

I think I'll wait a few months as the weather warms and see how my mileage is affected. Thanks for your input. Glad to be part of this community now.

5. fuzzy1

fuzzy1 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Was the M3 drafting the Prius to save fuel?

It isn't clear to me that there has to be any crossover point, unless they are deliberately flogging one to unnecessarily force its mpg down.

6. vskid3

vskid3 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    The Prius is more aerodynamic, its going to use less fuel when cruising until you hit the speed limiter. Speed doesn't have much to do with the mileage during the Top Gear test, its more the pretty much constant acceleration or braking. The BMW didn't even have to try to keep up with the Prius, but the Prius was being flogged. If you put them side by side with the cruise set at the same speed, the Prius would use less gas. The BMW will likely lose mileage at least as fast as the Prius as you increase speed.

7. KyleSTL

KyleSTL Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    That is exactly what they did, the test itself was very unscientific, but the Prius did use more gas during the test going the exact same speed, and since it was a road course, I would say that draft had little to do with the outcome, and the real culprit was the fact that the Prius was at a very inefficient output level (full throttle) and the M3 could easily keep up with less throttle input. Search "Prius M3" on YouTube and it should be one of the top hits.

Good point, since the Prius has slightly lower weight and slightly better Cd, it should be more efficient until it's top speed, but we know very little about the Prius engine efficiency near full throttle, maybe its engine is less efficient at 134 HP output than another, larger engine at the same 134 HP. The thermal efficiency of the GenIII engine is 38.5%, but obviously that is not a constant value from idle to redline.

EDIT: actually it looks like there are some folks who have analyzed the power of the engine compared I the fuel input. I'm curious, so I'm going to research more.

8. JC91006

JC91006 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I just did a trip from Los Angeles to Vegas and got about 38mpg going low to mid 70s the whole way. The section with the hills, the car got mileage in the teens. It seemed unusually low but there were lots of long Hills to climb.

SM-N900P ?

9. miscrms

miscrms Plug Envious Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    What you are primarily looking at is Physics, which will hold equally true for all engines/vehicles. If weight and CdA are the same, then the amount of mechanical force required to maintain a given speed will be the same. The difference in fuel consumption is then simply a function of how efficiently a given engine / drive line can convert the chemical energy released by igniting gasoline vapor into that mechanical force. Every engine has its own unique efficiency characteristics at different loads/speeds, which can be mapped in a chart that looks something like these, comparing the efficiency of the Gen 2 to Gen 3 Prius engines:

[​IMG]

The contours plot out the engine efficiency in grams of fuel consumed per kWh of mechanical energy converted at that load/speed. On these plots the contour scale is I believe in steps of 10g/kWh so on the right plot for the Gen 3 engine the dark spot top left is the <220g/kWh region, and above the bottom-most contour would be the <260g/kWh region. From other versions of this plot I believe the Torque marks on the left equate to about 40Nm to 150Nm? On this plot its helpful that the constant power lines have been added, as well as the dark line that represents the Priuses "standard" operating line. IE if you "ask for" 40kW worth of power by pressing on the gas pedal, the controllers will try to set the rpm of the ICE and electric motors to the point on the contour where the standard operating line intersects the 40kW constant power line.

Playing with the numbers on the EV calculator, I'm estimating the Prius requires about 57hp (42.5kW) to maintain 90mph on a flat. Extrapolating from the data on the graph, I'm guessing this will still be around 230g/kWh efficiency.

Below is a similar BSFC contour which I believe is a 1.8L Mercedes Turbo.
    [​IMG]

The data is presented similarly, with the g/kWh efficiency contours overlaid with constant power lines. What we don't have is the top gear rpm vs speed curve. Based on the assumption above that the car with this engine has identical weight and CdA, it would also require 42.5kW at 90mph. Depending on what rpm this corresponds to at 90mph efficiency should be somewhere between 250 (2500rpm) and 300 (4250 rpm) g/kWh.

So at least for the case in question, the Prius still wins at 90mph. Driving faster kills fuel economy on all cars, the Prius just a bit less so due to its good CdA and unusually broad efficiency contours. Its not until you get it way out in the corners (like with the M3 track test) where it might be beat by more powerful engines, but these are well outside any kind of normal driving conditions.

