1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

want to upgrade prius 2012 type 2 HU to OEM type 4 or 5?

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Audio and Electronics' started by Donald223, May 11, 2014.

1. Donald223

Donald223 New Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Hello, I have question. I have prius 2012 type 2. Now, I want to upgrade the head unit to the one oem like in prius 2012 type 4 or 5 with navigation ... Can I just replace it? I was told that If my prius does not have jbl speaker system, I can not. Is it correct?

2. mrstop

mrstop PWR Mode

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    If you are going to replace the headunit, why not go aftermarket? You will probably be more satisfied with the results and don't have to worry about JBL. I don't have the upgraded head unit, but there are plenty of posts on how the navigation and sound isn't too good.

3. -1-

-1- Don

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    :)I agree, aftermarket would be best if you're going to replace what you have. So many choices available. I have the 7" factory system, with no complaints.

4. defrankond

defrankond Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    i have wondered this as well. is it possible for a package 5 with jbl to be upgraded to the HU with nav without any additional wiring or fuss? my current HU has the notorious volume control and tune knob that works occasionally and is very frustrating.

5. zoeboi954

zoeboi954 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    this can be done but the problem is the wiring harness is different from jbl and non jbl prius. meaning you will have to cut the wire harness out of the prius with the jbl system. also you'll have to tap the jbl wire harness to your prius. the jbl speakers aren't a problem because a radio can work with technically any speaker. its just wont sound as good as a car with a jbl system.... to sum this up its not worth the time and headache trying to make it work. its much easier buying an aftermarket head unit

6. defrankond

defrankond Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    I have a jbl system already.

7. Spooled

Spooled Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    the JBL system is terrible, poor interface and poor sound quality

8. defrankond

defrankond Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    I guess I don't have a issue with it. It seems to have more than enough bass. The only thing I don't like is when the bass drops and gets boomy the plastics creak.