1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Warning Lights-Loose Gas cap?

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by RXY CAT, Oct 13, 2009.

1. RXY CAT

RXY CAT New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    2006 Prius w/75,000 on it with regular service

Filled up with gas Sunday night, drove a short distance, noticed these warning icons were lit up-master warning light, (O) w/! inside--brake, VSC, Check engine and Hybrid system.

Pulled over, gas cap not tight, so tightened that. Stopped 1 hr for dinner--had to eat anyway. Came back, same lights on. Drove 2 miles home, car seemed to drive fine.

Got up early on my day off, called dealership, they said it probably was the loose gas cap and to drive it for 3 trips of some distance and it should be fine. Drove 5 miles that day, no change

Tuesday morning, only the Master warning, check engine and hybrid sytem lights were on, drove 35 each way to work, car seemed to run fine, but on the trip home all the lights lit up again and then a fan sound came from the vent on the right rear passenger side--battery fan?

Ask me a cat health question and I could answer it, this I feel means a trip to the dealership for me but I'd like to go in armed with some info.

Thanks in advance, Teri

2. Patrick Wong

Patrick Wong DIY Enthusiast

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Hi Teri,

Yes, you should visit the Toyota dealer soon. If the gas cap was loose, the check engine light would come on but the brake, VSC and hybrid system lights should not. Maybe the inverter coolant pump has failed. Good luck.

1 person likes this.
  3. RXY CAT

RXY CAT New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Have an 8:30am appt tomorrow...I'll need luck,thanks!

4. doctorman

doctorman Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    wow Prius gets really scary if you don't have full warranty on it!!

5. RXY CAT

RXY CAT New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Sorry for the late update to my post about the warning lights...turned out it was the "main battery" failure and they replaced it under warrently--whew!!

6. triumph1

triumph1 Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Would that be traction or auxiliary?

7. qbee42

qbee42 My other car is a boat

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Traction.