The other worthy challenger is the small diesel, who like the Prius Atkinson cycle engine have an inherent efficiency advantage due to the design of the engine. From this curve, you can see that the 1999 VW TDI could certainly give the Prius engine a run for its money at certain sustained operating conditions. Depending on rpm, this engine could produce the same 57hp at between 200 and 250g/kWh depending on the final rpm at 90mph. On the other hand, diesel fuel also has about 10% more carbon/btu energy per gram which negates some of the difference but certainly not all.
    [​IMG]

Sorry, what was the question ;)

10. walter Lee

walter Lee Hypermiling Padawan

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    KyleSTL:
    1. If you can deal with the stiffer ride
    To increase fuel efficiency increase tire pressure from 40/34 to 44/40.
    2. Double check make sure oil level is correct.
    3. To get better fuel efficiency drive at a lower speed
    set change cruise control from 75-78 mph to 65-70mph and drive in the slow lane.
    For super highway driving - (Time shift)schedule your trip around rush-hour when thesuperhighway has less traffic. When there is less traffic people are more tolerant
    of slower vehicles.
    4. Change ECO to Power mode. Power mode makes your ICE more responsive at hi speeds.
    5. At any time while the Prius is in motion are any of the window open for ventilation?
    Keep your windows closed while driving at high speeds to reduce aerodynamic drag.

6. How much cargo are you carrying in the rear? Avoid carrying too much cargo

7. Note that a Prius can only achieve its rated fuel efficiency if its engines are fully warmed up and that the initial cost of warming up the Prius means that to get the Prius to achieve the epa rating in good weather (no rain, +65 F degrees) most of the Prius' trips must last longer than 35 minutes and 8 mile. An Engine block heater (EBH) can be use to prewarm up the Prius' ICE to increase its fuel efficiency.

8. Top Gear is automotive entertainment and their test are fake. Top Gear's Clarkson hates alternative energy vehicles ( a 2nd gen Prius was destroyed with explosives on a Top Gear episode just to accent Clarkson's hatred). Top Gear also has fabricated test results for the Tesla and the Leaf (but Nissan telemetry caught Clarkson cheating). The Prius v M3 test involves a bit of trickery. Top Gear decreased the Prius Fuel efficiency on the racing track by pushing the ICE very hard into a curves to a dangerous speed to automatically engages the Prius Vehicle Stability Control which automatically slowed down the Prius to a safe speed while also lowers the Prius' Fuel efficiency.The Prius is a commuter car with a high center of gravity but it can't take curves at speeds as high as a BMW M3 which has a lower center of gravity . To pad the results, Top Gear also tried drafting the BMW M3 behind the Prius' Slipstream to get a bit more fuel efficiency albeit the increase in fuel efficiency wasn't that good because the Top Gear drivers are going too fast around Top Gear's test track.

If you drive a Prius at 90 mph - its fuel efficiency drops signficantly but it will still beat the M3 in fuel efficiency in the real world and in a fair test. Why? Because the Prius is using an Atkinson cycle engine which is more energy efficient than the M3's Otto cycle engine.

In the future, for +70 mph vehicles with +50 mpg fuel efficiency will morph into something akin to the VW single and double seat prototype vehicles - which from the outside looks like a thinner and more streamlined version of the 1999 Honda Insight.

hope this helps

Walter

11. KyleSTL

KyleSTL Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Thanks for the input walter.

1. Not willing to compromise ride quality or safety with a higher pressure, so I'll live with what I'm running now.
    2. I'll double-check the oil level, the dealership I bought the car from did over-inflate the LF tire to 50 PSI when I bought the car, so I wouldn't put it past them.
    3. I might back it off a few MPH next trip. The extra half hour of drive time might be worth the 10-15% better FE.
    4. I didn't realize that ECO mode might not be the best on long highway drives.
    5. Windows were closed the entire time.
    6. Occupants (2), dog and luggage for the weekend totaled about 450 lbs
    7. I was only concerned about the mileage for this trip, I realize my commute is too short to get peak mileage (especially on cold days), but the best fuel savings are the miles you don't drive. I don't have a garage, so an EBH is out of the question.
    8. I realize the lack of scientific method with the Top Gear test, and the obvious bias in the show's premise. I was just wondering if other non-hybrid engines on the market are able to sustain a given engine output using less fuel (discounting diesel, because of its inherently higher volumetric energy density).

