1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Voice-Activated Dialing - How?

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Audio and Electronics' started by vk-30, Mar 14, 2005.

1. vk-30

vk-30 Junior Member

I have a 4-week old black option 6. Got a Nokia 6230 bluetooth phone this weekend. I've been unable to figure out how to do voice-activated dialing with the car. A press of the phone answer/call button doesn't work, nor does hitting that button then hitting the "talk to the car" button right above it.

What am I missing?

Also, with some difficulty, I got some #s transferred to the car. If I dial using the Prius screen, everything works fine, and the sound is quite good. If I dial using the phone, the bluetooth system doesn't pick it up for about 15 seconds, *and* the phone's internal speaker doesn't work either - so people think no one's there and they hang up. Any ideas here?

TIA.

=-VK

2. V8Cobrakid

V8Cobrakid Green Handyman

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    The bluetooth delay is normal. mine picks up right after the person says hello the first time.. so when the audio cuts out.. just talk.

From what i know.. you can't voice dial... and.. certain phone suck with their bluetooth capatibility *shrug*.. it's the harsh truth. *shrug*

put numbers into the one touch dial. the car will dial strait out. no delays. always work.. or.. at least with the V551 there has been 0 problems.

3. Robert Taylor

Robert Taylor New Member

That is right, you have to say hello when you dial using the phone instead of the NAV system. The moment you get that connected screen, shout at them. The person is always confused at first, since they said hello and for a moment heard nothing.

One touch dialing is the way to go, 90% of your calling needs can be met there. The system works better than my previous aftermarket handsfree system.

4. vk-30

vk-30 Junior Member

V8C and Robert,

Thanks. Knowing that the delay characteristic is normal helps a lot. The phone seems to work fine in general. When I first get in the car, it says "bluetooth connection failed" after a minute or less, but then a minute later says "bluetooth connection successful" and it then stays on after that pretty consistently.

I hate the trouble with adding to phonebook, and find it really annoying that you can't add entries manually.

One hopes they'll do a software update at some point that we could go get.

The sound, though, is great with the 6230! People I talk to say they can hear me, and I can hear them fine.

Thanks again.

VK

5. raf

raf Junior Member

I tried to get voice activated dialing to work with the Motorola V551, but no luck. Toyota Customer Satisfaction told me that the Prius doesn't support it. I was told by a Cingular tech support rep that the phone supports voice dialing through Bluetooth; he does it himself with a Bluetooth headset.

I too have experienced the delay when dialing from the phone. You can break the Bluetooth connection by going to the Add Phone screen. Cancel when you are done. Of course, you don't get the hands-free then.

The lockout of many of the phone functions while the car is moving is a negative safety feature, since people just dial from the phone, which is far more dangerous.

6. K6YXH

K6YXH New Member

Sprint has a feature called "Voice Command" - I use it with my LG325 Bluetooth connection in the Prius and find it quite good - we never have to touch the phone.

I have a 1-touch slot set up with the Voice Command access number, an asterisk - all I do is press the 'phone off the hook' button on the steering wheel, then press the 1-touch entry and I'm in voice dial mode. I can speak the numbers or the name of the person I want to call.

Voice Command uses Sprint's computers to recognize voice - it's not the phone's voice recognition, and there's no training required - my wife and I share the car and have the same phones - I maintain our phone lists on the Sprint PCS servers. Voice Command allows you to create and maintain lists of 100s of numbers via the Internet, and you can export and import the lists. There's even a way to ask for a person's phone number and make additions and changes via the voice interface. My cost is $5/month over the rest of my plan.

Do any of the other mobile phone providers offer a similar service?

7. Xiidaen

Xiidaen New Member

Cingular has a similar feature, works fine with the Prius (though I have clarity issues at some times) -- I programmed the activation key (*8) into the prius dialer, now I hit that and go from there. The system allows you to import a contact file from outlook -- no need to setup voice dials for each number -- dump your whole outlook phonebook in there and say 'Bob Smith' and the system takes care of the rest.

Now, you need to learn that it pronouces names as they are spelled, but it's still quite useful.

The only drawback

8. shulmda

shulmda New Member

I have a v551 and Cingular and am somewhat annoyed that I can't make the voice dial work through the Prius. It works through my Bluetooth headset perfectly. In order to use the Cingular Voice Dial, you have to pay a monthly fee. This is for people who have phones that don't support voice dial. If you have a motorola v300, v551, or v600, you don't need to pay this fee. Your phone can already do this. Don't listen to Cingular on this, they want your money.

Does anyone know how to program the Voice Mail to automatically enter your password via a 1-touch entry? I have tried adding an entry with my phone number follow by a p for pause and then the password, but the Prius doesn't seems to send the additional digits. It works from the phone, but the same phone book entry (uploaded via bluetooth into the phone book) doesn't work from the Prius. Any ideas?

9. abeles

abeles New Member

I find the couple/few second delay to be really annoying - so much so that I don't make hands-free calls any longer. When you call people using that feature, some think it's a telemarketing call (due to the delay like the predictive phone dialing systems produce) or in some cases, hang up because they think no one is there.

I had a Motorola V710 that worked perfectly with the Prius - I wish the V551 did as well.

Jim

10. pcjr

pcjr New Member

have you gotten the built-in voice recognition on your phone to work with the Prius? Otherwise, the network voice recognition by subscription fee might be the only way to go.