You state that an Atkinson cycle is more efficient than an Otto cycle, but is that true for all RPMs and sustain power output levels?

miscrms, thanks for sharing the BSFC charts and information. Very interesting stuff. The Mercedes Benz engine you shared was the supercharged C200 and SLK200 engine from 2003-2008. This specific car was not available in the US, but it's slightly more powerful stablemates were (C230 and SLK230). The highway EPA ratings for these cars are 27-29 MPG, so the C200 and SLK200 can be assumed to get 28-32 MPG highway. Since the new CLA250 has a much more powerful engine (208 HP vs. 141 HP) and a much better highway MPG (38 vs. ~32), I would imagine that its BSFC curve is very different (especially considering the engine was designed over a decade more recently). I would be interested in seeing an MPG vs. MPH chart like Bob Wilson made for other gasoline non-hybrid cars with respectable mileage ratings (Ford Fiesta SFE, Corolla LE Eco, Chevy Cruze Eco, Mazda 3 2.0L, Mazda 6 w/ i-ELOOP, Dodge Dart Aero, Nissan Versa CVT, Mercedes Benz CLA250), although I'm sure these things do not exist out there on the web.

12. fuzzy1

fuzzy1 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Much of the MPG difference is likely to come from gear ratio changes, not merely BFSC improvements. For a very long time, American-market cars have been geared for performance, at the expense of fuel economy. But recently this focus has been changing rapidly.

13. KyleSTL

KyleSTL Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Excellent point, transmissions with discrete gears certainly have a disadvantage as far as efficiency is concerned, since the engine RPM will be determined by the gear ratio and speed, not by the most efficient point on the curve. CVTs and 7- and 8-speed automatics have definitely had an impact on mileage in recent years (along with regenerative braking, reduction in accessory belts, redesigned electrical systems like brakes, power steering and AC compressors).

14. miscrms

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    I believe this is quite true. Making significant changes to the BSFC characteristics is hard, but changing the gearing to move around on the same chart is fairly easy. Its worth noting that ICEs in general are most efficient when fairly heavily loaded and at low rpms, in all the curves above peak efficiency occurs near max torque. A more powerful engine in the same vehicle will generally run more lightly loaded relative to its max output at a given cruising speed, unless it is also re-geared to push rpms down and engine torque up. So in general there is not an inherent advantage in cruising efficiency to a more powerful engine until you start talking about very high speeds that require high sustained output power and/or talking about underpowered engines being pushed well beyond their peak efficiency power. Its also worth remembering that better thermodynamic efficiency does not inherently equal better fuel economy. It takes more energy to move a vehicle of a given weight and with a given aerodynamic drag a given distance at a higher rate of speed than it does at a lower rate of speed. So even if an engine is running more efficiently at higher speed (load) it is doing more work and likely consuming more fuel than if it was run less efficiently at a lower speed. That's not always true, but generally so within certain bounds and particularly for steady state cruising at highway speeds.

You can kind of see it from the plots above, part of what is special about the Prius Atkinson cycle engine is not only that its peak efficiency is high, but that the peak region is very broad vs. rpm and load. Combine that with the Prius controllers ability to vary gearing to more or less follow the most efficient possible path through the bsfc contour for any given typical load and you have a pretty uniquely efficient drive system under a fairly wide range of typical driving conditions. The electric drive system compliments the Atkinson cycle engine particularly well, as the big downside to that engine design is pretty abysmal low end torque. This is exactly where the electric motor shines, making the ICE much more usable/acceptable. So even though its the engine design that makes the difference at sustained highway speeds, its still the electric drive system that makes using that engine much more feasible in the real world.

breakfast likes this.
  15. wxman

wxman Active Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Diesel fuel has about 10% more carbon/energy per unit volume, but gasoline actually has slightly more per unit mass (gram is a mass unit).

Brake specific fuel consumption - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

16. walter Lee

walter Lee Hypermiling Padawan

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    KyleSTL;

4. PWR mode allows for a more responsive throttle which is necessary when going uphill and downhill and on a superhighway when the engine is almost always on. Cruise Control bypasses the PWR/normal/ECO throttle mode controls so if you are using Cruise Control it doesn't matter what mode you are using.

8. You can purchase vehicles which use a non-hybrid conventional gas engine (Otto cycle) that can get better MPG than a Prius - but it will be a smaller engine on a much lighter vehicle, i.e. motorcycle or a scooter.
    You can verify this by going to Fuelly.com and look at the MPG ratings for Motorcycles. The Progressive X MPG winner -the Edison2 VLC- gets better fuel efficiency than the Prius but it never got to market [1].

An Atkinson cycle engine has almost the same energy efficiency in its power stroke as a diesel engine. Every internal combustion engine has a RPM range sweet point where it rus most efficiently. The sweet range of an Otto cycle engine is usually narrow at about 400 RPM (e.g. 1400 RPM to 1800 RPM) because the *burn* period is shorter in an Otto cycles - this is by design so that an Otto cycles engines can produce a significant amount of power in a very short time and give great acceleration and quick application of torque. As miscrms points out the sweet range of the Prius' Atkinson cycle RPM range is much wider, e.g. for a Prius it can be as low as 900 RPM and as high as 2200 RPM - but Atkinson cycle engine's longer power stroke means it takes time for it to accelerate and provide torque - hence, for the same displacement as an Otto cycle engine it takes much more time for the Prius ICE to produce same power. To offset this characteristic, the Toyota Prius uses two electric motor to provide better acceleration. The new 2nd generation Honda Accord Hybrid goes even a step further by using a much larger (displacement) Atkinson cycle engine than the 1st generation Honda Accord Hybrid. Diesels engines like the ones used by Mercedes and Volkswagen have poor acceleration characteristics - to offset this Mercedes and VW augment their diesel engines with turbo chargers and sophisticated fuel injectors to help boost accelerations. The complaint that I've heard in the past is turbo charger are not always reliable and that car shops often charge more to fix turbo charged engines than non turbo charged engines. Not sure if that's true today though.

I agree with fuzzy1 that many of the new vehicles with higher Highway MPG EPA ratings are using more sophisticated transmission to get there. However, it isn't exactly number of gears or whether one has a CVT but how high a transmission gear ratio can go. However, the problem with high gear ratios is that the higher it is the less useful it becomes.

The real world MPG boosting technology for hybrids is the stop start idle technology. Because almost every day my car is stuck in a traffic jam - it is really fantastic that my Prius will automatically turn its ICE off and save gas while its sitting there stuck in traffic. If I had gotten a BMW M3, it would be running its ICE that whole time while it was sitting there stuck in traffic getting 0 MPG. It's not that conventional gas cars can't benefit from stop start idle technology - its just most of them don't have it. From what I understand because of the higher CAFE standards - car makers are going to be putting stop start idle tech into the newer models.

Because I am often driving in hilly terrain one of the driving techniques I use to get better fuel efficiency on my Prius is I synch my accelerations with a downhill segment of the road and avoid accelerating on uphill segments. This is call *Driving with Load* in Hypermiling circles. The rocket science term for this type of driving is called: gravity assist , gravitational slingshot, swingby, or a gravity assist manuever [2].

[1]
    Edison2 | Progressive Automotive XPRIZE
    Edison2 - Welcome

[2]
    Gravity assist - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

17. miscrms

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    wxman likes this.
  18. KyleSTL

KyleSTL Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    I was quite intrigued by the new Accord Hybrid, and very impressed that it acheives very impressive mileage for its class, and is within 10% of the Prius's economy despite being heavier, larger and less aerodynamic. And on top of that it makes a combined 200 HP. What kind of improvements do you seeing coming in 2015 with the 4th generation Prius? How will Toyota improve on what are already the two most fuel efficient non-plugin hybrid on the road?

I believe all new BMWs now have start-stop and regenerative braking, which is how cars like the 320i, 328i and 528i get reasonable gas mileage for cars of their sizes without hybrid systems. They have undersized the alternators for these cars for less parasitic loss, knowing that the regenerative braking will recharge its 12V battery system. Now, BMWs ActiveHybrids are a joke, as the 320i gets equal combine mileage as the ActiveHybrid 3 (and better highway MPG) and the 528i is better than the ActiveHybrid 5. They hybridized their 3.0L turbo engine to get increased performance, instead of the smaller 2.0L turbo for better fuel economy. Rediculous, considering the 2.0L turbo makes 180-240 HP (which is plenty) and the 3.0L turbo makes 300 HP. Who needs an extra 35 HP when the 335i can already do 0-60 in 5.1 sec without the hybrid (which the ActiveHybrid does it in 5.2 sec due to the extra weight)?

19. KyleSTL

KyleSTL Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    I guess I just posted this to see if anything was wrong (other than maybe my expectations) with my first road trip. When I had my Volvo I often exceeded the rated MPG by 2-4 (28 rating, 30-32 MPG computer, 28-30 MPG calc) using mostly the same driving habits (Illinois just raised the speed limit, so I used to set the CC to ~73 MPH in IL and 75-78 MPH in Indiana). To be under the rated MPG by ~20% was not what I was expecting (instead of the 0-15% above). Hopefully I'll be closer to the rating in the spring and summer, and maybe I'll try my hand at grill blocking later this winter or next to try to improve. I only do long drives like this 4-6 times per year, but it adds up to a good percentage of my annual 12000 miles, so any improvement I can get in MPG would be a huge cost savings.

20. prius4-me

prius4-me Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    Were there any items in the back seat that covered the battery air vent?